Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yamaha V6 impeller question

Could anyone help me to find out the exact difference between following impellors (Genuine Yamaha partnumbers)
    6E5-44352-00-00
    6E5-44352-01-00

I was told they are interchangeble. Why those 2 numbers ?
    Any pictures to show the difference ?

Thanks, T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Likely means same part different supplier to Yamaha.
    Ray Neudecker Over The Hill Gang Outboard Racing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the answer, but the "likely" part doesn't answer it yet...

Could this be the difference ?????
    I can tell honestly tell you the new one didn't give enough pressure/flow on my V6 200hp Yam.
    Please advize, you Yam dealers surely know.

Grts, T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Impeller Yamaha 6E5-44352-01 for sure.jpg   Impeller Yamaha 001.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The -01 is a newer impeller than the -00, like it was something that was in stock for a long time. The picture of the one on the right is wore out.
    Fellow G-Man of the Sunshine Syndicate-Dixie Wrecked Chaptor..
    We Put The F. U. in FUN
    94 17MA Maverick 115 Yamaha
    2006 Mustang GT, with a belt driven air cleaner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please explain your method of instalation of the impellor into the cup. Often the problem is caused by the use of lubricants in the instalation.
    Yamaha does not explain its parts numbering system, the likely is the explanation given by the techs. Those are direct crosses though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies!

We installed the impeller on the shaft and then put the waterpumphousing on top of it while moving the impeller blades in the correct direction.
    I realize it would 've been better to put the impeller into the housing and then install both together on the shaft.

As our manual said the impeller should move freely over the shaft, we applied some grease. But still, our new impeller (the one in the picture) was kinda sticky shifting over the shaft.
    We pushed the impeller against the back of the waterpumphousing as far as possible.
    We ran the motor on the hose and all looked fine. Waterpump clearly showed a relative strong ray of water... After 3 minutes the overheating alarm went off, we've shutdown the motor, keeping the hose on.

The day after we've openedup our mid again to inspect the waterpump. Impeller looked fine, no problems. We've ran out ideas and finally installed our old impeller back.
    We ran the motor on the hose and it immediately showed a stronger ray of water in comparison to the new impeller. Problem solved.

We think it's not as much our method of installation, but the type of impeller that caused all this.
    As you can see in the pictures our old an new impeller have a difference at the shaft. There is an extra chambering in the old one, while the new one is flat. This causes the old one to seal off properly. Also the old one has a copper bush while the new is just rubber -> the old one can move freely over the shaft, while the new one is sticky on the shaft....

I run my old impeller now, but I need a new impeller quickly.
    Now, what are your thoughts ? Did we do an improper installation, or did we get a wrong impeller (although it's a genuine Yamaha part and it should fit and be OK) ?
    What impeller should I order ?

Hope it helps, and I look forward to your comments.
    Kind regards,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one with the brass bushing is an aftermarket impeller so you may have an aftermarket housing also. As far as I know the original Yamaha impellers have always had a plastic bushing, someone might correct me on this tho. If you want be sure order a complete water pump kit and new plastic housing so you know what you got.
    We Put The F. U. in FUN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have the rubber oring on top of the cup between the cup and housing in place as well as the washers, wave washer, etc that go on top.
    Did you replace the wear plate? I found there are two wear plates, one for the V4 and one for the V6 that look almost identical but the V4 plate has a smaller water passage. Lastly, could it be your water supply? Put it in the water on the trailer and see what it does. And yes, I just went through this myself...
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VectorPat View Post
    The one with the brass bushing is an aftermarket impeller so you may have an aftermarket housing also. As far as I know the original Yamaha impellers have always had a plastic bushing, someone might correct me on this tho. If you want be sure order a complete water pump kit and new plastic housing so you know what you got.
    Thanks, seems all logical and true... I did find pictures of impellers like my old one, and they were all aftermarket products.
    Safest thing to do is indeed to buy impeller + housing together although my housing is far from worn out.
    Do you think I suffered powerhead damage ? Personally I don't expect it, cause rpm was at idle, there still was waterflow and overheating alarm did function as it was designed to do so... And the engine still runs OK.
    Anyhow, I'll go out on the water this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    Make sure you have the rubber oring on top of the cup between the cup and housing in place as well as the washers, wave washer, etc that go on top.
    Did you replace the wear plate? I found there are two wear plates, one for the V4 and one for the V6 that look almost identical but the V4 plate has a smaller water passage. Lastly, could it be your water supply? Put it in the water on the trailer and see what it does. And yes, I just went through this myself...
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, never thought I'd ran into an impeller issue, as I double checked the partnumbers....
    Wear plate, nor water supply could have caused this. Waterpressure on the hose was more than OK. It must be the impeller or impeller-installation as we did following test in this sequence :
    1/ test with installed new impeller -> bad result, no sufficient waterpressure/flow
    2/ test with re-installed old impeller -> good result, noticeable higher waterpressure/flow

@ Ray : you said : "Often the problem is caused by the use of lubricants in the instalation"
    Could you give the correct installation tips with regard to greasing ? Should one grease the shaft, the impellerblades... please advize.

Kind regards,
    T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffy View Post
    We ran the motor on the hose and it immediately showed a stronger ray of water in comparison to the new impeller. Problem solved.
    Make sure you are not chasing a ghost here - on a Yamaha V6, the pisser gets weaker when the engine gets warmer and the t-stats in the heads open.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    Make sure you are not chasing a ghost here - on a Yamaha V6, the pisser gets weaker when the engine gets warmer and the t-stats in the heads open.
    Thanks, but I'm sure. -> The difference was quite significant. Also the powerhead temperature staid low, no alarms anymore. Also the temperature of the water comming out of the pisser staid low.
    T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there is any doubt about the water pump replace EVERYTHING no matter what it looks like. Then at least you where the problem isnt. The plastic housing can get distorted, so can the inserts.
    We Put The F. U. in FUN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Often, people use the lubricant on the impellor since it can be difficult to fit in the cup when new. This will result in poor or no performance from the pump.
    I have found dropping it into hot water and soaking will unstiffen it enough to go together the first time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dish liquid is the best thing to install water pump impellers with. Grease will harm the rubber parts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That interesting, I have used a light coat of grease or oil all the time and never had an issue.
    We Put The F. U. in FUN

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast