Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were 17 identical 15ft Seebold tunnel hulls built for The Bill Muncey Wide World Marine race in 1975 at the legendary Miami Marine Stadium. If anybody out there still has one of these hulls or knows the where aborts of any of the other hulls & or engines, it would be great to get some pictures posted! Contact me at mrbenson55@gmail.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Video of the month for June, out of the GoSeeTV studios, will be "Title Drive"- the 1969 OMC Promotional video they showed at all the big Boat Shows in the spring of '70. The video includes footage of the Havasu World Outboard Championships, Paris 6 Hour Grand Prix, Berlin 6 Hour, Gold Coast Marathon 225 & Lake Elisnoire 500 - all from the 1969 racing season. Some of the drivers featured will be Scotti, Molinari, McConnell, Sanders, Pruett, Hill,& McKinnley! Stay tuned for more Tunnel Boat Racing in the '70's action!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolltv View Post
    I had dad look at that and wondered if that was him and he said yes, cool, he thought your dad bought one of the boats raced in this? Matt
    Some of these boats hung around Florida for years, but Dad never had one. He had only one SE that he built after he was hurt in his Mod-U Scotti in Tallahassee in 1975. It was dark blue and had a deep tunnel so it would carry through the turns. It was fast, but hard to balance. He won just about everything in the southeast with it and sold it to Ian Bolton in probably 1979?? Ian blew it all the way over and landed upright the first time he drove it at The Stadium. Ian sold it to Danny Critchfield, who promptly blew it over. Don't know where it went after that. The IROC Seebolds had very low dyhedral (SP?), almost flat sponsons. They didn't turn well...slid like a flat-bottom.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolltv View Post
    I had dad look at that and wondered if that was him and he said yes, cool, he thought your dad bought one of the boats raced in this? Matt

#43 is Jeff Titus's SE design. I believe #327 is one of the Seebolds we are discussing. Also in the pic are Randy Tilton (killed shortly after in a SJ) and Bob Hamilton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only boat that stayed in Florida that I know about was bought by a guy named Andy Hancock, he had the dry storage and restaurant there at the Stadium. He had some idiot who had never raced but knew it all drive for him. Had a race some time later in the stadium, Divisionals maybe? The guy couldn't drive. came to the pits threw his new helmet on the asphalt and went back out sans helmet, said he couldn't hear the engine properly!!!! Crashed the boat and it wasn't rebuilt IIRC, but that was a long time ago.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    The guy couldn't drive. came to the pits threw his new helmet on the asphalt and went back out sans helmet, said he couldn't hear the engine properly!!!!
    Now there's one I hadn't heard before...and I thought I knew every excuse ever used in boat racing.......

"The dog ate my trim switch".........
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In November of 1975 they staged a shootout of sorts at the legendary Miami Marine stadium. Apparently, the Unlimited Hydroplane drivers were conspicuous by their presence. From all over the world they gathered together some of the biggest names & most successful chauffeurs in history to come to Miami, Florida to drive identically prepared 75hp Evinrude-powered Seebold tunnel hulls. As mentioned, it was a historic 1st & though the field did include a majority of participants directly associated with Outboard Pleasure Craft, there happened to be these 3 Unlimited drivers who proved beyond question that they can perform at every end of the competitive spectrum. They were especially concerned during the 3 trial prior to the race about the drivers they had invited who had very little experience with OPC racing! to be continued...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 1975 Offshore World Champion, Wally Franz of Brazil, had driven some OPC equipment in light traffic. Some years back, Billy Schumacher did help co-drive to win the Paris 6 Hour Grand Prix Marathon. Jerry Bangs rented an OPC rig in Seattle, Washington for practice purposes & proceeded to crash it! When Mickey Remund walked into the pit area for equipment familiarization he remarked "My God, what is this? The last time I was in an outboard powered motor boat was when my 'ole man took me fishin' when I was a kid!" to be continued...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the 15 selected drivers, Billy Schumacher weighed the most at a huge 208 pounds! This then became the common denominator with the balance of the field using sand bags & 5 gallon fuel tanks filled with water (5 gal. = 50 lbs.) to make up the weight handi-cap to equal his bodyweight. If there was a flaw in the event, it could have been Unlimited Hydroplane World Champion, Billy Schumachers bulk- being the measuring stick by which all the other drivers were measured by! The bigger the driver, the slower the boat goes. You figure it out!

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    5 gallons of water weighs 40 pounds. I don't want that extra 10 pounds to fall on me.

An advantage Schumacher had over some of the other drivers ... he was one of the first outboard J class National Champions ... he had been racing since before he was a teenager.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    5 gallons of water weighs 40 pounds. I don't want that extra 10 pounds to fall on me. Sam- Are we talking US or Imperial gallons. Don't forget I'm from Canada. We also have the metric system up here so it could be 25 litres = 50 lbs

An advantage Schumacher had over some of the other drivers ... he was one of the first outboard J class National Champions ... he had been racing since before he was a teenager.
    The other advantage Schumacher had was his experience with a starting clock. You don't become National Unlimited Hydroplane Champion without getting a good start!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something truly historic was achieved when for 4 straight days, those triple 75hp Evinrudes ran & ran & ran- driven by some 15 different drivers, with not a hint of a failure. You have to remember that they invited the finest chauffeurs in the world to participate. There was a good deal of money at stake ($ 10,000.00 1st) & with 15 identical rigs for the event, plus 2 backup boats for "breakage" during what could have been some charging-hard driving. It was frightening to think about the position they would have been in should the group get into an extensive fender bender before the Final 10 lap race! to be continued...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark, Your idea of something "truly historic" and mine are obviously poles apart.
    To make an engine last forever, just detune a little, limit the RPM, with a box, regular fuel, and a tried and tested 75 hp OMC fits the bill perfectly. Then you can make 'em all run the same
    Strang and Leek were the wise old men of racing and knew what to do to keep a show on the road-----a good example was the extra 2 rigs for when the clowns went to town.
    ER!!!!!! The finest chauffeurs [ non competitive drivers ] in the world I think not !!!!! A nice mix, yes,------not a Merc driver in sight-------there was never any danger of any charging-hard driving before the final 10 lapper, just accidents, by guys who did not know each other in a race situation.
    Probably----to be continued...........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't you know it, before the 1st Heat got under way-during the 1 minute gun, their worst fears were realized. In an instant, they lost 2 boats. One of the guys in the collision was lucky to get the boat back to the trailer, while the other boat involved in the accident driven by Barry Woods, sank. Oh, the casualties of racing wars! The whole week was one of continuous enlightenment, excitement & repartee that will never be forgotten. You could just feel the comradeship. They were professional race boat drivers, of course, but they were gentlemen first to be continued...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark---------I will take the 5th as i am just going out to lunch with friends---------Racing Wars ???????? Barry could start a war locked up in his own bathtub-------Probably to be continued !!!!!!!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast