Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, every winter for as long as I can remember, I have participated & contributed to bench racing. We all like to tell lies & swear a little when ever the opportunity presents itself, but this was something different. Certainly it had a obvious International flavor about it, but there was much more to it.They had a chance to learn an awful lot about one & other in considerably greater depth & realism. They had an a lot in common, but divergent political philosophies & varied social behavior just seemed to be the necessary ingredients to spark an explosive atmosphere! The drivers & many of their wives were calm & collected on the outside, but burning as only a true professional can burn on the inside to drive the best race of his life!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pressure of performance could never have been more obvious. The drivers, many at least, had traveled great distances to participate.There was $25,000.00 at stake. They would be driving against the finest drivers in the world. They would be exchanging boats & might therefore climb into one that had been abused by another driver in a previous heat! In closed course competition, they would be responsible for a right hand turn in the back chute. And probably more than anything else, the event would be televised by Wide World of Sports, watched by 40 million Americans! A documentary film was being produced of the event to be used for the next 5 years all over the world! to be continued...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During the Preliminary Heats, you could feel the anxiety and tension build to just prior to the Final Heat draw for boats. And suddenly, starkly, if for only an instant, the 12 Finalists truly seemed becalmed in a sea of uncommon quiet, as they sat in their individual cockpits, just moments before the Final Heat Explosion. It was like an Equinox, when day & night are equal. All I can say here is that we all know that Unlimited Hydroplane Drivers were beautifully represented at all ends of the competitive spectrum. Jerry bangs ran last nearly every heat. Mickey Remund adapted quickly and ran strong, until he blew his boat over! In the Final Heat, where all the money happened to be, Billy Schumacher nailed every one at the starting line - on a clock start- and though pressed by Barry Woods (Penalized for hitting buoy) led all 10 laps & win 10K.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think of the Unlimited drivers, Schumacher had the most amount of outboard seat time, including actual tunnel hull race seat time that the others completely lacked. When you combine experience with talent, the result is inevitable

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, they had never been able to get that much exposure for Unlimited Hydroplane Racing, as they did with the Unlimited Hydroplane drivers involved in the,"Bill Muncey Wide World Marine Invitational" .The highlight of the publicity, they said, was a racing boat driving around with a buoy skewer on it's pickle-fork (Barry Woods at it again after crashing & sinking earlier in the competition!) So, with that format, though maybe in some areas imperfect, it sure captured the imagination of millions! That is really what it is all about, as far as I am concerned.

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark benson View Post
    Unfortunately, they had never been able to get that much exposure for Unlimited Hydroplane Racing, as they did with the Unlimited Hydroplane drivers involved in the,"Bill Muncey Wide World Marine Invitational" .
    I disagree, that was just the race organizers blowing their own horn ... Unlimited races got plenty of publicity exposure every year. They were regularly on TV and radio and usually covered in a few magazine articles. This race was on TV once and mentioned in one magazine; the Bardahl and Budweiser boats were famous even to those who did not read boating magazines.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, they had never been able to get that much exposure for Unlimited Hydroplane Racing, as they did with the Unlimited Hydroplane drivers involved in the,"Bill Muncey Wide World Marine Invitational" .The highlight of the publicity, they said, was a racing boat driving around with a buoy skewer on it's pickle-fork (Barry Woods at it again after crashing & sinking earlier in the competition!) So, with that format, though maybe in some areas imperfect, it sure captured the imagination of millions! That is really what it is all about, as far as I am concerned.
    When the "HIGHLIGHT" of the race was Woodsie racing with a bouy speared by a pickle----{ i would call it an error of judgement.} That just about sums it all up Mark. Like i told you before -Barry could start a fight, alone, in a locked bathroom.
    No other boat racing ever got the exposure of the "UNLIMITEDS" Old ladies in downtown Wogga Wogga knew all about them. Man did you ever get that call wrong.
    Don't think ZIKES would have rushed to sign you up as ace reporter Mark.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even up to about 10 years ago when someone found out I raced powerboats they always asked me if I drove Miss Budweiser. Probably the most famous race boat name in history.
    The Unlimiteds were on air regularly in some markets, and nationally as well. There was a radio network so a fan in Miami could listen to the races in Detroit and Seattle. I would be willing to bet the Unlimiteds have garnered more lines of type and air time than any other category in boat racing.
    While I liked the BM Invitational, and was there, it was a one shot deal, over and done with. The limited class boats were not on National TV again until 1982 when the ESPN All American Challenge Series ran with 6 one hour shows from the Miami Marine Stadium and features both Inboards 145, 280, JSS and OPC boats.
    In the later 1970's the 7 liter hydros did a nationally televised production from Miami that was syndicated out.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom line is, whilst it was a good bit of publicity for OMC--and that's all it was. As something that went down in the annals of power boating history,---------i don't think so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Professional sports continuing to price themselves out of business, the world public has never been more vulnerable to our sport of Boatracing. Interesting new concepts in Marine Competition can truly capture the imaginations of millions, and thereby justify the financial support of the business community. For a couple of bucks, & in many cases for free- the average guy can entertain & be a, "Sunday Afternoon Hero" to his whole family! For these many varied reasons, I would like to say that we are all in our own way, interested in the roots of Unlimited Factory Outboard Racing History & like to be "Armchair Quarterbacks" & "Weekend Bench Racers!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Professional sports continuing to price themselves out of business, the world public has never been more vulnerable to our sport of Boatracing. Interesting new concepts in Marine Competition can truly capture the imaginations of millions, and thereby justify the financial support of the business community."
    Sorry but what Kool-aid are you drinking?
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

3 X APBA Formula V Nat'l Champion
    APBA Formula V US-1
    It took me 29 years to become an overnight success.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electric Acid Kool-aid! Is there any other kind? Be thirsty my friend!
    Last edited by mark benson; 06-21-2010 at 12:00 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    think this just about died a natural, which is about right. The horse may be upright but it 'ain't galloping -----time to bury it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's never over 'til the "Fat Lady Sings!" Just so you guys know, most of the replies to this thread I did were not written by me, but by "The Man" himself, Bill Muncey & are from his column in Powerboat Mag. in the months following the "Big Race." So, have some respect for those who are no longer with us! Bill Muncey was tragically kill in 1985 in Mexico, doing what he loved most in life and that's racing Unlimited Hydroplanes on the ragged edge!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mark:

No offense intended..................but

I realized some time ago that most of your posts are quotes, of some form or another, from old magazines, race programs, or news articles......and that's fine, but you really need to note that when posting. Some of us who lived through those days in the first person are writing from direct experience and memory (not always the most accurate method, but it is the best we've got).....While direct media quotes are interesting, many of those are skewed for any number of reasons and the accuracy is also questionable.

Simply put, if you are going to rely on printed research then post it in quotes with the name of the media source so we know where you are coming from......

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy"

---- Willie Shakespeare

Of course, if you are using your own memories then no quote's are needed.

Thanks for all the videos and historic items.

Respectfully,

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 08-18-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast