User Tag List

Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesGang View Post
    I was shocked. Bobs moisture came through the gel. A lot of the core was dryer on top and black on the bottom. Still bonded to the glass on top and totally delaminated below. Stringers and transom totally dry. A couple years after the repair there were other areas away from that repair that you could see the bottom of the boat was sagging. Probably totally delaminating again in different spots. Oh and by the way the Blue one that I had a picture of on here with twins. It says regal on the side but it was build in Stepps shop before the molds were moved and it also a kevlar boat. I ordered it new. Thats a good one.
    This is just a prime example of a bad layup, the gelcoat was most likely not thick enough also/or did not properly cure and left to many air-voids. Very lucky that you guys caught it when it did, because that boat was going to delaminate for sure. I have seen bottoms completely fall off of the hull, Just when you think you have seen everything there is a new one out there to catch you by surprise. Steel nails holding the floor to the stringers does not surprise me one bit. How about cut up shipping pallets stapled together and used for stringers with a layer of woven roven over them?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My boat had the stringers screwed to the core with sheetrock screws. Some of the crap these boat builders do never cease to amaze us. I have heard stories of one of the crappier center console fishing boats built using steel fence piping as deck supports. The pipe ended up breaking itself out of the hull. Unbelievable....

21' Shadow--250 3.0l

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87starflite View Post
    My boat had the stringers screwed to the core with sheetrock screws. Some of the crap these boat builders do never cease to amaze us. I have heard stories of one of the crappier center console fishing boats built using steel fence piping as deck supports. The pipe ended up breaking itself out of the hull. Unbelievable....
    Yea... Funny thing about that job, the guy pulled the pipe out of the side of the boat, put a pie plate over it and finished out the season before we cut the entire side off the boat to fix the problem... I was there for that one lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is some pretty funny stuff right there. Would probably make a great thread with stuff like this if there were enough pictures. Unfortunately i don't have any of Bobs boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know not to take any wind out of Keith’s sails when he took off in that electric cart in WalMart, but Chris once wrote an article with pictures of our boats in Hot Boat readers rides. In it he made comment to the fact that even in Shop Rite we dont let anybody get past us with another shopping cart. Can never have too much power. Good thing we never met up with Keith in Shop Rite, we would all be banned there too.
    In case any of you "Velo-Heads" are interested, here's the article Jamesgang was referring to!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris. Pretty funny. Hey am I lying about Bobs boat or what? You saw the bottom of it didn't you? As I remember you could see it from 10 feet away, and other than that he always kept it perfect. I never kept my stuff as clean as him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylarge View Post
    This is just a prime example of a bad layup, the gelcoat was most likely not thick enough also/or did not properly cure and left to many air-voids. Very lucky that you guys caught it when it did, because that boat was going to delaminate for sure. I have seen bottoms completely fall off of the hull, Just when you think you have seen everything there is a new one out there to catch you by surprise. Steel nails holding the floor to the stringers does not surprise me one bit. How about cut up shipping pallets stapled together and used for stringers with a layer of woven roven over them?

Yikes !! A great example of no matter how much you might like how a boat looks..you still better be prepared that you might have to rebuilt it ! No two boats are ever the same.

Great and valuable stores here ! Think I'll be keeping mine.
    1990 22' Activator Yami HPDI 300-sold-86.4
    1976 21' Challenger 2002 3.1 Yami 250 Vmax phase lll 89.7-sold
    1982 21' Superboat 300merc-87
    1990 22' Activator yami OX66 Vmax 250-84.2
    1982 30' Scarab-twin 200 Merc-sold
    1979 21' Challenger 300 Evenrude-sold
    1979 21' Superboat 200 Merc-sold-72

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is some pretty funny stuff right there. Would probably make a great thread with stuff like this if there were enough pictures. Unfortunately i don't have any of Bobs boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    In case any of you "Velo-Heads" are interested, here's the article Jamesgang was referring to!
    [QUOTE=JamesGang;2435121]Hey Chris. Pretty funny. Hey am I lying about Bobs boat or what? You saw the bottom of it didn't you? As I remember you could see it from 10 feet away, and other than that he always kept it perfect. I never kept my stuff as clean as him.[/QUOTE

Wish I thought it was funny back then, haha. I loved Jim's Velocity when he got it with the V8. So I buy basically the same setup. Then he comes up to Sacandaga to boat with me and his boat went by me like I was standing still. Real funny! Lol. I think he had me by like 13MPH. I bought the Second Effort V8 too. Maybe it needed even more effort, haha.

I remember the first day I got this boat in November. Took it to the river with my friend Gary. It only did like 65 the first trip. I was like WTF! Then it was so cold we hit a thin layer of ice for a couple hundred feet, haha. It was like glass out there! Lol.
    Last edited by BigJohnson; 02-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Chris. Pretty funny. Hey am I lying about Bobs boat or what? You saw the bottom of it didn't you? As I remember you could see it from 10 feet away, and other than that he always kept it perfect. I never kept my stuff as clean as him.
    Sure, I remember Jim! The bottom of Bob's boat was like a wet noodle laying on the trailer. My Shadow had a single 2.4 on it, and ran right with Bob's Second Effort V8.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, didn't you eventually get like 75 or 76 out of it with some set up?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob, didn't you eventually get like 75 or 76 out of it with some set up?
    That was back in the non GPS days so I really don't know. I did see that on a Nordskog speedometer. The boat was still a blast. I had it for 17 years. Slept on it many times. Came to visit you guys a few times from Albany. Lots of good memories in it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
    Sure, I remember Jim! The bottom of Bob's boat was like a wet noodle laying on the trailer. My Shadow had a single 2.4 on it, and ran right with Bob's Second Effort V8.
    It made it fun that they were so close in speed. We had some good runs together. Would love to have your boat with my 300X on it. Wonder how fast it would be?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres a question? Im goin from a 1.75 fleetmaster on a 250xs to a 1.62 torquemaster on a 300xs.I was currently running a 25p solas/Yamaha t-1 copy at 6150-6200.The 300xs will have a Dbr 1.1 kit on it prior to installing it.I believe taht would take it to roughly 330hp.I have no want to spin a 3.0 liter over 6400,I just dont see the point.Do you think this 25p will be to much.I have never run 1.62 gears.

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I couldnt get on plane with a 25 tropy with 1.62 gears with my 250efi on my challenger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey velocity72....how much setback did you have?

Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast