Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got Lots Of Lead?

Has anyone here heard of the new regulation (law) that was passed on April 22 about houses built in 1978 and before? It's if you call a contractor to do any work on your house and your house was built in 1978 or before you have to have a lead inspection and have it removed before any work can be done. I understand that this is all very expensive. Are there any contractors here on the Board who know about this? Or does anyone else have any knowledge about this?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually it is a law somewhere,what u should do is find all those houses and scrap the lead out ove'm and put it in your gastank!!! see,leaded gas is easy to get,just got to use your head tripps ps eric is talking and eating alot cya

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lead certified

actaully its all about the contractor. the law says you have to be lead compitant which means a class and a licensce. they cant teach the class fast enough for the amount of contractors so the contractors were complaining that they cant work legally without it and cant get it. i have it for my job and it is a class that says dont eat, smoke or apply cosmetics around lead. its a joke.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did the class on this a few weeks back. Needed it so I can work on rental units I have.
    In a nut shell, All work needs to be done in a lead safe manner. At the end of the work there needs to be a wipe test done and documented. The person doing the work needs to have the class and send money to the state. Then there good to go. You dont have to remove all the lead. Just need to do the work lead safe.

This reminds me, I need to send the money in to the state.
    John Dorn
    97 Triad 225 ProMax.
    67 (Howard Pipkorn) Hustler Wildcat with a 67 Mec 1100ss
    www.pipkornhustler.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this reminds me, i need to send the money in to the state.
    bingo!
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dorn View Post
    I just did the class on this a few weeks back. Needed it so I can work on rental units I have.
    In a nut shell, All work needs to be done in a lead safe manner. At the end of the work there needs to be a wipe test done and documented. The person doing the work needs to have the class and send money to the state. Then there good to go. You dont have to remove all the lead. Just need to do the work lead safe.

Sounds like to me......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dorn View Post

I'm a home improvement contractor and I had to get lead safe certified. (guess how much we had to pay the government to be certified...)The documentation you have to do for this is crazy. A simple window replacement that has some lead paint on it gets treated like an asbestos abatement. Poly taped to the walls and floors, guys in moonsuits doing the work, HEPA vacuums (the rule for vacuuming carpet is 3 minutes per square foot !!).

Imagine what your price would be to have one lead painted window replaced in a room. The time it would take to replace with window pales in comparison to the lead safe practice time that the government says you have to do.

There is no enforcement for this other than people turning other people in. If a contractor loses a job to another that is not performing lead safe work practices then he is going to get turned in.

Basically this is just another way that the government punishes legitimate contractors and pushes more work towards the black market who turn a blind eye to the regulations and permitting and do their work cash under the table.

Don't get me started on this. The regulation is poorly written and complete BS. There are three different organizations (federal, epa, and hud) who have their own variations on this and none of them talk to each other so the rules are all different.

I'm really getting down on all this. As a company that has been a family owned business since 1913 that tries to do everything by the book it gets worse every year. I'm convinced that every day we operate we break a dozen laws that we don't even know exist.

"Hello I'm the government and I'm here to help." F-off

Oh and by the way this doesn't apply to homeowners if you are doing the work yourselves, just contractors.
    Last edited by gregpro50; 05-09-2010 at 04:20 PM.
    '72 Glastron GT-150 Johnson Stinger 65
    '83 Hydrostream Varmint 2.4 225 Mercury
    '05 Hydrostream Voyager 250xs optimax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Will Not Comply..............
    Ron Paul 2012 Because its an election, not a Cult...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TUG View Post
    Will Not Comply..............
    That's my problem. Most aren't going to comply. I have to and my prices are going to reflect it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T took this dumb ass class, and the teachers couldnt answer one of my questions, the just kept refering i talk to my Lawyer. They really pissed me off when they mentioned 4 times during class how muck money they were making off this. After all the work you have to go through, then they tell you to bring the bags to the Dump, what kind of crap is that, i asked about cleaning the hepa vacumes 500.00 each for the cheap ones, they said you have to have 2 , one to suck the debris out of the other, Oh Then to the dump with it, thae is just another way the government is sucking the economy dry and putting all the money in their own pockets. I am so pissed at this law, dont even get met started.
    James Thompson V/P www.NEODA.org

Fly it high, Fly it often

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid View Post
    T took this dumb ass class, and the teachers couldnt answer one of my questions, the just kept refering i talk to my Lawyer. They really pissed me off when they mentioned 4 times during class how muck money they were making off this.
    The people that teach the class and certify you are sub contractors that the government pays to do this. They have to be happier than pigs in **** that this regulation went through. They are making money hand over fist.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its Friggin Sad, they tought nothing that wasnt in the book we got, that i couldnt have read myself, gave us a lamanated card on hoe to tell if a swiffer is dirty or not (jeeze i couldnt figure that out) and showed us how to lay down plastic on the floor, Im gettin po ed just thinking where my 195 to them and 300 to the govmt went, oh yea for the plastic cards.
    James Thompson V/P www.NEODA.org

Fly it high, Fly it often

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the state of WI, testing for lead is stricter then the rest of the states. At this time there is not a test kit that meets this. We cant even do the testing.
    John Dorn
    97 Triad 225 ProMax.
    67 (Howard Pipkorn) Hustler Wildcat with a 67 Mec 1100ss
    www.pipkornhustler.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    That's my problem. Most aren't going to comply. I have to and my prices are going to reflect it
    i hear you greg. do your best and and do the right thing . it will pay off if the man comes around to break your balls. i know it sucks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't plan on taking the test.
    I have been told that the regulations only come into play if you are cutting more than a 4 square foot hole in any singl room. That is you can cut up to a single hole or multiple holes that don't add up to more than 4 square feet.
    If I have to do a job that requires more than that the contract will say ( demolition and holes to be cut by others )
    I am so sick of GOV. regulations.
    Had to do all of the clases on handling refrigerants. Had to buy tools to recover the old stuff.
    SO the old stuff is supposed to be bad for the ozone layer and the new stuff isn't - SO WHY do we still have to recover R410A if it isn't bad???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast