Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trim Gauge/Sender Issue

I have a 1994 150hp mercury XR6 that came with the trim sender already installed. I installed trim gauge designed for mercury engines and it is reading in reverse. I tested the gauge to make sure it was working properly by disconnecting the sender wire and the needle went to full trim and then grounded the sender post and it went to full down. I then tested the ohms coming from the sender. When I trim up, the ohms decrease and when I trim down the ohms increase. My understanding is that this is working in reverse. According to documentation that I have read from 3 different trim gauge manufacturers, the ohms from the sender should be 10 ohms when the motor is down and 160 ohms when it is up so the ohms should decrease when the motor is lowered and increase when it is raised.

Do I need a different sender or is there something else that I am not seeing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimFromTN View Post
    I have a 1994 150hp mercury XR6 that came with the trim sender already installed. I installed trim gauge designed for mercury engines and it is reading in reverse. I tested the gauge to make sure it was working properly by disconnecting the sender wire and the needle went to full trim and then grounded the sender post and it went to full down. I then tested the ohms coming from the sender. When I trim up, the ohms decrease and when I trim down the ohms increase. My understanding is that this is working in reverse. According to documentation that I have read from 3 different trim gauge manufacturers, the ohms from the sender should be 10 ohms when the motor is down and 160 ohms when it is up so the ohms should decrease when the motor is lowered and increase when it is raised.

Do I need a different sender or is there something else that I am not seeing?
    It's likely that someone in the past tried to fix the sender and spun it beyond the stops. It's probably shot but you can try rotating it 180 degrees. To verify the positioning, the two wires should be comming out of the front when it's mounted with the ground wire going over the top and attaching to the rear screw.

Your gauge sounds fine to me but there are different resitances for different senders. None of them will work backwards just because they are the wrong resistance so I think your problem is the sender. Correction - Some will but normally it won't be for a Merc.

I went through this same ordeal with a new sender I bought on eBay. Turns out it was bad to begin with. I bought 4 or 5 different gauges thinking that was the problem and then finally ordered a new sender from Merc. All the gauges I bought worked fine after that.

S
    Last edited by sschefer; 04-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    Steve Schefer