User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: new race models

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and there is nothing like the sound of a 2,5 short shaft when you put it in the boat ramp period
    It does SNAP to attention then settles quickly, I really appreciate the slower engine idle and " IN GEAR " boat speed. Controlling idle speed through the guages is a bonus, excellant proactive warning and monitoring systems have ALREADY PROVED their worth. My "OLD FREIND" told me I'd probably want to take this engine off my boat one day, then again, he also told me I didn't want one of these motors. You know I LOVE YOU OLD GUY but respectfully I have some advice for YOU. BEFORE you " TIP OVER ", PASS THE TORCH, GO BOATING AND GET SOME MULTI FUEL OIL,- FOR US!!!.
    Last edited by xsflight; 03-12-2011 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ENGINES ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH MERCURY RACING DEALERS GENTLEMEN, - NO EXCUCES!!!! With a powerhead you can put on your lap it is no wonder they produce superior power to weight and performance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you use your motor for every day use, waterskiing, cruising, going fast?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Im not too sure of some of the claims being put out here, unless something changed from '05. But I can tell you mine was a great motor...Idled like a 25 horse, never a hesitation, started almost as soon as the key engaged, and never gave me one problem. $18K is steep, I paid $12K for mine, but the warranty wouldn't worry me. Again, unless something changed, when I talked to a merc engineer, he said these things couldnt be modified, due to the precise fuel mapping, and power designed for that RPM range. But theres always someone. Id buy another one in a heartbeat. Anyone want a 260?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by David
    CANT RACE GUYS ALL DAY LONG SO YES, ABSOLUTELY EVERYDAY USE. LOTS of - trolling, for northern pike @ 550 rpm, tons of hard slalom skiing, tubing with 2 tubes/riders/people, cruising at all speeds, lots of high speed burns and hard driving. In both extremely calm/rough and variable big waterbody conditions. Lugs very smoothly and has excellent running quality at ALL RPM'S. Pleasure to drive no matter the situation, speed, or load.
    Last edited by xsflight; 03-22-2011 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not too sure of some of the claims being put out here, unless something changed from '05.

When I asked Rick Mackie from MERCURY about what had changed in the generation 2 motors he said, " different heads, injectors, reeds, compressor and computer". I noticed other changes/improvements, simplifications/eliminations as well, eg: fuel cooler, compressor coolant loop, ignition coils, engine oil, WOT rpm range and gear ratio ect. So YES many changes, improvements and refinements from the gen 1 200xs and 2.5xs motors.
    Last edited by xsflight; 03-08-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to walk softly, and carry a big stick. I grew up inside a family owned vehicle maintenance/repair facility and my early exposure to BLOW DRYING PARTS and MUSCLE CARS made me a technology junkie. It has been MANY years now since I first heard the IDEA of "using a pressurized blast of air to atomize fuel". The LIGHTS TURNED ON and I thought, why had it taken so long to come up with that, WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA. That was almost a quarter century ago. Todays electronics allow for incredible control and finesse over the combustion process. Mercs experience shows, these motors are incredibly well tuned

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xsflight View Post
    When I asked Rick Mackie from MERCURY about what had changed in the generation 2 motors he said, " different heads, injectors, reeds, compressor and computer". I noticed other changes/improvements, simplifications/eliminations as well, eg: fuel cooler, compressor coolant loop, ignition coils, engine oil, WOT rpm range and gear ratio ect. So YES many changes, improvements and refinements from the gen 1 200xs and 2.5xs motors.
    Thats good to hear. On their site, RPM range is the same as my old one, but Im sure they made some improvement. When I bought mine, there were all these claims that they were faster than a 225X, and that claim was false. But I know they are a great motor, kinda wonder why they dont make them in a 20", it would be a great motor for an STV. Anyone got some pics of them on their rigs?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess that would be me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Chit what Hull is that????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful engine!

Are there issues with the transom? (see markings)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nnl9h1o.JPG   npgc43o.jpg  
    RIB Unlimited 600/Merc 150 ProMax ss
    Allison SS-2000/Merc 200xs ss
    Hydrolift T-17/Merc 200xs ss

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by JOHN S
    Thats good to hear. On their site, RPM range is the same as my old one, but Im sure they made some improvement. When I bought mine, there were all these claims that they were faster than a 225X, and that claim was false. But I know they are a great motor, kinda wonder why they dont make them in a 20", it would be a great motor for an STV. Anyone got some pics of them on their rigs?
    I would "GUESS" that the goal of these changes/improvements for the new motors was to RAISE THE BAR A LITTLE in terms of performance/speed/durability/reliability/economy ect. Both the ROS and SST have had their operating range limits raised by 500 to 7000 and 8000 RPM respectively, which is 8% more, so overall output/speed is likely better than previous models.The ROS - SS would be GREAT on a LOT of boats period!!!...
    Last edited by xsflight; 03-22-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by AENEAS
    Beautiful engine!

Are there issues with the transom? (see markings)
    Attached Thumbnails
    THANK YOU for the kind words AENEAS, your eyes are sharp but no issues. transom is awesome. Old motor bracket wear on GEL in picture 1 and intentional gap between planer board and hull in pic #2. I would have appreciated a POSITIVE comment or two on the rigging job from someone though, just kidding of course, worked hard at it, lots of hand made components.
    Last edited by xsflight; 03-26-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK YOU for the kind words AENEAS, your eyes are sharp but no issues. transom is awesome. Old motor bracket wear on GEL in picture 1 and intentional gap between planer board and hull in pic #2. I would have appreciated a POSITIVE comment or two on the rigging job from someone though.
    I'm glad to hear that because that transom and hull looks awesome! I dont think I've seen anythong like it before. Please post more pics!

/aeneas
    RIB Unlimited 600/Merc 150 ProMax ss
    Allison SS-2000/Merc 200xs ss
    Hydrolift T-17/Merc 200xs ss

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better to walk softly, and carry a big stick. I grew up inside a family owned vehicle maintenance/repair facility and my early exposure to BLOW DRYING PARTS and MUSCLE CARS made me a technology junkie. It has been MANY years now since I first heard the IDEA of "using a pressurized blast of air to atomize fuel". The LIGHTS TURNED ON and I thought, why had it taken so long to come up with that, WHAT AN EXCELLENT IDEA. That was almost a quarter century ago. Todays electronics allow for incredible control and finesse over the combustion process. Mercs experience shows, these motors are incredibly well tuned
    So when exactly did merc start using this technology you talk of in their production engines?
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast