User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Thread: new race models

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misprint - my ass - Merc racing has a long history of exceeding customers expectations, mission accomplished. My Mercury sources include 230 hours of GEN2 ass time on a boat I have 20+ years experience with, the only thing that is 200 about this motor are the stickers on the cowling. A flightcraft is a difficult thing indeed to improve upon, I had long realized a 15" motor could/had much potential to, but my experience has/is showing the Offshore/shorty/sportmaster combo are critical elements. This powerheads refinement/balance/smoothness/abilty/PERFORMANCE are endlessly satisfying and the package overall IS ridiculously capable. Their is NO substitute for this combination of attributes and the benefits/improvements this motor has provided. Shove the HP debate and the cost/warranty debate where the sun don't shine and good luck looking for a used GEN2. Talk to you soon boys.
    Last edited by xsflight; 08-01-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, they did send out new stickers for the dealers to put on the engines and they admited to the European Racing Association UIM that they had had a misprint. Most people here in Europe that have had an upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2 have gained 2-3 mph with the same rigging.

Still a fantastic piece of kit though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Well, they did send out new stickers for the dealers to put on the engines and they admited to the European Racing Association UIM that they had had a misprint. Most people here in Europe that have had an upgrade from Gen1 to Gen2 have gained 2-3 mph with the same rigging.

Still a fantastic piece of kit though.
    Very interesting to know!

What can be understood of an upgrade from a Gen 1 to Gen2? What do they change?

I wonder how much ho a 200xs gen2 puts out at a dyno on the propshaft than?

Thanks!
    http://www.geocities.com/fletcher_arrowbeau

Fletcher 17F6
    Hydrostream HST 20F

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree BigBoy, some interesting points made. It sounds like our brethren across the pond have in fact put a 200XS ROS Gen II on the dyno. Any chance we can get a post on the results of that?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Politics, I wonder how you can use the same rigging as before when your GEN 2 gearing is 7% taller AND the WOT operating range has been increased by 500 rpm. Top speed/performance increases from gen 1 motors will be realized. provided you turn a smaller prop. Right old guy??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xsflight View Post
    The rating tolerance for marine engines over 60 HP is only 5%, The 240 hp figure comes from merc. Obviously not many GEN2 motors out there yet. All I can say is buck up boys. These puppies are more than cute and they really wake up above 6500. The hp figures cannot convey how effortlessly they spin up, the snappy throttle response up high is a real treat. My engine I.D. tag indicates a HP rating of 225 which using the 5% rating tolerance in the middle of the stated WOT operating range adds up close to 240. With an available 4000 propshaft rpm these are in a league of their own.
    Is this new? It's always been 10% as far as I know, but I don't work for NMMA so things change. However, I don't think the manufacturers know because 150s are 165 and the 250HO E-Tec is 274. 225 ProMax is 245, etc. That would be interesting to find out for sure.
    Sam Baker
    On to the next project....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigtis on here is selling one now for a Great price to figure's all my money is going into my house

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was he using it on? did he like it? Micheal, make sure to remind Rick to at least read the thread now that I am on his marketing payroll when your on the racing tour.
    Last edited by xsflight; 08-02-2011 at 12:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RPM'S are the same as the gen I as far as I know, mine ran up to the 7100 mark before the warning horn came on. I agree Micheal, 05 is tempting. And I still call BS on that 245 figure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's see a dyno print on the Gen II ...........if it only makes 220 that's not gonna cut it in my book.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets all agree than, same as the gen 1 motor no changes/improvements,same rpm, no more power, to much money. Same compressor,injectors, reeds, heads, ignition coils, computer and gearing. Only new misprinted stickers.
    Last edited by xsflight; 08-02-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW....what a thread!

It sure sounds nice. And I am sure its an awesome motor. However, the "zealousness" (yeah I made it up) is very reminisent of the 2.5xs motor when it came out. WE see what happened to that. Even the mighty 300x which was touted to be 330 hp when produced, now is "about the same as the 300xs" when Merc Racings own data shows the 300xsto be "only" 305 HP (which isn't Mercury "famous" for underrating whats printed on the cowl?)

The no warranty thing is a deal killer in my book. Other than that. The 200xs ROS with the 1.75 ratio SM sounds to be a PERFECT "fishin motor" for an XB2002! :thumbsup:

Whats funny is you use this for waterskiing? I would think a big-block and their superior torque output would do much better for pulling loads than a high winding 2.5. I know those guys at Dyna-Ski absolutley LOVE the ETEC's for thier rigs.
    Last edited by DarthVMAX; 08-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Allison XB2002 Comp Pro / 2.6L Yamaha 200 VMAX TRP

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm would not be concerned about a lack of warranty, if the GenII motor makes the claimed 245. A dyno run will end all (or most) of the speculation. My understanding is that the GenII motors are very popular in Europe, so the data should not be that hard to get. If you can get the same HP as a Promax once gave you and twice the fuel mileage, that is worth close scrutiny. Maybe BigTis will weigh in with his real world experience on his GenI motor. I may be wrong, but I think that Lee Sanderson ran a 200XS GenI motor on the dyno so there certainly is a baseline.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never stated or implied the 245 hp figure. Rick Mackie admitted their were numbers like 240 "floating around the SST which peaks at 8000rpm. When I ask rick about the ROS he said sarcastically were just gonna call that one " a real stout 200 ". Because the 2.5xs was rated at 225 between 64-6700rpm, WOT for the GEN 2 200xs is between 6500-7000, my engine id tag indicates a HP rating of 225, oh and lets not forget I actually own/run one AND have 230 hours of seat time with it, I have absolutely no doubt the ONLY thing 200 about this motor is the cowling stickers. Thanks again to MY OLD FRIEND and our forward thinking european friends, the new ROS does fit the flightcraft like a handcrafted glove. the boat/motor are absolutely perfect for each other, the purpose of this thread is to encourage others to put the RIGHT motor on their boats. Without any doubt this motor is the right choice for MANY other boats as well. Bigger,taller,heavier motor? NOT. I waited many years to get a new motor that wasn't. I have been blessed, it has significantly improved an already incredible machine. Poof, where did the 225 sport xs go? Bring on the competition, just make sure you bring MORE displacement, HP, torque and a dyno sheet to 6000 rpm. Me I'll bring LESS weight, HP and torque, and a dyno sheet to 7000 rpm. Be prepared to have your big blocks fat ass handed to it by a measly little 2.5 with a powerband that is 20% wider.
    Last edited by xsflight; 08-03-2011 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you getting for topend numbers? Im kinda curious as to why merc didnt put a warranty on what is basically an opti powerhead. I never had an ounce of trouble with mine, and every second of its run time is recorded, so any warranty would be clear cut. I wish they made a retro mariner model, cuz I like to be different... ya know, retro. If this thing is a little closer in performance to a 225 promax than my 05 was, I would be thinking seriously about putting my 260 on the sales page.

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast