Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will there be a Etec 130HO?

I have a boat rated for 140HP and I would love to have an etec v6 on it. Is there any chance of evinrude building a 130 to 140 high output? I am tempted to buy a 150 etec and change the decals, but my dealer and insurance man dont agree. Right now it appears that a 135 opti is my best choice. I am mainly looking to improve performance while pulling barefooters, 40 to 44 mph range.

Thanks
    Last edited by skidrone; 03-12-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

130ho

In short, no.

Not enough market in that hp category. The 130 is a good motor for top end speed, low end is ok.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skidrone View Post
    I have a boat rated for 140HP and I would love to have an etec v6 on it. Is there any chance of evinrude building a 130 to 140 high output? I am tempted to buy a 150 etec and change the decals, but my dealer and insurance man dont agree. Right now it appears that a 135 opti is my best choice. I am mainly looking to improve performance while pulling barefooters, 40 to 44 mph range.

Thanks
    If you can find a late model 1998 130hp Johnson that is the 90 degree carb engine and it is in good shape, then you will have a real engine. It has more torque than your current one and the e-tec. This engine is basically a 140hp.
    Last edited by Rude Runner; 03-12-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 135 opti is a turd. I'd take the 130 e-tec over it by any and all means. The v-4 e-tec is a sweetheart of a motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hadn't considered carbed v-4s until now. Is this the one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item27afdaf14e
    I had looked at a 1992 mercury 135 at my local dealer, he actually talked me out of it since it is so much older than my boat. I just realized the johnson v-4 is the same cubes as the mercury 135 carb. I have also considered the evinrude 135 ficht, but they are hard to find, especially in 20".
    Last edited by skidrone; 03-13-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 1995-2000 Johnson/Evindrude 130 2.0L is an awesome ski engine.

They have a 2.25:1 gear ratio in a V6 housing which gives them awesome low end.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir, I have done the same tests that Evinrude.com has on the difference between the 115 Regular V4 and the Newer 115ho/130 Etec, these newer V4s really "Breathe", I personally have witnessed while driving and testing with aluminum props even and no setup a 6-8mph increase in speed of the Newer Ram Air V4s. If your looking NEW, then I wouldnt worry about the 135 Opimax, I would say the 130 is wayyyyyyy better, way more refined than the old V4s like I run, and really the perfect fit for a 140hp rated hull. Go to mirrocraft.com, look at a 1738 Holiday, 17ft,93inch beam, and 51mph with a 115ho, 19p aluminum 3 blade brp prop, and on the 2nd hole on mounting, so I would STRONGLY advise you to consider it. It is EASILY the sweetest overall motor out there, and I say "Overall". The 150 HO is right there also, if you need any help let me know. A good buddy of mine is a Product Development Manager for BRP, and I also know some others that can help us. Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 130 sounds good but a 140ho making 154 hp would be better. If only it existed.
    Im not convinced yet that I will notice much difference in power between my 125 and a 130 etec. I would like to have an etec, but if Im going to spend $9000 on a new motor I want some more power too. I'm starting to consider trading the whole boat, but I really like the size and layout of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, im being serious, a Regular 115 Etec would be a upgrade for your hull, the 115 and 125 Merc 4cylinders were NEVER known for any type of performance, really. The regular 115 Etec is over 115hp, and like I said, real speeds with a 115 HO I saw a 8mph increase, go to this site http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/...orts/PE546.pdf then check this one out http://www.evinrude.com/Content/Pdf/...orts/PE693.pdf now thats the same hull, anyway if you need ANY performance reports or opinion on the MOTORS, you can call me at 920-295-2069. We even set up a 130 last year on a 24ft 8ft 6inch wide pontoon, and dude the torque is killer, the top end is literally breath taking, I want one on my Lil 16ft Checkmate, but fortunately a old Evinrude worker wanted a new 175 Etec, so im getting his original 175 1996 Intruder V6, that should help my hole shot and top end. Anyways if you need any more data let me know, I can copy and paste with the best of them. oh, and the 115HO and 130 (same motor just different stickers) are better on Fuel, its simply more efficient. Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sold on etecs, I just find it hard to believe they can get 130+hp out of 105 cu. in. Those tests you listed should be very similar to my boat. I have found test results for my boat are; 115efi 4stroke (poorly propped)=40mph, 115 2stroke=43mph, 125 2stroke=46mph, 135opti=49mph.
    I can pull a barefooter at 42mph under nearly perfect conditions now with a very light load(no spotter). But add heat, humidity and 500lbs and it slows considerably. I would like to be able to maintain 42-43mph under those less than ideal conditions. I am starting to believe, now can I convince my wife. Just kidding, I can sell her on the easy starts and quiet operation.
    Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twin rig, are you a showskiier too?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally doubt that there will be a a 130HO, as someone said the 115 and the 130 are exactly the same engine by the exception of programing. I am a real believer of HO's I love them despite what other people say, what I would do is buy a 115HO and then maybe change the reed valves and add a dyno boost or something (the thing that changes the ECU setting in your engine) they sell them on ebay but I dont know if they are good or bad, and by that you would have a 115hp on the outside and probably and a 135-140hp in the inside (if the 115HO is actually 126hp) and have no problems with insurance. At least this is what we do in Turkey hope it helps

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skidrone,

Yes, in Wisconsin.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your opinions, now I just have to decide if I can afford a brand new motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dani View Post
    I personally doubt that there will be a a 130HO, as someone said the 115 and the 130 are exactly the same engine by the exception of programing. I am a real believer of HO's I love them despite what other people say, what I would do is buy a 115HO and then maybe change the reed valves and add a dyno boost or something (the thing that changes the ECU setting in your engine) they sell them on ebay but I dont know if they are good or bad, and by that you would have a 115hp on the outside and probably and a 135-140hp in the inside (if the 115HO is actually 126hp) and have no problems with insurance. At least this is what we do in Turkey hope it helps
    The "dyno boost" is a scam, you will be losing your money.

Ken