Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Problem is finding an actual mechanic who will really get into it as apposed to a parts changer. Haven't had much luck in Indianapolis. There is a big dealer primarily of new boats that I am going to go down and talk to face to face this Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by captglm View Post
    Just my opinion---Save yourself a lot of time and guess work. take it to a dealer who has a diagnostic tank. they're not that expensive to dyno test. they will attach gauges to tell you if its electrical or Fuel. They can also put it under a load to simulate everything you said.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    remember al its intermittent, it planes once ok, next time won't go, next attempt it goes, fuel system problems usually aren't intermittent, and the hi speed stator comes on around 2k rpm
    I agree 100%

But the EFI XRI system is very different form DFI or performance EFI system.

The primary fuel system is nothing more than a crankcase operated diaphragm pump that fills the Vapor tank. The fuel inside this vapor tank is the only supply for the EFI electric pump. The pump is not directly supplied from the fuel supply from the boat.

The Vapor tank is a min fuel tank the EFI pump is submerged in, just like current automobiles today with pump in the gas tank.

This is no more than a big carburetor fuel bowl with a float.
    A weak primary pump that can not keep the vapor tank full is a sure sign of this problem.

The problem is mostly found when coming off idle speed, acceleration only suppling min fuel to the vapor tank for low speed and not enough reserve so when you throttle the eclectic EFI pump will empty the tank, at the same time the extra RPM increases this helps the weak diaphragm pump filling the vapor tank. Then the next try the electric pump has enough fuel and no hesitation.

Main cause of low vapor tank fuel level.
    Fuel filter clogged
    Fuel line or restriction between fuel tank and engine
    Crankcase fuel pump
    Vapor tank bad float or needle valve.

A lot of general Marine mechanics do not understand this system.

A TPS adjustment will cause this problem, but not intermediate, it's a pass or fail. (With electronics there is always a exception) poor connections?

I learned all this about this system the hard way.

AL
    “The bitterness of poor quality & service remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may sound very simplistic but its easy and cheap to try - I have the same motor and when purchased had been sitting - water test 2000RPM would cut off like the key was turned every time. Ended up buying it and still wanted to drop RPM at 3400 if I applied throttle after it was gone thru - its easy to try but yours sounds like mine did - stator would be my second call but that can be tested I'm pretty sure.

Try some Evinrude Fuel System CLEANER, make sure its the right stuff - use it on deposit removal ratio - intially mine took 2 cans and 3 days got better and better then never missed a beat for 2 yrs - got a little sluggish to get up, another can and within 30 minutes was fine again - just say'in
    Last edited by eggsuckindog_; 03-03-2010 at 07:07 PM.

1976 SeaCraft Master Angler - 200 XRi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al, your reply makes sense and the rebuild kit is cheap. I think I am going to try that first.

Thanks to all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Al does have a good scenario

1976 SeaCraft Master Angler - 200 XRi

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

200 xri

After you have exausted yourself playing with this motor, and you have eliminated all fuel problems, please take it to someone that knows Merc's. Don't be surprised if the Mechanic tells you might need a ECU. These are known to go bad. I have changed a few out myself, and let me tell ya-it's a lot of fun diagnosing. They have a problem with the Map (manifold absolute pressure) circuit going bad. They can't be repaired. You will have to try out someone else's. Like I said they are a lot of fun to diagnose!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Dad has a 1993 XRI 150 that has the same exact symptoms. Have you found out anything yet ?

Thanks,
    22R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay........back to the top. All fuel lines re-done. Rebuild kit on lift pump. New fuel filters. Removed the quick disconnect from the fuel line. 99% of the time, the issue is after a long idle (usually when we drop in for the day and I have to go dump the trailer). This past weekend, it ran perfect on day 1, then on day 2 and day 3, right after dropping in, wouldn't plane. Bring it back down, rev it in neutral for a minute, then pop it on plane. No issues the rest of the day. I am 99% sure it is the fuel delivery system associated with this engine.......which is probably why they only made this engine in '92 and '93.

I am done screwing around now. Problem is I don't have a mechanic I TRUST within reasonable distance of me. Can a Pro Max or 2.5L EFI fuel delivery system replace the XRi fuel delivery system? Can't I just put an electric fuel pump on from one of those motors that will feed the injectors directly from the tank with the proper PSI as apposed to going through the whole lift pump, to canister to electric fuel pump design.

Maybe I am overly simplistic, but this fuel delivery system SUCKS!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al View Post
    I agree 100%

A weak primary pump that can not keep the vapor tank full is a sure sign of this problem.

The problem is mostly found when coming off idle speed, acceleration only suppling min fuel to the vapor tank for low speed and not enough reserve so when you throttle the eclectic EFI pump will empty the tank, at the same time the extra RPM increases this helps the weak diaphragm pump filling the vapor tank. Then the next try the electric pump has enough fuel and no hesitation.

AL
    Al..........these are the exact symptoms. You hit the nail on the head. I bought the rebuild kit for the primary pump. Problem is not nearly as frequent, but still there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dirty sock filter on the bottom of efi pump in vst tank will cause your problems. Have had that problem on a few yamahas that use the same pump and similar tanks. Take the efi pump out and clean the filter on the bottom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup thats the 1 in the u shape fuel line that gets clogged the other 1 is in the round cap with a center bolt in it just above the efi pump has a screen filter under the hat clean that too

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 2 different XRi engines do this o.... both i traced to a bad detonation module. The module was pulling timing out. I removed the module from each engine, and the rpms returned back to normal.
    1983 Laser LTV w/ 2.0 Merc
    1986 Laser 160V w/ 115 Merc inline six
    1992 STV Scorpion w/ 75 Johnson
    1979 Laser 2500 basser w/ 200 Mariner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scc82 View Post
    I dirty sock filter on the bottom of efi pump in vst tank will cause your problems. Have had that problem on a few yamahas that use the same pump and similar tanks. Take the efi pump out and clean the filter on the bottom
    ****......yet another filter......I have never seen an engine with so many fricken filters. I will check the VST Tank. Marquis......I already removed the cone shaped screen in the u shaped fuel line below the VST Tank.

HD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    secondary fuel filter is often overlooked its in the round black cap just above the the efi pump has a single bolt thru the center just clean and reuse also very good advice on removing the det box along with the idle stablizer box and set timin at 25* (run 91-93 gas) for max and idle timin at 0* to + 8* for 750 rpms idlin in gear on the water with backpressure this will yeild a screamin motor out the hole with no lag providing everything else is healthy and your not tryin to swing too big a prop hey my girlfrien is from indy where u boat at?
    Last edited by marquis4606; 08-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marquis4606 View Post
    secondary fuel filter is often overlooked its in the round black cap just above the the efi pump has a single bolt thru the center just clean and reuse also very good advice on removing the det box along with the idle stablizer box and set timin at 25* (run 91-93 gas) for max and idle timin at 0* to + 8* for 750 rpms idlin in gear on the water with backpressure this will yeild a screamin motor out the hole with no lag providing everything else is healthy and your not tryin to swing too big a prop hey my girlfrien is from indy where u boat at?
    1. The EFI pump is in the VST Canister. Where would this round black cap be? Is it just above the VST Canister?
    2. Where is the detonation module? What does it look like? Can it simply be removed without doing anything else?

I boat all over the state, but mostly Geist and Morse. Just got back from 4 days at Patoka. That lake is real nice compared to the local puddles.

HD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast