Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mercury 200 XRi

Didn't get a lot of feedback last year, so I will ask again before taking to a dealer.

I have a '92 Mercury 200 XRi on the back of a 21' Ultra LX (family truckster). I bought the boat in March 2008 and have been dealing with this problem from the get go. It seems like it is now occuring more frequently though, so it needs to be addressed.

Idles fine. Drop the hammer and some of the time the boat will not roll over on plane....it will hit about 2,500 rpm and not go any higher. This is with the throttle on the floor. Back down to idle and everything is fine. Try to pop it again and it leaps out of the hole like there was never an issue.

Late last year, a second problem surfaced that I think relates to the first problem. Sometimes after it actually gets on plane, rpm's fall off and then pick back up, then fall off, then pick back up.....sort of like it is cutting in and out as I head down the lake. This is at the typical cruise speed between 3,000 - 3,200 rpm.

Here is what I know:
    #1 - intermittent problems suck.
    #2 - I don't have a trusted dealer near me, so I would rather have a diagnosis from S&F (trusted source) before I roll the dice with a mechanic I don't know.

My uneducated thought and what was mentioned last year is the Stator. Can the issue be determined with typical diagnostic equipment?

Any guesses or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by HavasuDreamin'; 03-01-2010 at 06:49 PM.