Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Etec 250 H.O. model years

Have there been any significant changes/improvements made with the 250 H.O. Etec from 2008 thru 2010? My brother is most likely about to repower his 20XRD Bullet which has an 04 225 H.O. ficht motor on it now, and I wanted to find out if it would be worth the better price to pick up a new leftover(or used) 08 or 09? Any computer, injector, block, or lower unit improvements through the 3 year models? Would a leftover 'new' motor still come with 5 years of warranty until April?

Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

250ho

Somewhere in the 09 model year they changed the water pump housing for better water flow. I think the ignition might have been tweaked in 09 as well.

Certain later 09s and early 10's have a bulletin which may apply to them for better holeshot performance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a Bullet get a 2008 or 2010 (later model), they made some changes on the systems,heads (I believe) and it effected the Hole Shot, and low end power....ANY 2009 have the serial # checked to see if it needs the Update....Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the 08 would not need the update but an 09 would? I had heard about some of the bass boat guys having trouble with holeshot and prop selection with these motors when they first came out and I was curious if BRP had done anything different with the newer ones. He has found some good deals out there on leftover 2008's and 2009's, that's why I am wondering if the changes were simply computer updates or if the new ones had different heads, porting, etc?

Thanks for your help guys

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

250ho

Later 09s and very early 2010s can require this update which requires replacing cylinder heads and a software update. They also added a knock sensor which adds codes for each cylinder which can be read on the Diagnostic software.

I'd probably try to find one which is before the update serial number range or after but that will be a 2010.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Twinrig is 110% Right, however my buds 2008 Cougar FTD 20ft 4inch, 1700lbs or so, 2008 250 HO, had a OK hole shot, he then used a 25 Fury and it helped alot, its still not Perfect, but it will Rocket to 83-84mph on the Lowrance right to the Limiter.....this fall it Popped, BRP sent him a 2010 Series 3, with all of the New Heads, Updated Mapping, Updated sensors, NO hole shot change, but he picked up Power from 5000-6000 rpms, he was shocked, it hauls out of the hole,dont get me wrong, on a Bullet it will Rocket out of the hole, Id use his current props to try, then send his favorite to DAH in Burlington,WI, they will make it a work of art, and perfect for the 1.71:1 gear ratio, he also will want to send the Foot to Titus or Bobs for a Real Low water pickup, once thats done, he will be able to raise it to the moon and show the Merc Mafia Division of Bullet Bass Boats whats UP!!!!!! Theirs some guys here that really Race the production 250 HOs, so if he needs any help with lower unit stuff let us know.....Does he know he can get a Truly Sick looking HO in White??? I still think a Bad ass white Boat with a white,red and grey 250 HO would be killer, but blues cool to. Let us know what he does, if he finds a deal on a 2009, just make sure the updates and heads are done before delivery, that way less screwin around.....Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for power the 08 and 2010 have the most. The water tube changed late 08, the 09 had some low end issues that had a head change to correct (exhaust issue). The 08 had a mapping update which the dealer should do prior to releasing engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the 2008, and Currently built 2010 series 3 or 4 (**** I get confused some times) are real animals.....these motors on the same hull will stay with the Very Stout 2003/2004 Merc Racing 250 XS, the good one that only runs on Premium and has more RPMs, I know this cause a good buddy has both......But on a Bullet, the Torque, and 274++++++++HP that it produces will make a Very Very Nice FIshin Mota!!!! Hang on.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all of your advice, I guess I'll keep my eyes open for good deals on 08's and 10's. He has an extra omc lower with a titus cone with pinned carrier and drilled exhaust that he runs on the 225 H.O. from time to time when he jacks the motor up, it just seems like the Bullet likes the Lightning case better(I guess the longer nose provides more bow lift). Too bad they don't come with LWP.

If anybody knows of a clean used 250 H.O. or a good deal on a new one just shoot me a pm

Thanks again,
    Trey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Trey

Are you putting 1 on your Allsion ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No John, my brother is going to repower his 20' Bullet and I was just trying to get some info from the experts on the 250 H.O.s before he bought one. His boat will run a little over 80 with the 2004 225 H.O. and the stock lightning lower, so I would imagine that a new etec 250 H.O. would pick that up a little.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southerncomfort, Your Bros 225HO DI is a Monster, approximately 250HP (247) at the prop, as you know. The 250 HO is far stronger on the top end and low end, the HP and Torque curve is Killer, I have copies of it, but not digitally. Also, the new Lightning lower unit is much stronger both in case and gears. I spoke to a Highly Regarded BRP employee of the gear ratios, he was working on options possibly. I think id have your bro try the stock case, like you said its faster, and cant a guy have the stock intakes modded lower, leaving the trailing edge stock, or is that crazy talk? What are the colors on the Bullet? Did you mention to him my White idea? Hes gotta see one in person, its really a nice option. Also, if he searches hard enough Ranger boats had a limited # of 2009s in Charcoal Grey Metallic with Puffy Decals vs. Stickers, they are in a fire red with silver, its a Insane looking motor, a Better charcoal than the old Johnsons. Instant Message ETEC1, he knows a thing or 2 on the 250 HOs when it comes to performance. He races them on 2 different Mirage Ski racers.....Good Luck Dude, oh, have your bro run the XD100 oil, and GOOD FUEL......Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when did they go from 3.3 to the 3.4, ? was it in this time frame??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rude Power, in 2008 Evinrude released the 250 High Output and 300 E-TEC, both share the same 3.4liter V6 power head. They just put the high performance Lightning 2 lower unit on the HOs and the Magnum 2 with Bullet nostril water intakes on the 300, for 2009 they released the 20inch 300, however ive been told theirs not really a performance difference between the 300 and 250 HO. This motor is even more stout than the Torque monster 3.3liter HOs in the 200 ho and 225 ho. Its the same size and weight just really puts out the power, and its rockin and rollin up till the limiter, with no limiters these motors really Go....Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reading all this info and it sound great. I have a question though. I have a 2007 225h.o. that was a left over that i bought last year and i was wondering if there are any performance how ups that can be done on this motor. I am currently running a 26 trophy plus on a 21 velocity at 6150 rpm and 76mph. At what point does the rev limiter kick in and how high can I turn this without problems? Just curious if this motor is one of the ones with a bad hole shot... I'm not complaining just woundering if there is more in it. P.S I LOVE THIS MOTOR!!!!!! Thanks Rick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast