Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noob: Motor Tune VS Prop question 2.0 merc

I hope this is in the right forum,

I feel kinda dumb asking this , but i'm a few beers in:

I swapped props from a stock merc 23p to a laser II 21p . the new prop has the tuning vent system , the old prop did not , so I basically tuned the motor originally (low speed advance) to run the best holeshot with the old prop . Now I can adjust the prop to the motor.

the top end is great and i can spin this one to 5800 , I could only spin the 23 to 5200. But the hole shot is much slower (cavitation) with the 21p/ no plugs in , much worse holeshot than the 23p.

should I tune the prop with the plugs to the motor as is , or tune the advance to the best the new prop will handle when I get the plugs sorted out? or both?

I am assuming what i eventually am trying to achieve is the motor reving as quickly as possible with as little slip (cavitation) of the prop as possible for the fastest hole shot . Is this correct ? or am i lost?
    87 Stratos 181 Pro
    150 Merc XR2
    21P laser 2
    52-53 gps @ 5800

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure where your hull weighs in, but the Laser series props are not made for the "above average" weight hulls, imho.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure on the weight , but she's not a pig like a ranger,lol. the 21 or the 23 laser are the recomended prop from merc. They only go back to the XRI or 6 though for 150's. at least thats the best I could find for the combo.
    87 Stratos 181 Pro
    150 Merc XR2
    21P laser 2
    52-53 gps @ 5800

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That motor should have no problem with the 23 prop. I had an 84 mariner in factory spec that would spin a 24" with no problem to 5500-5800 RPM on an 18 1/2' skeeter.

It might be time for a compression test .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for all of the help and comments. Spent some time getting the prop sorted out today and definatly very happy with the results. I was able to get the hole shot tuned in to about 2-3 sec on plane. very different than before as well, the nose comes up a bit and the boat just goes, nice and smooth, the motor sounds a lot less stressed and gets into the rpm band quickly. the best i was able to get today (20-30 mph wind 1-1 1/2' waves) was 52 on GPS. i think this is about the best I can get with my current setup and the boat handles well also you guys rock !
    87 Stratos 181 Pro
    150 Merc XR2
    21P laser 2
    52-53 gps @ 5800