User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

am waiting to hearing your comments

Quote Originally Posted by conmax View Post
    Since CF is so brittle, the applications I have seen for boats use a CF/Kevlar rolls with the fibers alternated, giving the flexibility of Kevlar to the stiff, brittle CF. The new resin, made by Scott Bader in the UK, is urethane based and was designed to used with CF. They have built many CF based auto racing bodies with this resin and claim 40% mass reduction. They even built some large military boat and achieved similar savings while adding strength. Purported to be better than epoxy w/o the handling toxicity and print through. I will know more once my 28' cat is built using this resin, CF/Kevlar, foam and Airex penske.
    Urethane is a pretty awesome product specially in adhesives !! AS a resin sure as hell will be different !!
    Have a wonderful xmas and a better new year !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 12-25-2016 at 03:31 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tunnels, I have been reading this thread and am a bit overwhelmed with the many paths boat builders are using to make their products. You stated that CF is too brittle for boat hull construction. I was having a conversation with an almost world champion F1H2O boat driver (soon to be, I hope!)who was telling me that his and the other F1 boats were almost all CF, with the exception of the capsule. I questioned him, based upon what I know about CF being brittle and he said, no, they are definitely CF. Your thoughts on this? I know that my Skater has Kevlar layup where the hull is capped and at the bulkhead to hull juncture. That makes scene to me! Skater also offers a "CF layup" option, but I do not know where it is used. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    AAH but are you getting 50x the satisfaction by using these supposed magic materials ??
    The materials you speak Of along with a few others of equal interest splashed into the boating manufacturing industry in the 1980s/90s and were widely used for a while till it was realized guys weren't really getting what they were looking for in the way of lighter boats with better more robust trouble free boating !and the cost finally sunk in to achieve what ??
    One very big problem with making boats lighter and stronger is it has to be in conjunction with a new design of hull !!When using a older designed boat hull shape suddenly there is a whole new bunch of problems boats don't ride well and handle even worse because they had weight before sure they go faster but can be rougher riding and because they are stronger guys drive them harder so add all things together is it really worth the excise ?? could fit water ballast tanks !!.
    Don't get me wrong I am all for change and making things better but it should be a whole new package deal not a half hearted effort !

Not looking to dispute your post as you seem to know way more about this stuff than me or the average guy. However just the other day I was watching the Lucas Oil Drag Boat series on TV and they did a shot inside of Brian Sanders Top Fuel Hydro capsule and what did I see but a carbon/kevlar weave on the walls. These guys have a huge budjet and can afford the best of everything so maybe this stuff wasn`t just for the 80`s & 90`s. Looks like they are still using it.

DB

4. Likes David - WI liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Used on my current build along with foam penske board and new urethane resin, first in the US.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post
    Not looking to dispute your post as you seem to know way more about this stuff than me or the average guy. However just the other day I was watching the Lucas Oil Drag Boat series on TV and they did a shot inside of Brian Sanders Top Fuel Hydro capsule and what did I see but a carbon/kevlar weave on the walls. These guys have a huge budjet and can afford the best of everything so maybe this stuff wasn`t just for the 80`s & 90`s. Looks like they are still using it.

DB
    yip its still used but a lot of research and development has gone on since those early days !, different weaves different percentages of each material even the materials themselves have changed and there are different grades that we never had long ago ! Kevlar and carbon are used together so if one fails the other is there as support ! Hard and brittle Carbon and soft and tough Kevlar so during a crash its a double safe guard .
    I have noticed very recently that there are new more flexible grades of carbon that could find there way into the industry ! I haven't seen any test results but maybe Kevlar could get replaced !. Lots happening in the research and development field for aircraft and automotive applications and needs so eventually could find it way into the marine industry as well !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 01-10-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carbon/kevlar

Tunnels you are right about technology. It never stops. New stuff coming out year after year.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Keeping up is vertually imposible !

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post
    Tunnels you are right about technology. It never stops. New stuff coming out year after year.

DB
    Its more like week by week !
    The drive is mostly from aviation and the auto industries is the driving force behind most of it !! the marine industry doesn't ever rate a mention in any this, typical !!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6