Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My heads are back from Bob Kottman. Very nice fella to deal with. Very easy transaction....mailed him the cheque and the heads, work done in a few days and heads back in the mail to me!

Next up, acquiring some jets!

Thanks S&F!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails headsss.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of compression he say?He does very nice work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmt73 View Post
    What type of compression he say?He does very nice work.
    I am thinking in the 125 range...they were 110 to 115 or so before I took them off.
    I have to call Bob in the morning....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessin closer to135

West Plains, Mo./ Green Cove Springs, Fl.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he did the motor on my drag boat, and my Skater motors! Verry Nice work!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessin closer to135
    In speaking with Bob today, he figures around 130.
    Remember, I gotta run 91 octane....can't get 93 around here!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of doing the same mods you did last winter to my 2001 150 carbed vmax. How fast was your boat before and after the mods? I'm also considering doing the heads later and was interested in how much the cost of machining the was. What gear ratio is your bottom end and how many RPMs are you turning? Thanks and good luck with the project.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dragordie1 View Post
    I'm in the process of doing the same mods you did last winter to my 2001 150 carbed vmax. How fast was your boat before and after the mods? I'm also considering doing the heads later and was interested in how much the cost of machining the was. What gear ratio is your bottom end and how many RPMs are you turning? Thanks and good luck with the project.
    My 150 is a 2.0 gear box....yours should be too.

Two summers ago it would go 61-62mph GPS FULLY loaded....19' SKEETER.
    Empty 67 on GPS.
    Last summer after tuner and divider plate and 2 more degrees of timing, it would go 65 with ease anytime. Never got to do any running empty, summer sucked....however, I did have it revving 6400rpm and was too busy driving to look at the gps......then broke the tit off the throttle cam, because my hot foot was over extending....

This was all with a 25A Tempest with DAH work done. I hope to run a 27M full time this summer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessin closer to135
    Aaron, good guess!! 135 it is!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    87gtNOS, could you post contact info for Bob Kottman? Looking to work some 150Vmax heads. 220 heads have gotten expensive!! Thanks,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by todaro View Post
    87gtNOS, could you post contact info for Bob Kottman? Looking to work some 150Vmax heads. 220 heads have gotten expensive!! Thanks,
    pm sent

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, due to abnormally warm temps in the 70's, I have been able to get my boat out on the river here....

WORKS GREAT!! Not sure on jetting, plugs aren't colored yet. Center strap on plugs are tan-greyish....they're new. Rest of the plug is still clean.

I may drop down a hair in jet size.

Pulling 5700 to 5800 rpm with worked 27M Yamaha and 65mph GPS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much of a difference did you notice with the exhaust tuner??

I plan on doing the same thing to my 150, get it up to around 200 hp eventually and was wondering on where to start first.

Since I won't be doing it all at the same time I was wondering if the exhaust sie or intake side wakes up these stock motors the most off the bat. I know with cars that's normally the way people start, no one throws heads/cam/intake on a mustang without putting exhaust on it first.

But if milling the heads will be the best thing to do fist on these i'll go that route.

Also if you don't want to post it, can you pm me what the head work cost , and what was done exactly??

My set-up is very similar to yours 19ft skeeter, 150 v-max,jack plate. I'm only pushing a 23p right now though. I think i'm going to do the lwp first and get the motor up, them start hitting the hp.

Thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    How much of a difference did you notice with the exhaust tuner??

I plan on doing the same thing to my 150, get it up to around 200 hp eventually and was wondering on where to start first.

Since I won't be doing it all at the same time I was wondering if the exhaust sie or intake side wakes up these stock motors the most off the bat. I know with cars that's normally the way people start, no one throws heads/cam/intake on a mustang without putting exhaust on it first.

But if milling the heads will be the best thing to do fist on these i'll go that route.

Also if you don't want to post it, can you pm me what the head work cost , and what was done exactly??

My set-up is very similar to yours 19ft skeeter, 150 v-max,jack plate. I'm only pushing a 23p right now though. I think i'm going to do the lwp first and get the motor up, them start hitting the hp.

Thanks.
    Last year I did the tuner and divider plate and advanced the timing from 23 (stock) to 25 deg. I upped the mains to 158/160's. This was a good mod for sure! Thanks to RAY. Oh, and I cut the limiter wire! It'll rev 6400 all day long on the right day!

Those mods would allow the boat to run 65 fully loaded...whereas stock would go 61-62-61....I never did get to go WOT empty...but do believe I got 68 out of it. That was all with a DAH worked 25A Tempest.

The work Kottman did was cut the heads and re-cut the squish angle. My compression went up from 110-115 to 130-135. Bob said to back the timing to 22 degs.
    I believe the squish angle is the key to cutting these heads, to get the fuel to the chamber for a good burn and no deto.

The biggest part of this whole thing is doing the tuner!!! You have to remove the powerhead. I would do this mod first and get it done!! Also, I insist you buy new motor mounts from Hydrotec. You will understand once you get the powerhead off!! All that work!!
    At the same time, do the divider plate. That's an easy one.

Then the heads...which again, are pretty easy to do.

If your motor has the carbs with the main jets in the bowls, like mine (1997)....I have a trick for changing the mains real easily!!
    Remove the drain plug and with a nicely modded slotted screwdriver, loosen the main jet. My nicely modded stubby screwdriver, is grinded to just fit into the hole!! and the end of it is perfectly sized to fit the main.
    Once loose, I stick a special tool in there...a round TOOTHPICK!! Stick it into the main jet, and unthread it!! Reverse steps for putting it back in!

..and yes, my mustang was supercharged and made 445 rwhp SAE!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The work Kottman did was cut the heads and re-cut the squish angle. My compression went up from 110-115 to 130-135. Bob said to back the timing to 22 degs.
    I believe the squish angle is the key to cutting these heads, to get the fuel to the chamber for a good burn and no deto.

Bob Kottmann also did my heads they have 150-155 lbs of compression.

The squish angle and squish to piston clearance are the key to getting the fuel to the chamber for a good efficient burn and no deto.

I run 22 degs advance also, but I have been told I could run a few degrees more with some good gas.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast