Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87gtNOS View Post
    Last year I did the tuner and divider plate and advanced the timing from 23 (stock) to 25 deg. I upped the mains to 158/160's. This was a good mod for sure! Thanks to RAY. Oh, and I cut the limiter wire! It'll rev 6400 all day long on the right day!

Those mods would allow the boat to run 65 fully loaded...whereas stock would go 61-62-61....I never did get to go WOT empty...but do believe I got 68 out of it. That was all with a DAH worked 25A Tempest.

The work Kottman did was cut the heads and re-cut the squish angle. My compression went up from 110-115 to 130-135. Bob said to back the timing to 22 degs.
    I believe the squish angle is the key to cutting these heads, to get the fuel to the chamber for a good burn and no deto.

The biggest part of this whole thing is doing the tuner!!! You have to remove the powerhead. I would do this mod first and get it done!! Also, I insist you buy new motor mounts from Hydrotec. You will understand once you get the powerhead off!! All that work!!
    At the same time, do the divider plate. That's an easy one.

Then the heads...which again, are pretty easy to do.

If your motor has the carbs with the main jets in the bowls, like mine (1997)....I have a trick for changing the mains real easily!!
    Remove the drain plug and with a nicely modded slotted screwdriver, loosen the main jet. My nicely modded stubby screwdriver, is grinded to just fit into the hole!! and the end of it is perfectly sized to fit the main.
    Once loose, I stick a special tool in there...a round TOOTHPICK!! Stick it into the main jet, and unthread it!! Reverse steps for putting it back in!

..and yes, my mustang was supercharged and made 445 rwhp SAE!

Cool, man that helps alot now i kinda know where to start. my motors a 98 or 99??? Boats a 99 but for some reason i was thinking it was rigged with e 98 motor. Will have to look again.

Nice on the stang motor,

The way my car is set up now i was building it to run the nmra pure street class, I got tires of chasing the rule changes and changing my set up so i gave up on that. But that's how the car sits, 310ci motor with everything done to the block allowed, brodix st50-r's that flow 310 @.500,etc etc etc, liberty proshifted t-5 , aje cromoly k memer, wild rides battle boxes. I could go on for ever about the mods on that car as I'm sure you could too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can use bobs solid mounts and a new factory 220 special tuner and save over half the price of the hydrotech parts................benji
    hold on and hope for the best

3. Likes 150aintenuff liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whatsamerc?? View Post
    you can use bobs solid mounts and a new factory 220 special tuner and save over half the price of the hydrotech parts................benji

Thanks, where can you get that tuner?? From a yamaha dealer?? I did some quick googling and couldn't find any info on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    Thanks, where can you get that tuner?? From a yamaha dealer?? I did some quick googling and couldn't find any info on it.
    boats.net look for a v6 special around 1985 model. its about $76.00 and i cant see $200.00 worth of difference between it and the hydrotech one i have........benji

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    boats.net look for a v6 special around 1985 model. its about $76.00 and i cant see $200.00 worth of difference between it and the hydrotech one i have........benji

Interesting, it doesn't seem to be available from there when I looked for it, the hydrotec one is 229.00 though, still quite a bit more but not 200.00 more

I also searched for the stock 200 one and couldn't find it either. A search for "tuner" and for "exhaust tuner" on their site came up blank as well.

I'll do some more searching when i get closer to ordering.

I ordered a new trailer saturday so that's gonna hold me off on motor up grades for a few weeks I think.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD class=med height=10 vAlign=top align=middle>6 <TD class=med height=10 vAlign=top width=100 align=left>6G5-41132-00-5B
    <TD class=med height=10 vAlign=top align=left>MANIFOLD, EXHAUST
    <TD class=med height=10 vAlign=top align=right>$93.37 <TD class=label height=10 vAlign=top align=right>$77.03</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    IM pretty sure that this is the tuner they are telling you about. Joe Raimondo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you saying the 6G5-41132-00-5B for a 1990 150/175/200ETD (part #25 below)

is a performance upgrade from my stock 1994 Manifold 6J9-41132-00-5B (part # 24 below) ? Isee they use almost the same gasket part # (6G5-41134-00-00 vs. 6G5-41134-A0-00) and exact same bolts, so they appear to be interchangeable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails upper-casing_mediumyau0119d-1_e9e4.jpg  
    Last edited by T-Topless; 06-15-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: wrong P20 manifold part #

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep. i dont know if it will do any good (you may loose some bottom end) by its self but it will definitely breathe better.................benji

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep. i dont know if it will do any good (you may loose some bottom end) by its self but it will definitely breathe better.................benji
    If bottom end is a concern than maybe the 96+ ProV150 tuner is an option. They look like a long version of the excel/225 tuner....
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a carbed 2002 vmax 150. Been reading up on this for 3 or 4 weeks now. I picked up a complete 220 special today except it has a 200 block, which I kinda expected after reading on here. I've pulled the heads and carbs off the 220 but was surprised to see vertical reeds. Is this the right intake? My vmax already has horizontal reeds, do I leave vmax intake and carb and just change the heads? What tuner and divider do I need to use? And which head gasket do I order? Sorry about the lengthy post. Also if in out of lone with any of this and would be better off sending my heads to be cut or get something different in wide open.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 220 special is a vertical reed motor. The excel was the next evolution and it came with vertical reeds (and a 5hp increase on the sticker).

If they are 220 heads I'd use them. The 220 carbs are good just hard to get parts for if they are the single float version. You'd want the exhaust divider and tuner out of the 220 if that's what is on the motor you bought.

Keep you horizontal front and bolt the rest on.
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

13. Thanks Sctreeguy thanked for this post
    Likes Sctreeguy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are the tuner and divider still available online somewhere? It is an actual 220 special motor but I snapped 4 or 5 head bolts just getting them off so imagine it may be the same thing getting to the tuner. Is there a way to identify lower units and there gear ratio? This 220 came with a nose cone lower unit so if it's the same ratio I may use it too.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine both are still available.

The ratio you'll have to figure out by spinning it.
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC Specials and Excells were 1.72:1 but better spin it to be 100%
    and 135 compression with 23 degrees timing lives JUST FINE on el cheepo octane around here I have a 135 PSI 200 Ox66 efi setup built with .080 shaved from the heads and the quench angle re cut in them by a local guy I wont mention because its my program and is a bit different than what you see from hydrotec and other places, but its a solid 250ish hp as built, seen it out run the same boat with 3.1L 250's on it and my customer has reeds, ported cages, full port work ( mild blueprint) shaved heads, had a excel/Special tuner but ended up going hydrotec tuner (more bottom with a jet unit) and its got over 500 hrs on a COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED engine, I have had to change 1 spark plug set since we built it in 2014. those 2.6's can be made flat beastly if you don't get to crazy in the ports but fix the minor flaws within the assembly, the production mismatches and the little things in them that restrict HP...

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man this is an old thread!!

i haven't had that hammer on the back of that skeeter in years. Anyway I can't even remember what all i ended up doing.

I got reeds and some other nic nacs from hydrotec, had heads cut and found a 220 tuner used

it would turn a 27t-1 64-6500 iirc.

18. Likes 150aintenuff liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4