User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast

Thread: R/C helicopters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you start with something like the UM P-51D Mustang, you can use the built-in Spektrum AR6400 receiver brick to build other plug-and-play planes later on after you finish destroying it.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pyro, thanks for the advice but no P-51 for me! Ive already made up my mind, just need to figure out a place to buy from. The BBB rates Nitroplanes as a big fat F in regards to their customer service.... Do a search on google for reviews on this place...not good....Any suggestions ? I checked Horizon but they are limited on choices. This seems to be the case with a lot of stores! To bad the one with the largest selection has such bad customer service. I would like to order them tomorrow if i can find a place that has what i want.....Thanks and again...No p-51, if i crash and burn, i crash and burn No biggy........
    Ron Paul 2012 Because its an election, not a Cult...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do whatever suits you. I just can't imagine learning to fly on something so fast and hard to track. It seems like it would be easy to get disoriented in a hurry with something so twitchy that moves so quickly.

If you start with something that can be flown in a football-field-sized area, it would give you a better opportunity to learn control and orientation before you start breaking things.

The heli is different, it doesn't just fly away into the distance, it lets you lern to control it while it's hovering in front of you. It's easy to take it one step at a time, the helis just have more of those steps. The plane forces you to learn nose-in control orientation the first time you turn it around and make a return pass. I'm almost scared to fly my Ultra Micro Mustang. I'm going to try flying for the first time on a small, twitchy plane with only an hour of sim practice. I went small because I heard you can drop these into soft grass without damage, but still get going fast when desired.
    Last edited by pyro; 04-11-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear you but as i stated before, ive had a medium slow one before and did fine with it and have also flown a very large Nitro P-51 Mustang several times with no issues. I think the only thing i may have trouble is landing the things but as you stated, they are so light weight the guys i see on the video's even remove the landing gear and belly land them in the grass and dont hurt them. I think i will try and find a place with smooth low cut grass but with tall grass near by just incase i cant get leveled out for a landing.
    I'll probably be flying my sons 64mm first as it isnt a 3d plane so it should be a little easier to fly then the 70mm.
    As for the Heli's, i bought a used Rotofly from a "friend" several years back and never could get it to even hover. There may have been something wrong with it, i dont know but what i do know is every stinking time that thing left the ground it went up and then hard right into the ground. It didnt matter what you did with those sticks it was the same thing over and over. This happened about 5 times at $20 a pop and i unloaded that thing as fast as i could.
    Crashing is part of the game but if i can get her off the ground and fly it at all i'll be happy and as cheap as they are a few crashes wont hurt so bad as long as i get "some" satisfaction out of it which wasn't the case with that Rotofly.....
    Ron Paul 2012 Because its an election, not a Cult...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I maidened the micro P-51 today. My first R/C plane flight, with only an hour of sim practice. Lots of fun. I was doing loops and rolls after about 1/2 hour of flying. Sweeeet...
    Last edited by pyro; 04-12-2010 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Isn't FMS that simulator that's included with some Esky helicopters? I don't really know anything about it, but I do hear it's very minimal.

I don't really know what a Rotofly is, but if helicopters interest you, don't let that one bad experience ruin it for you. There are so many good helicopters out now and this is a great time to get into it.

The reason why selection is minimal on the EDF jets is that places like Horizon do not carry the Chinese off-brands because of limited or no warranty support from the manufacturer. They tend to be of inconsistent quality, though the very inexpensive pricetag can make them a good choice to start with so if you crash you're not into one for a lot of money. Just research the electronics - that's where most of the problems come from. EDF jets from Parkzone and Kyosho are expensive because they come with great electronics.

Also, those companies don't usually make many scale jets for a reason - they have very high stall speeds. So they usually design their own that fly better, though they just don't look as cool. The Parkzone Habu is an example.

Chad, that's really cool that you did well with the UM P-51. I love that plane - I have a Parkzone Trojan and Corsair waiting for me when I get more experience on the Cub and UM P-51. The larger the plane, the easier they are to fly though. I use my UM Cub every single morning and it's great. I just wish it had a bit more power.

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, this weather sucks. Im winded in (suppose to head accross the stream), I just got my dx5e and cant wait to fly the planes with it. Not that the mcx needs it, but its amazing how much more precise I can control it with the dx5e.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2nd pic was suppose to capture the bad weather!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Pretty cool Bud - they're addicting, aren't they? I just received this Walkera HM22E (also known as the Exceed Eagle 50) from XHeli - it's one of of the most inexpensive collective-pitch helis there is at $129. Looks extremely well made, with an aluminum base frame and the rotor head core is aluminum as well. I just started going over it - checking fasteners, gear mesh, and pitch. I'm going to see how this thing flies later on.

By the way, an upgrade is coming to the Walkera CB180D/Q - it's the CB180Z, and it will have a shaft driven tail rotor off the main motor and brushless main motor. That sounds like the perfect fixed pitch heli to me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greg, Id like to see a pic of the room your storing all this stuff in! Also, are you gonna start a clearing house for your new hobby some day, i could use that super cub!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well my sr is down for a few weeks. After the 3rd installed tail motor it still wasnt hovering right, I checked the gyro like the manual says and the tail motor constantly surges even if the copter is being held still, and it seemed to run to fast all the time no matter what the settings were. I called horizon and they said it sounded like a 2in1 problem and are sending me out another one (on back order of course). So no flying for me. The MSR is still down and I don't know if its worth fixing. For the cost of everything so far I'm thinking a B400 may have been a better idea, at least I would have a good remote. We'll see how it goes when I get it back together.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUD View Post
    Greg, Id like to see a pic of the room your storing all this stuff in! Also, are you gonna start a clearing house for your new hobby some day, i could use that super cub!
    I actually don't have all that many, but the ones that I use regularly I keep on my office floor. The Super Cub is one of my favorites so I'm not sure I could surrender that one yet. The helis and planes I'm not using at the moment are in their boxes in my closet. I'll tell you what, if I stop using any of them, you'll be first in line to get one. . Today I've been flying the CCPM Walkera HM22E and it's a lot of fun. Very powerful and handles great, but extremely twitchy. Much more so than the Blade SR. I can now see how much easier the SR is to fly compared to standard CP helis. The HM22E is as 'no-frills' as you can get for a CP heli, and it's cheap - $129 complete from XHeli. Can't complain about a RTF CP heli this good for that cheap.

Below is a pic of my office floor of the helis I'm currently using. That large Walkera #38 Chinook (Exceed variant) tandem is a monster. Four 370SH motors and four very large rotors create a massive prop wash and sound. It's hysterical. That thing weighs more than two pounds, so I fear a motor failure would be pretty catastrophic. I only fly it occasionally for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    Well my sr is down for a few weeks. After the 3rd installed tail motor it still wasnt hovering right, I checked the gyro like the manual says and the tail motor constantly surges even if the copter is being held still, and it seemed to run to fast all the time no matter what the settings were. I called horizon and they said it sounded like a 2in1 problem and are sending me out another one (on back order of course). So no flying for me. The MSR is still down and I don't know if its worth fixing. For the cost of everything so far I'm thinking a B400 may have been a better idea, at least I would have a good remote. We'll see how it goes when I get it back together.
    I'm sorry about your problems with the SR. It does sound like a 2-in-1 problem if the gyro can't adjust it out. I actually turned my gyro gain down on my SR right out of the box, and it's been great. Over 50 flights on it now, and no problem. That tail motor gets hot though.

Hang in there though, Horizon is very good with customer service and once it gets going you'll love it. I haven't even flown my B400 yet because I think I'm not good enough yet to put that bird in the air with a reasonable chance of success. It's very expensive to repair as well, so I think the SR is a better way to go for now - for both me and you. I've been flying the Walkera HM22E now, which I think will prepare me to fly the B400. Like the Falcon 40, it's very cheap to operate and repair and parts are very easy to obtain. What's wrong with you mSR?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice collection! I still love my um j3 but the um p51 is incredible, i flew 6 batteries through it today in 15 mpg wind guest with little to no problems.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The msr has a few issues. Other than a servo that was acting up during flight that just caused it to wobble a bit (it kind of occilated up,down a bit at about mid stick) the plug that went to the tail motor broke off the board and the antenna wire is broke. i just havent taken it to the HS to see if it can be fixed. I'll probably do that soon. New ones are 60$. Horizon has been pretty cool, I just think it sucks that I've been through so many parts fixing it already and its only been in the air 10 min at the most. I just couldnt figure out why it was so hard to hover smoothly. It always seemed to go off on its own which usually ended up in a hard landing, (thank goodness for training gear. There are other people having the same issues so I don't feel that bad. I just hope after its all put back together it'll fly good. I would get new tail motors to have them on hand. The first one I had was fried after the first test flight, and I know there are lots of people with that problem. I took the motor apart to be sure and it was bad, the brushes don't always wear evenly or make good contact with the communicator. Some guys are going to brushless motors and having good results. All I can do is wait...................

I've heard that the B400 is actually easier to fly than the sr due to it being bigger, now granted its not detuned but you should be able to adjust that. It reacts quicker, but so does the sr if you remove the weights and put cp blades on it.
    Last edited by Gorilla0178; 04-15-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How are people going with brushless motors on the SR? That would require an entirely different ESC. Also, the SR is no detuned - it's the controller itself that gives the mild rates.

Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast