User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread: R/C helicopters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wish I would have known about the falcon 40 before i got the msr. It looks like its more like the bigger helicopters. I would have got it instead, it's cheaper too. It seems that xheli has alot of copters that are cheaper and bigger than eflight.
    Last edited by Gorilla0178; 03-14-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    I wish I would have known about the falcon 40 before i got the msr. It looks like its more like the bigger helicopters. I would have got it instead, it's cheaper too. It seems that xheli has alot of copters that are cheaper and bigger than eflight.
    The Falcon 40 is harder to fly, so that would depend on your experience.

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are completely different birds. If you let go of the cyclic stick, the mSR comes to a stop and hovers, maybe swirling slightly in the air. The Falcon 40, or ANY typical 200-or-bigger-sized single-rotor heli, will drift away and crash if you let go of the stick.

When you add cyclic input and a little throttle, the mSR responds quickly and zips forward. With a larger fixed-pitch heli, there will be a "lag" or control delay due to the lower headspeed and heavier weight.

If you want something bigger than the mSR, EVERYONE with some real experience seems to suggest jumping up to a 450-sized heli. They all say they're WAY moe stable and responsive than fixed-pitch helis or small collective-pitch helis such as a Blade SR or a 250-sized bird.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well now you tell me. As you know I already trashed my new SR. I guess when I get good at the SR it'll be time for a bigger one, for now I got to get it back together and get some flight time in. Your right the mSR is pretty easy to fly. Mine has a servo that is not acting right, it still flys ok but the servo isnt smooth, it kind of freaks out a bit. It makes it wobble a little during flights. If I cant get all the parts for the SR I'll have to get it back out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla0178 View Post
    Well now you tell me. As you know I already trashed my new SR. I guess when I get good at the SR it'll be time for a bigger one, for now I got to get it back together and get some flight time in. Your right the mSR is pretty easy to fly. Mine has a servo that is not acting right, it still flys ok but the servo isnt smooth, it kind of freaks out a bit. It makes it wobble a little during flights. If I cant get all the parts for the SR I'll have to get it back out.
    I think a simulator is very important. I put some time into a sim before I flew the Falcon, and it helped me. The SR I got is harder to fly than the Falcon at first since it's far more powerful, however it's more stable. I also find the Falcon to be fairly stable for such an inexpensive heli. I train on my Falcon everyday and it's helped me tremendously.

I love my mSR and I run about 10 batteries through it everyday but that helicopter flies itself if you let it, which makes it a poor heli for learning to hover on, in my opinion. Otherwise it's a blast to fly. I can't do any fancy flying - I just run it around the house. The SR is like the mSR, except it does not have any of the 'rubbery' zero-stick strangness the mSR does due to its stabilizing rotor head.

The new Walkera CB180D/Exceed Madhawk 300 is supposed to be a very hot new FP heli. They cost only $30 more than the Falcon 40 and they're supposed to be very stable. I have one coming soon so I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The deal was just finalized with XHeli.com - our first giveaway with them is going to be some Syma helicopters. This is the model they're shipping to us for the first giveaway:

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coo.l. That's the updated version of the little Syma SO10 that started my addiction.

I'm pretty sure this heli has a gyro chip, so it will hold a heading pretty good without drifting and spinning once it's trimmed. This is like an Air Hog with forward and reverse. It's a 3-channel heli.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro View Post
    Coo.l. That's the updated version of the little Syma SO10 that started my addiction.

I'm pretty sure this heli has a gyro chip, so it will hold a heading pretty good without drifting and spinning once it's trimmed. This is like an Air Hog with forward and reverse. It's a 3-channel heli.
    Yeah, these looked good to start with. We may give away 4-channel helis after this, but we'll see. I want to see how popular this giveaway is first. XHeli is sending some over so I'll begin the contest as soon as they arrive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Check it out - the new Madhawk 300 arrived and I'm extremely impressed with this one. It's a hair smaller than the Falcon 40, but the build quality and components are far, far better. The rotor head is very smooth, and the flybar is hinged with ball bearings. The ball links are also very smooth and very well made. I haven't flown this one yet, but I will as soon as the battery charges. It includes the same radio as the Falcon 40, which works with this one too without any binding process since their radios automatically bind when you power them on. This is supposed to be a self-stabilizing heli, so it should be interesting to fly. It has an unusual shaft-driven tail rotor that's driven by a small electric motor that's the same size as the direct drive motor on the Falcon 40. Not sure why they added complexity by using this shaft drive system, but I suppose it makes motor changes easier.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well i got it back together except for the main gear, I have that on order unless the other shop has one. The servo wasnt bad, the little motor got moved and wasnt meshing with the gears. It only needed the boom, and blades.I got extra blades, and main shafts but it didnt need it. Also got a servo gear kit, that it didnt need it but it'll be good to have. Everything seems to work ok, we'll see when I get the gear.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My MCX servos are stickin, anyone have that issue yet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BUD View Post
    My MCX servos are stickin, anyone have that issue yet?
    I haven't had that happen, but I've heard it happening to other people. Have a close look at the servo gears to make sure none are broken. If they're alright, take a look inside the slider and check if there's anything binding the worm drive.

I crashed my mSR last night hard and the endbell came off the tail motor, so I had to replace it today. Five minutes later, and it's as good as new.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a common known issue. Put superglue around the endcap on the new one.

Horizon is replacing my mSR 5-in-1 Rx board AND my spare board too. Both died recently. They are also sending me another tail motor. It never hurts to ask. My parts arrive tomorrow or Thursday.

I flew the F40 a bit, broke a blade, fixed a blade, broke a tail rotor, fixed it, broke a flybar, replaced it, broke the landing gear, f*** it. I'm done for today.

Video of my house from the air...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jALCqrOhP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8jALCqrOhP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Flopped my msr to the ground and broke the last useable canopy pin off, while I was taking it apart to get the frame off, the plug for motor broke off the circut board. I guess it's toast unless I leel like buying a new 5in1 board. If i'm going to spend 60$ to get a new boatd, I'll probably just get something else. Not sure if its worth fixing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a new frame, and solder the motor wires back on.

Things could be worse: I just got my Falcon 40 stuck HIGH in a tall tree across the road. The keychain camera is still attached to it. Hopefully the wind brings it down. I lost a good Lipo at the least. Tomorrow night I'll try to shoot it down with the potato gun.

Last edited by pyro; 03-16-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast