Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene- I'm right in the midst of reading "The Legend of Mercury" by Jeffrey L. Rodengen. Charlie Strang was the master-mind behind the Mark75H and Jack Leek was the mechanic who helped bring the Outboard Speed Record back to the USA for Mercury in 1958. Those two jump ship and become the brains behind the OMC Stranglers and Stingers that win the Havasu Outboard World Championship in 1969. What a TSN turning Point!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the video - 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championship - Day 1, you can see a couple of boats that were at OFF2009 & might well be there on Oct. 7-10th at OFF010 in Jupiter, Florida. The exact boat that won this historic race, # 33 the late Cesare Scotti's dual Evinrude Molinari & # 119 Kenny Kitsons dual Mercury Switzer Wing, are examples of boats that could be in attendance. Don't miss this chance of a life time to see many historic boats from past to present, but best of all, you get to meet the owners & drivers of these famous crafts. Though, they might be a bit a hard a hearin' (probably from the stacker years!), they can tell a tall tale about how things were in the "Golden Era" of Factory Outboard Tunnel Hull Racing, because, the older they get, the faster they went!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=mark benson;2009808]Gene- I'm right in the midst of reading "The Legend of Mercury" by Jeffrey L. Rodengen.QUOTE]

Mark: How did I miss your post?? I am sure you have read Iron Fist, also by Rodengen---

Gene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene- That's the next book I'm going to read. Mark75H told me about it. Did you race at the 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championships?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what its worth,,,,, Will have a copy of the Iron Fist as part of my silent auction stuff @ Off 2010........... While this is not a fund raiser at all we need to put a little money in the coffers to cover permit expense, clean-up @ Abacoa,,,,,,event insurance,, we are victims of our own success as last year I didn't have any fees. This year a little,,,,,, Scotty B. and Geico are helping along with JJ Muggs restaurant. IWith last years small auction am certain we will make our budget to repay those guys, but every little bit helps............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark benson View Post
    Gene-. Did you race at the 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championships?
    HI Mark: I will strain ny picture posting skills and try to send some pics (what happened tp 'tinypic??) Dick Williams and I towed to Havasu, had our own fueling rig, fueled Jeff Titus, had a bunch of great people from South Florida helpiing, including Jock Horner, the Felsches, Neal Chambers and others I can't remember. We didn't bring back any of that prize money--

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genedickw.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	214603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0025.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	214604
    Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 08-19-2010 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene - I am collecting all these photos that you post, cleaning them up a little bit. You will see them again in October.
    Best Regards - Steve Sirois

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=seeroy;2025311]Gene - I am collecting all these photos that you post, cleaning them up a little bit. You will see them again in October.
    Best Regards - Steve Sirois

Thanks Steve----A few more you and Mark--- Havasu 1969 (I think Willabee has seen these)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0032.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	214605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	start.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	214607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0008.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	214606
    Last edited by GENE LANHAM; 08-19-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene- I see in reply # 36, picture one is # 23 Gene Lanham & co-driver Dick Williams. My program (supplied by Joe Fielder) says 19 foot wing with two Mercury 155 stackers. Was the wing an 18 foot or 20 foot? Mr. T-2X has really been on my case lately, about these kinds of details! The other boat on the upper trailer looks like # 24 Dick Williams & co-driver Gene Lanham 18 foot Molinari with one Mercury 155 stacker. In picture two, I see a Glastron/Molinari with a Mercury stacker, but no number. Do you know who that was? On reply # 38 I see # 7 Jeff Titus & co-driver John Horner in a 22 foot McCall with two Mercury 140's. Didn't Jeff Titus used to run one of those Skat-Cats?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark benson View Post
    Gene- I see in reply # 36, picture one is # 23 Gene Lanham & co-driver Dick Williams. My program (supplied by Joe Fielder) says 19 foot wing with two Mercury 155 stackers. Was the wing an 18 foot or 20 foot? Mr. T-2X has really been on my case lately, about these kinds of details! The other boat on the upper trailer looks like # 24 Dick Williams & co-driver Gene Lanham 18 foot Molinari with one Mercury 155 stacker. In picture two, I see a Glastron/Molinari with a Mercury stacker, but no number. Do you know who that was? On reply # 38 I see # 7 Jeff Titus & co-driver John Horner in a 22 foot McCall with two Mercury 140's. Didn't Jeff Titus used to run one of those Skat-Cats?
    Mark---Last question first---Jeff did run 'Scat-Cats' and ronster 43 has posted pictures of those boats on here:
    I should know who was in the Glastrron/Molinari, but 41 years later-no recall---I cannot find a picture showing the number?? B & D Marine?? I think he was also South Florida and was pitting/fueling with us, Fielder should know!::
    The #24 Molinari, driven by Dick Williams was 16' 17' 18'?? Willabee knows----?Power--1350 Stacker/no water --BP lower unit
    The UU23 was a 19' Switzer---The power, a pair of 125/1250 Stackers--stock driveshaft housings--super speedmasters. Horsepower?? I don't think any one knew----It was 1970 before I ran the 'Direct Charged' 1350 Stackers--no water---BP driveshaft housing--super speedmaster. Hope this helps--Gene

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last October, at " Old Farts Forever - 2009", # 33 Cesare Scotti's Molinari, with dual Evinrude X-115's, that won Havasu in '69 & Kenny Kitson's wing, with Mercury BP's, that won in '68 & are in this video, were just a couple of the many boats "on display", at last years Reunion. This 1st weekend in October, in Jupiter, Florida, for OFF2010 - will be "bigger & better!" Rich's dual 300 hp outboard wing, Terry's F-1 Outboard, Hydroplanes. It should be a very interesting weekend, you do not want to miss!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    # 119 Kenny Kitson, won the 1968 Lake Havasu World Outboard Championship, piloting "Miss Diablo" powered by a couple of Mercury "stackers!" In this video of the 1969 Havasu WOC, there is a lot of good footage of # 119 Kenny Kitson "driving that black Switzer Wing, like a madman", trying to win his 2nd World Outboard Championship in a row! Definately, in my opinion, one of the "best wing drivers, ever!"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    post #36 - who is driver in yellow glastron/molinari- there is no # visible?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was 7 (count them) yellow Glastron/Molinari's with single Mercury "stacker" power, at the Havasu World Outboard Championships that year, so it's hard to say. Not having a very "visable racing number" for the "scorekeepers" & a lot of boats that look the same, (weapon of choice in the day), sounds like a "recipe for a mix-up!"
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
    post #36 - who is driver in yellow glastron/molinari- there is no # visible?

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The number is closer to the cockpit than other boats and is hidden by the stacks and powerhead of the boat closer to the camera

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast