Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark benson View Post
    Gene- I see in reply # 36, picture one is # 23 Gene Lanham & co-driver Dick Williams. My program (supplied by Joe Fielder) says 19 foot wing with two Mercury 155 stackers. Was the wing an 18 foot or 20 foot? Mr. T-2X has really been on my case lately, about these kinds of details! The other boat on the upper trailer looks like # 24 Dick Williams & co-driver Gene Lanham 18 foot Molinari with one Mercury 155 stacker. In picture two, I see a Glastron/Molinari with a Mercury stacker, but no number. Do you know who that was? On reply # 38 I see # 7 Jeff Titus & co-driver John Horner in a 22 foot McCall with two Mercury 140's. Didn't Jeff Titus used to run one of those Skat-Cats?
    Okay...the Glas/Moli was Wally Qualman out of Ft Lauderdale. After this race, Wally sold it to Jock Horner (also in Ft Lauderdale) who ran it for 1 year. Jock then sold it to Ray Parker (Ft Lauderdale) who ran it in SJ. Don't know where it went for the next 40 years or so. Ted Boyd has it now and is restoring it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OFF2011, begins on October 20th 2011, in Jupiter, Florida! I've heard rumors that # 33 Cesare Scotti's 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championship winning Molinari, with dual Evinrudes, may be in attendance & possibly even get wet at Cadillack's, on Saturday. I also heard a rumor that # 22 Jackie & Mark Wilson's Cosworth powered KT boat, might also put on a show! I'm pretty sure that Rich Luhr's # 351 "Dust in the Wind" dual 300HP Switzer Wing will also be there, as in past Reunions! This is but a glimse of a few the Vintage Powerboats, from many different classes, that you will be able to see & chat with the drivers/owners, in a very casual setting!
    In the video - 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championship - Day 1, you can see a couple of boats that were at OFF2009 & might well be there on Oct. 7-10th at OFF010 in Jupiter, Florida. The exact boat that won this historic race, # 33 the late Cesare Scotti's dual Evinrude Molinari & # 119 Kenny Kitsons dual Mercury Switzer Wing, are examples of boats that could be in attendance. Don't miss this chance of a life time to see many historic boats from past to present, but best of all, you get to meet the owners & drivers of these famous crafts. Though, they might be a bit a hard a hearin' (probably from the stacker years!), they can tell a tall tale about how things were in the "Golden Era" of Factory Outboard Tunnel Hull Racing, because, the older they get, the faster they went!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havasu 1968 Film

Finally got my hands on about 200 feet of the '68 Havasu race. I should have a copy on disc next week. I'll bring to the OFF Meeting. Trying to get some slides converted too from '68.
    On to Jupiter in October.
    Backfire, Tracy Coleman

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sweet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gene- Did you race at the 1969 Havasu Outboard World Championships?
    Mark---I responded a while back that we did not bring back any of that prize money. I found this in 'Yachting' by Mel Crook. $700.00 bought a lot of gas in 1969!! We did call the wings 19' and 20' back then, and so did 'Yachting'. ( I do have the complete article if you need it----)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gene- how did #16 wally do?

does your book/article show how others did?- in particular - #16- Wally Qualman-glas/moli- 18 ft- does it show how he finished????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
    does your book/article show how others did?- in particular - #16- Wally Qualman-glas/moli- 18 ft- does it show how he finished????
    Thanks to Ron Titus (Ronster 43) we were able to identify this pic as Wally, in the yellow glass Moli, between Jeff Titus and Dick Williams. I think all three suffered lower unit failures, on Day 2, and were not listed as finishers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    many thanks- yes that is Wally Qualmann- #16-beside Jeff waiting for the start of the race and you were 2 boats over from wally on the other side- wally travelled with Jock Hornor to race together- after the race he sold the boat to Jock who raced it until fall of 1970 when he went in army- I have confirmed with Jock and he sent me additional photos of Wally at Havasu that year-but jock could not remember were Wally placed overall at the end of the 2 days- thanks
    Last edited by shadowcat; 08-31-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dick Williams # 24, next to Wally. There were quite a few of us who traveled from South Florida. Dick and I brought my fueling rig and we fueled Jeff and Wally also---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and you were beside williams with your switzer wing right- dicks motor blocks out wallys racing # -but-it was #16-forgot to ask jock if he ever did race jeffs boat that weekend as it lists in program

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fueling Rig

I don't think Jock drove--even though he was entered as a co-driver. I do remember him on the fueling rig. We had lots of other great people from S. Florida helping--The Felsches. Neil Chambers, Ray Parker, and some people whose names I have forgotten in the last 42 years.
    I did find a pic showing how we traveled--and parts of the fueling rig---(I think I was checking the tie-downs on the 'Bird')

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    I don't think Jock drove--even though he was entered as a co-driver. I do remember him on the fueling rig. We had lots of other great people from S. Florida helping--The Felsches. Neil Chambers, Ray Parker, and some people whose names I have forgotten in the last 42 years.
    I did find a pic showing how we traveled--
    Dick Williams and I had some memorable cross country trips. Returning from Parker '69, we made a 1000 mile detour to Nebraska, to pick up a 'funny car' body for Jerry Guinn. We did get lots of 'stares'----

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great photo- is the boat hooked on behind the truck????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
    great photo- is the boat hooked on behind the truck????
    You do mean (boat?) trailer? Yes. But traveling back, in northern Arizona, the tongue on that old single axle Trailcar trailer broke off, and we dragged it about a quarter mile with the safety chains--built a new tandem axle trailer after we got home---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the 1969 Lake Havasu World Championship of Outboard Racing - Day 1! Thanks to Backfire, we have some footage of Havasu 1968, to take us back farther, in our time machine!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4