Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spark Plugs for MAD EFI System 2.5 260(245)carb motor

Hey Guys i will be converting my 2.5 245 carb motor to he mad system this winter/spring/summer. Couple Questions.

What Plugs should i be running. My guess is the NGK BUZHW's Like it call for in the 260's and 280's( i currently run NGK BUHW's with the carbs.)

I bought the full set up computer reeds injectors flywheel with the magnets for the comp, fuel pump, and reg. This is the link
    http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...hlight=mad+efi

Is there anything else that i should be getting my hands on? ive never played with one of these so if anyone has any expericance setting em up your help would really be appreciated

thanks Jay
    89 charger-93 merc 2.5L 245hp
    Soon to be MAD EFI!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang Jay, I was gonna buy that set up , he said he already had a deposit on it

I run that system on my alky motor and it takes patience and understanding to "tune" it.

On fuel I can "dial it in" in just a matter of a few hours on the dyno. On the Hydro I don't mess with anything below 8500 rpm due to spinning 9200+ on the launch So all that time "tuning" was a waste for my application

If you'll look at the input and shoot me the #'s I can tell you how close it is and maybe get you closer a lil quicker. I have the "tune" for a stock 260, mildly ported 260, all the way up to a Ruck version of a drag cut 260

Ronnie

Kaase Outboard Hydro/Bottle Fed 300 Drag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awsome thanks Ronnie.

Im running at 3500' but i also go down to 1300', so im deffinatly goin to need all the help i can get.

How much of a difference you think ill notice with this system? I think once i get it figured it will be a great system for my setup and ability to fine tune for that elevation difference that i experiance alot

jay
    Soon to be MAD EFI!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's a well tuned 245 you'll notice a signicant difference, but if it's an ok tune, big difference. What I've noticed is RPM, it'll spin higher while continuing to make power. The concept behind it was "simple", but it's a way to "tune" for every 300 rpm range throughout unlike an ECU that gets close. Every motor has it's needs as far as fuel, and this like a Brucato PCU helps with accurate fuel delivery. If a motor is "fat" it wants to choke on the launch and stumble throughout it's rpm climb, but if you can lean it out to what the motor likes then it makes more power and a much smoother transition through the climb.

Once you learn the # system, you'll begin to change the fuel curve for every prop you run (some need more fuel, others need less) untill it becomes an obsession.... then every time you get into a friends boat you'll know what it needs or has too much of

This is just the beginning of "fine tuning" a Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now im pumped to get this thing goin. The tune as just cumming in good when i ran just above freezing in october the boat ran awsome sounded awsome and was very crisp, other then that i have been really struggling with elevation jetting and proping

i was reading about their system on their website nd it does seem very intricate.

I know im a lil rich down low as it tends to be a bit of a pig outta the hole loads up really quick i find. doesnt help that both places i do the bulk of my boating i have to idle a ways befor i can get on plane
    Soon to be MAD EFI!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately their website offers NOTHING for an outboard tune. I've been on the phone and emails back and forth until I learned enough to get somewhere and once I had the fuel motor running as good if not better than the PCU I switched it to the alky motor.

A good EGT Pyro is a must, as you can watch the EGT's come up or down while changing the #'s for that particular rpm.

Wayne Taylor (RIP) helped me in the beginning (briefly, we got busy talkin about too many other ideas) but he was able to explain the fuel curve well enough that I had a starting point. I did change back to the traditional method SDS uses and will change back to Wayne's method this Spring.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have good luck with the NGK BR8HS gapped 2 .035"... Another good plug for surface gapped type is NGK BUZHW but get ready to grab your wallet..If you like Iridum I like NGK BR9HIX or Denso 1WF24 they are also pricey...

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks jay ill give the BR8HS a try
    Soon to be MAD EFI!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Way2slow on H2O View Post
    Unfortunately their website offers NOTHING for an outboard tune. I've been on the phone and emails back and forth until I learned enough to get somewhere and once I had the fuel motor running as good if not better than the PCU I switched it to the alky motor.

A good EGT Pyro is a must, as you can watch the EGT's come up or down while changing the #'s for that particular rpm.

Wayne Taylor (RIP) helped me in the beginning (briefly, we got busy talkin about too many other ideas) but he was able to explain the fuel curve well enough that I had a starting point. I did change back to the traditional method SDS uses and will change back to Wayne's method this Spring.
    The computer has the built in egt guage i just need the senders or do i need a seperate guage too. I did without egt guage this summer but i know im goin to struggle to get even close to it running great without the egt's
    Soon to be MAD EFI!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Plugs: Either a BR9HS10 or a BR8HS10 NGK the surface gap plugs are not wort s%#t IMO Tom
    1998 SS 2000 94 260ss
    Speed cost how fast you want to go
    Allison and Merc is there anything else?

11. Thanks pkstv thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice !three flying toilets! gonna make sum pwr!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I went from a horn to the MAD and love it.....you will to Charger

Glad you picked it up. I ran a best of 90.7 on GPS with my rig at the end of the summer NEVER thought I'd see those kinda numbers outta my rig....never !!

Chris
    God, Country, and Fast Boats
    SPECIAL BOAT TEAM 12/ HSB'S SOC NSWU-1

Live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. And when your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that they weep and pray for more time that they may live there life over in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a Hero going home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charger200 View Post
    The computer has the built in egt guage i just need the senders or do i need a seperate guage too. I did without egt guage this summer but i know im goin to struggle to get even close to it running great without the egt's
    I use the Digatron dual EGT with digital tach that records the event. Any recall EGT will get you alarmed when you show the max temp due to the "spike" of the exhaust when you begin to slow down after a run.

Sears just had a good hand held meter that has EGT capability (black friday) for 69 bucks that compares to the Fluke and Mac that sells for 400 bucks. You can get by with one EGT to get close but better to have both banks covered. The rifle bolts are made to replace the exhaust cover bolts and the probes are thin enough to go through the rifle bolts and into the exhaust dump.

I have 8 for tuning, 6 in the head bolts that protrude into the exhaust ports, and the 2 at the bottom. I have 40+ injectors all labeled with different flow rates and if I need to lean a cylinder I can change injectors until I find what it's happy with (same as jets in a carb).

The one thing I will say about the MAD is the injectors are in front of the reeds which in my opinion make a better seal being wet and again in my opinion the air/fuel has/gets better atomization than crankcase injection. The theory behind it was straight flow for more air/fuel to the piston. When I put the horn back on my 260 I left the SDS the way it was with the MAD and it was pig rich on the bottom and wouldn't rev over 7600 period. After adjusting for the horn it equated to roughly 19% too much fuel. In fact it was so rich I could hit it with a 125 shot of nitrous w/out enrichment

As far as plugs, BR8HS10 for up to 160 psi compression, and their easier to read

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are awsome thanks for the Input

I know this boat has some potential, and i think the mad system will really get this thing goin. It will prob mean proping up as i dont want to rev this thing to the moon, but damn im excited. The last time out this year it really woke up with a real flat lake and cool temps, but my bad shoulder was givin me a real hard time being able to give the little steering input needed to keep it from getting too hairy, but she is all healed and i hope to be able to see some great numbers. The biggest problem is its DAMN hot in the summer, and boats all over where i run at the lower elevation, and spring isnt great cause of all the run off from the mountains, lots of debris in the water. Should still be a great summer with another learning curvewith this great hobby.

jay
    Soon to be MAD EFI!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lil info fer ya.....I don't know what injector ya gunna use, but after a lil conversation with Tony, I used tha XRI injectors...Tha XRI pulses are for front reed operation and tha 260 injectors are for crankcase operation...I wuz gunna use 260 injectors kuz I figger'd they flow'd more tha stock fish'in 200 xri injectors...WRONG!!......I use'd tha XRI injectors, wit a PCU on my lil bote(steel bo drag) and I have not "Tuned" it for all out top end(it will only turn 10.500, and iz pig fat over 9500)...

I don't know what control unit ya have, but fer me, dump'in tha simple digitol eloctroniks and goin to tha PCU wuz tha bess thang ta do...But thats juss my opinion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast