Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    It happened to OMC before the Ficht, they put those big carbs on the early loopers and on a heavy boat they were dogs,
    on light boat real screamers.
    A problem like that is nothing compared to what happened with the Fitch motors. It wasn't a matter of being a poor match for the use, the early Fitch motors actually self destructed in some applications and cost OMC a ton of money in warranty claims.

Quote Originally Posted by stan merck View Post
    Thats one of the reasons I think you see offshore and bass versions, very different applications.

I know there are some different drive set up choices between the motors, but I am unaware of significant differences in powerhead porting or compression between the motors.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    A problem like that is nothing compared to what happened with the Fitch motors. It wasn't a matter of being a poor match for the use, the early Fitch motors actually self destructed in some applications and cost OMC a ton of money in warranty claims.

I know there are some different drive set up choices between the motors, but I am unaware of significant differences in powerhead porting or compression between the motors.
    Some engs have different ecu mapping for applications.
    I think what killed alot of Fitch was running right around near the transition point where it goes from burning in the pocket to across the whole piston face. Trolling was a big problem for them sooting up everything. A friend of mine at that time worked at an Evinrude dealership that did alot of bass boats and they never had any problems with the first Fitchs they sold. Like you said, light boat and no trolling, just idle and WOT running pattern. Whats funny to me is I have ran 2 etecs a 225 and a 250 HO and both had stumbling around 1200 to 1500 rpm. From what others have told me is every etec has a bad spot you dont just hold it at. I think the optimaxes have figured all that out better than the etec engs. Opti is smooth thru the whole range.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SO the 250 SHO is only and ECU change away from being a 300 as per the offshore version?

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Force View Post
    SO the 250 SHO is only and ECU change away from being a 300 as per the offshore version?
    No, I was talking about older OMC motors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    No, I was talking about older OMC motors
    I'm sorry, I was referring to other manufacturers not necessarily OMC. I dont know what kind of ecu curves the Fitchs ran between various models, I just know that some manufacturers do run different curves in different applications of the same engine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as Etec, I have always heard that the 250 HO is the same powerhead as the 300 offshore eng. I would imagine the ecu mapping would be slightly different between those to though. The Yamaha hpdi 225 bass eng and the 250 offshore version were the same eng also. I have never checked to see if their ecus are a different part number for sure but I believe they are.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Force View Post
    Will be interesting to compare part numbers between them once Yamaha posts them, although the 300 is a digital shift eng and the SHO is just regular old mechanical linkage so they would have an altogether different ecu.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be interesting to compare part numbers between them once Yamaha posts them, although the 300 is a digital shift eng and the SHO is just regular old mechanical linkage so they would have an altogether different ecu.
    I agree, they may run a separate controller for the shift, though I doubt it..

Would be as nice thought that the ecu was the only thing holding it back, at around $1200 for a new yamaha ECU would make for a cheap extra 50hp!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=stan merck;1835454] The Yamaha hpdi 225 bass eng and the 250 offshore version were the same eng also. [QUOTE]

The 225 and 250 have different blocks...they are ported different. The 200 and 225 share the same porting though.
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DoktorC;1835530][QUOTE=stan merck;1835454] The Yamaha hpdi 225 bass eng and the 250 offshore version were the same eng also.

The 225 and 250 have different blocks...they are ported different. The 200 and 225 share the same porting though.
    What you said is true for the VZ bass engs. The Z250 offshore (25 & 30 inch) engs is the same block as the VZ 225 & 200. VZ 250 bass 20 inch eng was ported different than the others.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=stan merck;1835841][QUOTE=DoktorC;1835530]
    The Yamaha hpdi 225 bass eng and the 250 offshore version were the same eng also.

What you said is true for the VZ bass engs. The Z250 offshore (25 & 30 inch) engs is the same block as the VZ 225 & 200. VZ 250 bass 20 inch eng was ported different than the others.
    You're right!! That is very strange....sounds like the saltwater motor isn't a 250 lol.
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=DoktorC;1835891][QUOTE=stan merck;1835841]
    Quote Originally Posted by DoktorC View Post

You're right!! That is very strange....sounds like the saltwater motor isn't a 250 lol.
    Honestly, I forgot about the VZ200 and VZ 225 being the same block. I always thought the 200 was a strong 200! Yeah, the Z250 was kinda wimpy, roughly about 245 hp at the prop. Now I'm thinking what is the difference in the VZ 200 and 225 to detune it?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5