Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vee hull Vs. Tunnel

I have always owned/driven v-hull/tri-hull boats and have been looking into some of the tunnel hull boats as my next purchase. As someone who has never been in a tunnel hull what are some of the big differences as far as handling and versatility? Sometimes we pull skiers/tubers and would like to still be able to do that. I am usually in a shallow lake with some pretty decent chop but will sometimes head down to Kentucky/Tenn. for some smooth water. Any info or what I need to look for or be aware of would be appreciated. Looking for a boat in the 20'-25' range. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the most part Tunnel hull boats are easier to drive at high speeds than pad V hulls. Traditional deep V's are not hard either as you don't have to balance the hull on the pad. Much depends on what kind of tunnel you get too. A true can with no center sponson will not turn well at slower speeds and would not be ideal for tubing and skiing. Not that you could not do it but they just don't turn well. A center sponson cat like a Liberator, Cougar, Talon, and the STV's are all excellent performers at all speeds. Obviously the bigger the more difficult to manuever at slow speeds.

I'm a pad V guy from way back. I can jump in a cat and run it full speed with just a few passes to get a feel for the boat. Most pad V guys can do this as the most important function of driving a tunnel is trim. You have to be careful with the trim or bad things can happen. Driving a pad V is much harder as your balancing the hull on a small flat pad which takes some seat time to learn.

Having said all that I think you can't go wrong with a 20-25ft Tunnel. They are extemely cool, very fast with moderate power and fun to drive.

Forgot to add that you may want to condsider a bigger hull like the 21 lib, 21 and 22 Talon will be better than the 18ft STV's and River Racers for KY Lake. It's easy to stuff the smaller hulls.
    Last edited by Wizard; 10-15-2009 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wizard Is Right On

Particularly if your home water is rough, the 21 pod tunnels are comfortable, can handle a decent chop with little effort, and have lots of room for kids and tubes. The post '96 21 Liberator has more freeboard than the Cougar and Eliminator, nice in a rough idle zone as waves are less likely to wash in over the transom. Anybody can screw up and turn a boat over, but my undersatnding is that a single engine version of any of these is pretty hard to blow over in the traditional tunnel sense.

Also, all tunnels have a speed zone where they porpoise. True tunnels worse than pod tunnels. Depending on prop, mine will porpoise between 60 and 65, or 65 and 74 with the big prop--you just need to avoid that typically narow speed range.

They are easy to drive--our v-hull friends accuse us of having training wheels.
    Per Rock:

"Once I bought my first Hydrostream boating changed forever for me."

Per my hero Instigator:

"I try not to let common sense interfere w/my boat buying decisions."

Pat Gent
    cell 954-249-3246
    '78 Hydrostream Vandal (being rebuilt)
    '86 21' Eliminator Daytona, 300 OMC V-8 (Li'l Toy III)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stv guy here, but cannot argue with either post above. good answers.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IM A VBOTTOM GUY AND I LOVE DRIVING MY BOAT BUT I HAVE GOT IN TO A MIRAGE (TRI HULL) AND RAN IT OVER 100 WITH NO PROBLEM FIRST TIME IN THE BOAT. BUT FROM WHAT THEY ARE SAYING YOU RUN IN THE CHOP A LITTLE SO A MIRAGE WOULDNT BE YOUR BEST BET. I AGREE WITH THE 20' AND UP.

I HAVE HEARD THO THAT THE CAT HULLS (TRU TUNNEL LIKE A SKATER) ARE DIFFERENT AND CAN BE A HAND FULL AT HIGH SPEEDS, FROM WHAT I HEAR ABOUT WARREN DRIVING HIS I WOULD BELIEVE IT... BUT I HAVE BEEN IN ONE OF THESE BOATS OVER 100 IN CHOP THAT I WOULDNT RUN 50 IN MY BOAT AND IT RODE LIKE A DREAM.

LIKE WIZARD SAID THE CAT HULLS AND THE TRI HULLS ARE DIFFERENT IF YOUR LOOKING FOR HANDLING AT ALL SPEEDS THEN THE TRI HULL IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. THE MIRAGE TURNS LIKE IT IS ON RAILS AT 50MPH

GOOD LUCK BE SAFE
    Mirage RR
    Lake Tarpon Boyz!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Toy View Post
    Particularly if your home water is rough, the 21 pod tunnels are comfortable, can handle a decent chop with little effort, and have lots of room for kids and tubes. The post '96 21 Liberator has more freeboard than the Cougar and Eliminator, nice in a rough idle zone as waves are less likely to wash in over the transom. Anybody can screw up and turn a boat over, but my undersatnding is that a single engine version of any of these is pretty hard to blow over in the traditional tunnel sense.

Also, all tunnels have a speed zone where they porpoise. True tunnels worse than pod tunnels. Depending on prop, mine will porpoise between 60 and 65, or 65 and 74 with the big prop--you just need to avoid that typically narow speed range.

They are easy to drive--our v-hull friends accuse us of having training wheels.
    ....well exept for the porpose thing

you may want to concider a stoker...not much out there will handle as good as a stoker...they ski very well, they are great in rough water, and turn on a dime at all speeds. not to mention they have more interior space than most tunnel hulls there size...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always had the impression that V bottoms carried weight better than MVP tunnels or true tunnels. Is this generally true, or just the boats I've happened to own.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true deep V like a big Checkmate will carry weight effortlessly. Pad V hulls slow down proportional to the weigh you add, especially up front. For example my Viking is easily 10 mph faster with a single driver then loaded with four passengers. On most bassboats there is a 5-8mph difference between loaded to fish with full gas and an empty driver only speed.

Pod tunnels can also be effected by weight but I don't think as much because they don't use trim to lift the hull. Air packs the tunnels lifting the hull. But physics is physics and it will take more power to push more weight no matter how effecient. Same is probably true with the big true tunnel cats. I just don't have enough personal experience to say how much a cat will be slowed by weight. I'm sure someone with more experience can answer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey J -

I alway thought going from a Pad-V or especially round-V to a tunnel was like going from a standard transmission to automatic in a car/truck.

If you can do one - the other is easier

Here is a link to a boat that might suit your needs. I've ridden in it and it's real smooth.

Not too far to go either

http://fastboatscanada.com/vBulletin...referrerid=654

PM me if interested and I can get you more info

Triad V21 - 225 Johnny HO Fishin' Motr

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)