Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

InControl Foot Throttle Install Help Please

I bought an InControl foot throttle with hand throttle adapter and want to install it but the instructions are a bit confusing.

I currently have a HotFoot and Billet shifter. I also have a Mercury side control box with 14' cables that will also be installed.

The 1st question (many to follow) is do I need to buy a really short cable to go from the InControl foot throttle to the yet to be installed side control?

I would really appreciate some help from someone who has been there - done that....

Thanks, TJ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Nice Pair" has installed the same combo unit on his boat, but for twins. Maybe he will add some direction as there does not seem to be many folks on the board who have done it. I would be interested as I want to install the same unit.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After reading the instructions about a dozen times it is starting to make sense. The only issue I have right now is in locating a Teleflex CC210 series cable to go from the side control to the foot throttle - Teleflex doesnt even have it on their web site.

I live in Prineville Oregon which is in the central part of the state
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In control

Unless they have changed something that I don't know about, then standard mercury cables should work fine. On mine the cable from the control box goes to the top of the InControl foot throttle. You want to make sure to have enough slack in that cable as not to short yourself. Make sure that once you get the length correct that your remove the inner cable from the outer cable and kind of grind a little taper on the outside of the cable the twists into the top of the foot control, or at least that is what I did on mine. It may seem a little tricky at first but just take your time and stare at it for a while and it all starts to make sense. That is the best damn foot throttle made. Leave the excess wire rope, don't cut it. Just make a small coil and tape it together and lay it behind the foot control as you might need to make an adjustment and it is better to have it and not need it.

Best wishes, Carter Powell

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My standard Teleflex Merc control cable from the (not yet mounted) control box has a standard Merc hookup on the other end. This is not the 33C end that the InControl unit asks for in order to use the hand throttle option. I am not sure about the present cable from the HotFoot to the motor which is installed now as the boat is at my lake cabin.

Thanks, TJ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have figgured it out. I need a CC210 Teleflex cable which should bolt into my Merc side control. Go2Marine has a 12' cable that will work. I am still looking for a shorter 210. The 210 has Merc stuff on the end for the control box and a 33C end for the foot throttle.

Now all I need to do is see if the cable from the motor to the installed HotFoot will work with the In Control unit. If not I will have to buy one that will. I am spending a week on the lake starting Saturday the 10th of Oct and should have all of the answers the week after.

What a nicely engineered unit the In Control foot throttle with side mount adapter is. I wonder if Diamond Marine (where I bought the foot throttle from) can get me a 210 cable shorter than 12'. We will see.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give them a call. Phone number for them is on the wbesite www.incontrolequipment.com. He'll be able to get you the answers you need.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post up some photos if you can ..........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those who have used both actually prefer the hot foot

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally found a 7' Teleflex CC210 cable and it came today. Should be an easy direct bolt-in. For anyone else wanting to do the same I got mine from BigEdgeSports thru Amazon.com

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tj I put one in a couple of mo. ago, not much time on it. Still getting used to. First foot thottle. At first it was VERY stiff, I don't see how the hand throttle would have worked. With careful observation, and hand manipulation, I calculated 2 1/4" OFF of return spring. Foot works almost like car now, hand still a little stiff, but set speed with foot, bring up hand,
    and let go! Now works great, needs driver adjustment now...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baracuda, is the hand portion of the combo throttle so stiff that you think there is something wrong? Also, post up a photo or two of the installed combo throttle. Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    Baracuda, is the hand portion of the combo throttle so stiff that you think there is something wrong? Also, post up a photo or two of the installed combo throttle. Thanks
    Yes it was at first, well, I didn't think anything was wrong.
    I expected it to be extremely stiff after feeling how stiff the
    foot throttle was. As said in my post, after careful observation/calculation, I determined I could cut 2 1/4"
    off of the return spring at the motor end, and still have plenty of tension to return to idle. Foot is now very smooth, hand is still a little stiff but very usable. You can set your speed with the foot, slip the hand up to that and let go.
    Holds it just like you put it there by hand.
    I'll get a couple of pics., but you can't see much with it installed. I used 14 or 15' cable for the hand. Goes back
    to beside the rear seat where I got a nice 6" radius loop,
    then back up the the foot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedal.JPG   Hand.JPG  
    Last edited by bacaruda; 11-10-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Pics

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally got my unit installed but did not quite have the guts to cut 2 1/4" off the return spring. I went for 2". Foot portion works fine but the hand portion is too stiff - as posted earlier set the speed with the foot and then bring the hand throttle up - that will work but it's not right. The 7' cable from the control box to the foot throttle was stiff even before I hooked it up to the foot throttle. I guess the next step is to take the hand throttle cable off the foot throttle, remove the side controller, take it apart and see why it is so stiff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more thing I did was take Carter's suggestion about gringing the end of the new cable for a good feed one step further. I put the end of the cable into some JB Weld epoxy and let it dry for 24 hrs Then took the dremmel grinder to it. It fed into the old cable housing easy as pie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast