Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Since both lower units are set up for the same rotation it is unlikely they were used together on one boat. For twin engines on one boat, one lower unit would turn clockwise and the other counterclockwise and the props would have been mirror images of each other but otherwise identically matched. The lower unit with the bolt thru the prop has been altered to use props made for Merc race motors and can no longer run the matching Littons 590's and 630's came with, the other lower unit still has the original tapered shaft and original Litton prop.

I doubt the 10 ft boat would even successfully float one of these motors, so I think the motors and boat came from different sources at different times ... and happened together by chance a long time ago.

As far as running a McCulloch in a hydro class in 1970, at that time in that class the much smaller Konig motors produced about twice the power at half the weight ... they wouldn't stand a chance.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    Since both lower units are set up for the same rotation it is unlikely they were used together on one boat. For twin engines on one boat, one lower unit would turn clockwise and the other counterclockwise and the props would have been mirror images of each other but otherwise identically matched. .
    Sam:

Did Scott offer a LH and RH choice?

The early Merc's did not and we ran the same rotation on dual mercs with stock units until 1966 or so. I am having trouble recalling when we first counter rotated speedmasters. The early cats did not really need counter rotation with the little units because of the reduced torque transfer through the tiny props.......

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember when I bought the boat the man saying that the boat would sink if stopped.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwk View Post
    I remember when I bought the boat the man saying that the boat would sink if stopped.
    At 10 feet in length a lot worse things could happen while it was moving.....

Maybe it stopped...sank...and that's why the engines are disassembled?
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe, but prob not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a better picture of the head you were talking about and the lower unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hydro2 004.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same pop-up pistons in engine with head on as other engine, so does that make it a race head?
    Fishing boat flywheel has had a little work done to it also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hydro2 009.jpg   hydro2 019.jpg  

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwk View Post
    Same pop-up pistons in engine with head on as other engine, so does that make it a race head?
    Fishing boat flywheel has had a little work done to it also.

That's standard on the 75hp Mac flywheel, they are all swiss cheesed like that, nothing special.

The head is std 75 hp pleasure motor, 2 differences ... the race head has no thermostat bump and the spark plugs cant off to the side at 45° instead of straight back.

Pistons appear to be std pleasure 75 hp pistons, .020" oversize, most likely since that one has 020 stamped on it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T2x

Rich, We ran counter Sportmasters and Speedmasters from the first time we got them around 60-61..And they were fresh from the Lake..I think even some M78A dr engines had counters..Sam would know for sure..he's younger and his memory is better..What?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes, 75's & 78's came in both rotations for dual operation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, 75's & 78's came in both rotations for dual operation
    That was the "dockbuster" variant. I am talking about the shiftable 1000's in both the stock and Speedmaster configurations. I know in JJ class we had to use a reversible gearcase...so we spun two RH props ( no problem with a Powercat...but my Vee Glastrons and Allison were a B*tch). You could run a shiftable gearcase locked in reverse..but they didn't last very long.

I am also curious about the 590's and the 630's....Did they come in RH and LH rotations?
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes and easier than a Speedmaster, they were designed to reverse with a simple rearrangement if the internal gears ... no different case, no different shaft, no different gear. Kies and Oxley carried the same principals to the Chrysler racing lower unit.

Oxley told me they built the first 630 prototype lower units and took them down to Site Six (Havasu) to test. They figured they would just run them until they broke and figure out what to improve. 8 hours a day for a week they ran them wide open ... over 75 mph all day long. The motors were about 8-10 hp less than what Merc was making, but its not like they were half the power of a Merc. At that point they decided they were not going to break outright so they disassembled them to inspect the wear. They were completely stunned that they were a little worn, but no where near worn out after 40 hours of wide open. The design was sent to Minneapolis for production with no changes.

13. Likes FMP liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You've been reading my comment that the 590 and 630 used a different head from the McCulloch pleasure motors. Here's a shot to show the visual difference from the outside

The 3 different heads are very easy to identify from the outside. The race heads have the spark plugs on the left side and tilted about 45° to the left, the 75.2 heads have the plugs exactly on center and pointing straight back. The 60 hp heads have the spark plugs on the right side also pointing straight back. Both the pleasure heads have a thermostat housing, the 630 does not.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    A few hundred 1961 "60 hp" motors are actually sleeper 75's ... you can tell if you have one of these by the cylinder head.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

I ran one of these, too briefly, in Aug., 1961. It was my last summer with outboards before going off to the univ. That Sunday I had my dad's Mark 78 on our 14' Allison, a little over 50 mph. Our local Scott dealer, Dave Rogan, who always wanted to outrun me, showed up at the island excited, wanted me to run his new outfit: the motor below on a 15' Norris Craft (we were on Norris Lake). I'd never turned the key on a Scott before, they were the enemy (we sold Mercury), but I somewhat reluctantly hoped in, hit the key and planned off. Dave said it had showed 55 mph on his speedometer. I looked back, surprised, there he was driving my Allison right behind me! He was curious about the Mercury, never having run one (and I was the fastest boat on the lake), and he also wanted to see his Scott pull off and leave the Allison. Well, his 75 missed and sputtered in an unhealthy way as it broke 50 mph, then wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I shut off the key. He hadn't retorqued the gearcase bolts, the beautiful racing gearcase was in 40' of water. Unfortunately, Dave never brought that outfit to the lake again.

PS The differences between the 60 and 75 were very likely present in the 'Scott 60' that set the NOA unlimited record at nearly 52mph ca. 1959 on a 13' Rose boat (the boat that Paul used to mold the first fiberglass Allison in 1961). J.C. Leatehrwood, the Scott dealer who set up the Rose, had heavy McCulloch support.

In 1961 McCulloch, the sucessor to Scott-Atwater improved the 60hp triple to 75.2 and introduced a gearshift racing lower unit for it ... the 75hp "Custom"

The differences between the 60 & 75 were piston & head shape, carbs and transfer port covers

The 40 & 60 used a wedge shaped combustion chamber, the 75 uses a hemi shaped combustion chamber
    Last edited by smokin'joe; 03-25-2010 at 04:32 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast