Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boat...

I am thinking that the boat may not have gone with these motors. It almost looks like it has a single stringer running down the center of the cockpit. Howard Pickerall from out on the tip of Long Island builds them like that. I am thinking a 70's Pickerall stock outboard boat.

Where did these motors and boats "live" ? Any idea of who owned them?

Thanks

Michael D-1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would trust you on the power loss with the header, but it sure would look great and make a hell of a noise!
    Thanks for the info again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike
    You may have hit the nail on the head. Boat was from south shore of LI. Owner had the whole story of racing in the 60's in the mid west. IDK. It was his brother who drove the boat, then used it on LI, Said he would outrun helicopters with it!
    What type of boat would they have gone on?
    Thanks Bob

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rwk View Post
    Hello
    The boat is 10' long. I read there were other special pieces missing, what are they?
    Only one motor has the correct flywheel, the red flywheel is a much heavier flywheel from a pleasure motor.

The cylinder head on the motor is also from a pleasure motor, and, since the real 590/630 pistons won't fit under the pleasure motor head, the special pistons can't be in there either.

So, there are 2 missing 630/590 heads and at least one set of 630/590 pistons not present.

I asked Oxley why the 630 head was not used on the pleasure motor, he told me it was judged to idle too rough, so the 75 hp head and pistons were developed for the pleasure motor. The 75 hp head gave better performance than the old 60 hp head (which was prone to detonation) but not as much power as the 630 head.

630 pistons have the same dome shape as the 60 hp pistons, but with much thinner rings and some oil grooves on the lower skirt. 75 hp pistons and heads work together and won't fit under the other heads, so there can't be a mismatch of 630 pistons under a 75 hp head.

I agree with Mike on the boat, it is for some other smaller motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    10 feet is unusually short for an F class hydro. Even today the shortest F's are 12 ft 6 inches; years ago 14 was considered a better size for F and X
    A bigger hydro, probably 13 or 14 ft

Or, if you were endurance racing in an OPC type class 2 motors would have been on a catamaran like a Stylecraft or Powercat ... but I suspect they would have needed the 3 inch longer mid section for a cat

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In the box of stuff with the gears ... the shaft at the top with the gear on it is a D Quickie shaft ... notice the water pump drive flat on the shaft and the chrome sections ... the rings in the chrome are the worn sections where the seals have rubbed the chrome surface off the shaft

In the next pic with the crankshaft along the bottom left corner ... the object in the center of the picture is the timing ring from a 2 cylinder Merc like a Mark 20H ... the Phelon type

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sam
    Did the pleasure motors also have the red engine block?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mk30h View Post
    Sam
    Did the pleasure motors also have the red engine block?
    Yes, when they upped to 75.2 hp they changed to red and changed the name to Scott-McCulloch from Scott-Atwater, but under the Sears/Elgin name they were silver. Most of the white blocks were 60 hp with a different distributor/alternator

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://powercatboat.com/87h.jpg
    Something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    A bigger hydro, probably 13 or 14 ft

Or, if you were endurance racing in an OPC type class 2 motors would have been on a catamaran like a Stylecraft or Powercat ... but I suspect they would have needed the 3 inch longer mid section for a cat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 87h.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a great looking twin. With two complete engines and lower units, spare blocks and part been enough to run a twin engined team? Could this hull and engine combo have been used in 1970? Was there a class for it? Would the story of top speed runs have been a possibility with this boat and engine combo?
    Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found the word "cyclops" written on one of the blocks that has been used. Was there a boat named "cyclops" back then that would have used these engines?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hydro 033.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That is a great looking twin. With two complete engines and lower units, spare blocks and part been enough to run a twin engined team? Could this hull and engine combo have been used in 1970? Was there a class for it? Would the story of top speed runs have been a possibility with this boat and engine combo?
    Thanks
    No, these were obsolete by their final year of production in 1965. By 1970 they would have been so outclassed they would be little more than a humoruos footnote.

Their glory years were 1962, 63 and 64 - and their popularity was geographically limited. In most areas they were unknown

There were some speed record attempts with them, but with little success or drama. I think a single engine 590 rig set a NOA class record, but the location of the motor is known and is not these motors

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point is that someone bought these engines in 65 as a package and ran them. Would it have been run as a twin engine boat or a single?
    Next question is, could the boat that I have and the engines I have run in some class? If the boat is from 1970 ( I do not know that for sure) and someone had these engines, run this combo somewhere? I thank you for all the help with ID ing all the parts you have a lot of info.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My point is that someone bought these engines in 65 as a package and ran them. Would it have been run as a twin engine boat or a single?
    Next question is, could the boat that I have and the engines I have run in some class? If the boat is from 1970 ( I do not know that for sure) and someone had these engines, run this combo somewhere? I thank you for all the help with ID ing all the parts you have a lot of info.
    I agree with Sam (Mark 75H). 1970 was well past the prime window for those motors. The Long Island connection is also interesting in that I was very active in the OPC scene there at that time (1961-81). To my knowledge no single or multi engine "Muckalucks", as we called them, were racing in OPC from that area, so that eliminates the multi engine possibility (All multi's were OPC boats). There was a large stock and modified outboard population in the area as well headed up by people like Emil Maier and many others, but I saw a lot of those guys at various races and don't recall ever seeing a 590 or a 630. I was always intrigued by those motors, but never saw any of them east of the Missisippi. Of course I didn't look in every garage, and some guys ran NOA races traveling to Tennesee and beyond to avoid the stricter APBA rules. Obviously, your equipment was out on the Island somewhere.

The other possibility is that each harbor on the island had a guy with the "fastest boat". These boats could be anything from outboard hydros, to dual engine cats, to inboard Zuback and Anacapri runabouts. These boats rarely raced in organized events, but most local yacht clubs had annual "run watch ya brung" races, usually around the 4th of July or Labor Day weekends. I confess to cherry picking a few of those myself for the trophies and marine equipment prizes ( a few even paid cash). Perhaps your equipment was part of such an effort?

In any event, good luck with your stuff and if it starts to bore you...call Sam first .

T2x
    Last edited by T2x; 01-07-2010 at 01:19 PM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast