Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My New Glastron

Hi Guys

<O</OI have just bought a new boat with a view to using it to Ski/ Wakeboard behind. It was advertised as an '87 Glastron CVX-17, but after trawling the formus on here and a view Google image searches, I have a feeling that it is a CVX-16.<O</O
    <O</O

The boat itself is in excellent condition having been dry stored and unused for at least the last 10 years, and I was told that it has only ever seen use on fresh water lakes. It has an Evinrude V6 225HP on the back which I know from the serial number to be a 1986 (and made in Belgium I believe!). It looks like the engine has been on the boat from new as there are no signs of any other engine (bolt holes, scuff marks etc). The boat was made in the UK by Roger Clarke Marine under liscence to Glastron (according to the plaque on the dash).<O</O
    <O</O

The only issue with the boat is that it has a cracked windshield, with I will look into fixing.<O</O
    <O</O

I'm interested to see is anyone can confirm what boat this is and if anyone has any information of the UK built Glastrons? Also, any thoughts on the 225 on the back?!?! I believe that it may be somewhat over powered!<O</O
    <O</O

I look forward to reading your thoughts!<O</O
    <O</O

Rich<O</O
    <O</O

PS.<O</O
    <O</O

I took her out for a brief run over the weekend... and she went well, even managing a little wakeboard test! I was nowhere near full throttle as the sea was a little choppy and I want to get used to driving it before I give it max! Lets hope for a clam one this weekend…<O</O

Last edited by dickie_jim; 09-07-2009 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Better Picture Links!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be because your pictures are so large
    but it looks more like an 18ft to me. No matter
    because your right about the boat being a tad
    bit overpowered (leagle wise anyway). For some
    people it would not be overpowered and for some
    it would.

My only two suggestions would be to advise the
    driver to be carefull and respectfull of that much
    motor on a small boat.
    Secondly, I can`t really tell buy your pictures if
    it has duel cable stearing but if it doesn`t, It surely
    needs it.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are one of my favorite boats and are awsome for sking and so on. If it is a 16 then its way overpowered and can't imagine running it wide open.
    My buddy has one with a 115 inline Merc (brown stripe) and its perfect with that engine. I'm sure a V4 would be nice to.
    They are a nice boat though.
    (Apricot)
    Hydrostream Ventura II/Merc
    (sold)
    (Bruiser Scheme)
    Hydrostream Viking/Merc
    (sold)
    (tri color letdown scheme)
    Hydrostream Valero/Merc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies so far!

As I'm sure you are aware, I am kinda new to all this... I have owned a couple of small speedboats when I was younger, but nothing as powerful as this!

When I took her out for a brief test run over the weekend, all was good even thought I only got to about half throttle... and that was pretty quick!

Da Bull, it only has single cable steering... why would I need duel and what does this setup look like?

Rossi, Thanks for the comment... I kind of stumbled accross this boat, but I am glad I did! I was just looking for something to wakeboard/ ski behind... any tip onf setup to increase wake etc?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great,nice find!Dual for safety reasons,plus kill switch and performance lifejacket!Common sense,safety,and practice,practice,practice=good times!!!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always have my life jacket on and kill switch attached... Not really up for my boat going anywhere with out me!

I'm looking forward to getting that practice in! )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Boat

I had a glasstron very close to that it was a 16 ft 1989 Carlson Signature Series, red and white the year on yours will be the last two numbers in or on the vin number stamped on the back starboard side of the boat it is a sweet boat!!! Mine was rated for a 150 hp. I had a 94 150 Black max Merc on mine with a Jack plate and low water pickup nose cone lower unit ,it ran around 62 to 64 mph on a GPS with a 24 pitch Chopper, but with that 150 motor it was a WILD RIDE !!! Be carefull with that much HP at your disposal and only having singal cable steering !!! also a hot foot would be a good idea keeping two hands on the weel is always a good !!
    '87 Velaro YT, '98 150 ProMax, A SMOOOOOOOOTH 82 mph !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice Mike. I think that an upgrade to dual steering and a hot foot over the winter may be in order before I fully let rip!

I was originally going to get a slightly newer boat... butI'm glad I went for this one... I love the slightly retro look!