Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flywheel Question 150hp

My 1979 mercury 150hp serial# 5204749 is missing the flywheel cover and I need to do a lync and sync. I was thinking of just making my own timing pointer out of sheet metal to get by but I have found a used 1989 175hp louvered flywheel cover on ebay, will this fit my older 150hp so that I can set the timing on it.....Thanks Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the cover fits it would work ONLY if you were to dial indicate TRUE and accurate TDC on the existing flywheel. If the flywheel cover opening does NOT correspond to existing timing marks create your own . I use a JSRE TDC dial indicator all the time to remark flywheels that have the marks machined off OR customers are choosing not to use the plastic cover and opt for the Drag Motor pointer that mounts to the block on the starboard side of the motor at the split case areas, then the original marks on the flywheel become unusable...

The JSRE TDC gauge is $75.00 + freight and a useful tool for confirming flywheel marks being accurate as well as trouble shooting ignition issues..

Jay
    Jay @ JSRE