Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yamaha 250hpdi fuel consumption

Can anyone tell me if the fuel consumption of a yamaha 250hpdi is comparable to a etec or 250xs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of the DI motors, the Opti gets the best fuel economy, and usually the Yam and the Rude are pretty close to each other. My only experience with a 250HPDI, a friend had a Stratos he had borrowed for the week identical to mine, except his had a 250HPDI and mine had the 225HO Etec. They would run very close to each other on the top end, but at the end of a week of fishing (he was showing me around the lakes, so we did a lot of the same running), he did burn a good amount more fuel than I did. I don't know if he drove harder than me, if it wasn't setup right, or what, but I know that at the end of a week I had filled up twice and he had to fill up twice and top off a third time for the final day (50 gallon tank in each boat).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeBullet View Post
    Of the DI motors, the Opti gets the best fuel economy, and usually the Yam and the Rude are pretty close to each other. My only experience with a 250HPDI, a friend had a Stratos he had borrowed for the week identical to mine, except his had a 250HPDI and mine had the 225HO Etec. They would run very close to each other on the top end, but at the end of a week of fishing (he was showing me around the lakes, so we did a lot of the same running), he did burn a good amount more fuel than I did. I don't know if he drove harder than me, if it wasn't setup right, or what, but I know that at the end of a week I had filled up twice and he had to fill up twice and top off a third time for the final day (50 gallon tank in each boat).
    Don't know too much on the HPDI. As Awesome said the Opti gets better fuel economy than the Etec, but it also uses more oil.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 300HPDI is very good on fuel...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by critta View Post
    Can anyone tell me if the fuel consumption of a yamaha 250hpdi is comparable to a etec or 250xs.
    Up to about 2500 rpm the opti and e-tec will do better on fuel, from there on the hpdi is pretty much right with them. The hpdi at idle speeds burns fuel across the whole piston top like a convential 2 stroke. It has a regular flat dome 2 stroke piston, no pockets or anything. They run and sound like a regular 2stroke at idle speeds, kind of has that roughness of a regular 2 stroke. Consequently they have never had any of the sooting problems that plagued the other designs with changing burn patterns from a small pocket to across the whole piston top. To me they are the best sounding DI engs made. They over all have had fewer problems then the others but all them now are good engs. I would say power wise a VZ250 wont hang with a 250 XS or 250 HO but thats what the VZ 300 is for, that should of been called the VZ250.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to HP actually on a dyno the 225 HO is the hottest, then the 225 pro or sport xs, and their where talkin minuscle amounts of HP as the diff, but as you all know the 225ho is 247hp at the prop, the 250 HPDI is supposedly more comparable to the 225ho and pro,where the 225 HPDI gets smoked by the other 2...the 300 HPDI is around 269hp on version 1 and version 2 is supposedly 284-289, ive seen some ACTUAL dynos on Black 250s doin damn near that much.....I think the Yammie is a great motor IF SETUP right, and now that they are done with 2 strokes how long will parts be around for, Im asking seriously? I think if we could take parts of all 3 and mix them together we'd have a Sick ass motor....all 3 are killer, I drove some Pro XS's the other day at the Bass Cat Dealer Meeting, and yes they are rudimentary compared to the Etecs in drivability and smoothness, but man do they run good.....Lets take the 250 HO of Bretts "E-TEC 1" mate it to a Sportmaster, drop it on a Stroker or Ally and see what happens, I think alot of Merc guys would be pleasantly shocked.....Good luck on your HPDI, just make sure its set up by a Yammie Master Tech, and if she ever needs more HP call Hydrotec and turn her into a 370 HP MONSTER!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    When it comes to HP actually on a dyno the 225 HO is the hottest, then the 225 pro or sport xs, and their where talkin minuscle amounts of HP as the diff, but as you all know the 225ho is 247hp at the prop, the 250 HPDI is supposedly more comparable to the 225ho and pro,where the 225 HPDI gets smoked by the other 2...the 300 HPDI is around 269hp on version 1 and version 2 is supposedly 284-289, ive seen some ACTUAL dynos on Black 250s doin damn near that much.....I think the Yammie is a great motor IF SETUP right, and now that they are done with 2 strokes how long will parts be around for, Im asking seriously? I think if we could take parts of all 3 and mix them together we'd have a Sick ass motor....all 3 are killer, I drove some Pro XS's the other day at the Bass Cat Dealer Meeting, and yes they are rudimentary compared to the Etecs in drivability and smoothness, but man do they run good.....Lets take the 250 HO of Bretts "E-TEC 1" mate it to a Sportmaster, drop it on a Stroker or Ally and see what happens, I think alot of Merc guys would be pleasantly shocked.....Good luck on your HPDI, just make sure its set up by a Yammie Master Tech, and if she ever needs more HP call Hydrotec and turn her into a 370 HP MONSTER!!!!
    Never heard of a version 1 or 2 VZ300. Series 2 engs are the the same hp. All the ones I have seen, new and old are right around 275 hp at the prop, basically the same as a 250 XS and 250 HO. Between those three engs it comes down to setup and prop as to who is fastest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks

Thanks for the info.
    Looking at updating the Merc 250efi to something more economical. A dealer over here had a near new one for sale. Rang him today but as usual had just sold.