Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best stock 2 stroke up to 2.7litre

Does anyone have any opinions on the best stock standard (can be a HO or XS motor) available that is up to 2.7 litre capacity. Waterski racing in Australia has increased the motor size from 2.5 litres to 2.7 litres. I am looking at a new motor late this year and have to chose on which class to run. We have to run stock lower units on the stock powerheads. The best motor has been the mercury under the current 2.5 litre capacity rules. I would think it will still be even with the 2.7 litre limit.

Thanks
    Jason

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, my vote goes to the 150 "HO" E-TEC. It comes with high speed gearcase, 5 year warranty even if raced, 3 year dealer servicing and the very cool I-Command gauges here in Oz and as of last week BRP here in Sydney had some going for about $17K. Only other engine that would I would consider is the new 175HP OPTI ProXS, but has no warranty if raced and only comes with 12 month warranty for pleasure use, higher service costs, is noiser and dearer to buy.

Yes the 2.0L Mercs did dominate, but now with these rule changes and the fact that the Merc and Evinrude V6 both are similar cc (2507 vs 2592) they will be the engines of choice and really with these guys only producing "clean" engines (the EFI 150HP and 200HP are still around, but not for long)the E-TEC is trumps.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. We are set up as SMOC currently but the idea of the 2.7 litres class got put in my head over the weekend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    225hp 2.7 liter Suzuki EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, Only trouble is we are limited to 200 advertised hp. Forgot to mention that part.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the 225HP Suzuki is not made anymore.

Here in Oz, you can only get V6 EFI 150 and 200HP and the OPTI and E-TEC new and I would not mind betting that by 2011 year model the "dirty" engines will also not be available, so there will be some cheap new EFI for sale next year while Merc trys to offload them while they stil can.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huey,

Why not the 2.6 litre 200hp ETEC? Is it because the 150HO has the better gear case and pick ups?

Jason

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jason, yes. On the same hull the "HO" and small block 200HP would be a close race, but I would have my money on the HO with the right set-up and prop. Now if you could buy a small block 200 "HO" or had the dollars to buy a 200HP 2.6L E-TEC and fit it with the L2 box than that would be another story. Like the old saying-"how fast do you want to go-how deep are your pockets"

Also if the 2.6L start coming with the new lost foam exhaust housing with the new exhaust valve from the V4 "HO" that would also "wake up" the 200HP 2.6L E-TEC and running the L2 box this engine would be hard to beat because the new 200ProXS is a 3.0L.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a BRP man but can't see anything from them running with the 2.5L 200 (xS?) merc that everyone runs now. Ski Racing Australia must have lifted the size to allow some other engines in but I'm not sure what?

What about adding a 3.1L up to 225HP production class? That would put the Merc Optimax up against the Etecs in another class in addition to Smoc.
    Last edited by Skirace87; 07-06-2009 at 10:19 PM.
    BOAT - Bring Out Another Thousand $

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the 2.5 merc has a high rpm limit going for it also. I want to stay where warranty is in place but still want to compete. Sounds like save a bit more $ and continue the SMOC route as planned. According to the bloke I spoke to we need to see the new rules.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys the change to 2.7lt was intended to get a few more engine options (new and old) with the idea of boosting the class numbers.

It does allow for the new small block etecs, but also older yammi's suzi's and the early (before 3.0lt) OMC looper's. ie: 200XP/GT.

I agree with skirace, that 200xs is an awesome little engine and will take a lot of beating, however at least now if someone has one of these older engines (or wants to buy a new one) the class caters for them.
    Darren Spencer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I don't know the 2.5l class well. I figured no way anything could go up against the merc out of the new engines that are around.

SMOC it is for us.