Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    Phantomuk, Remember Dude, I live 45mins from Mercury Marine, Dude theirs like a handful of guys that make up Merc Racing, its not at all like what the past was. The racing motors as far as I was told last week by our New Master tech who was laid off from Merc in June, they are all made in the same plant, Im not sure if their Hand Made anymore, but all Im saying is yes theirs a race division, but if PRODUCTION, 5yr warrantied motors are Kickin their Butt, then whats the use of a Race Division? Im not a Merc Basher, I have a Merc Jacket (ha,ha,ha)and I do understand that for the 2% of boaters that Surface a Prop that Mercurys SPorty is Key, but remember 2%, how long will that stuff last, especially in this Global Economy.....I think Evinrude is going to be alone in the 2 stroke game pretty soon here, the Opti will only last so long...Im not bein a Ass, just posting a Opinion guys....Brannon
    Brannon, i know your are no ass, i have massive respect for you! i think you are spot on with the 2 stroke assumption.
    I am aware that the racing is in general is not what it used to be, i myself really want BRP to do a full on race motor, even if it is just an engineering excercise.

I am not here to bash anyone, but once the real facts are out then we as ETEC fans can really sing from the roof tops!
    Paul

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had some email trouble, but I see there was quite some response to my question
    Don't want to start a hassle, being an engineer I'm just after the facts.
    -> a true, genuine correct hp chart of the 150HO.
    The article with the 150hp engines test is in following magazine : http://www.relay.com/Publications/Fi...category_id=24
    It's also wide open available on the internet if you search well
    The "brand you've never heard of" is Selva. Comes out second strongest hp in this test btw.
    http://www.selvamarine.com/products.php

I find it very strange, it is so hard to find that one number for the 150HO.
    I tried looking at this question from another angle.
    As the 150HO is EPA emission compliant it should have an exact Kw rating on the emission certificate.
    According to the people on continuouswave the 200HO has 220hp and the 225HO has 247hp on the EPA certificate.
    No info on the 150HO yet...
    http://www.epa.gov/otaq/certdata.htm
    http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/015129.html => really interesting, take your time...

@phantomuk : nice to meet a boatmad user here on S&F.
    You say you'll be putting your performance results on the forum. Does that include a dyno ? Just curious...
    I know the people from the Belgian F3 team that run a 150HO engine.
    Big question for the upcoming season is if there engine is compliant with F3 rules or not.
    Last year we had a live comparison test in F3 waterskiracing : they 've outrun the compitition at each start and top end speed races.
    Some teams felt the HO team clearly had an advantage in this so-called standard 150hp racing class.
    We have a thread going on about the 150HO on our Belgian forum, and it's about 30 pages long (so far). Yes 30!! it's not a typo.
    We would like to talk facts! exact hp rating of the 150HO is what we are after.

@ seahorse & 150aintenuff
    I guess I'm wrong with my statement the 150HO is only subjected to a +-5% deviation (for governed engines or systems more than 100kW.)
    I don't understand what an governed engine or system is in fact... Could be a language thingy don't know.
    But What deveation is allowed for the 150HO ??? is it 5 - 6 - 10 % ??
    I've re-read ICOMIA Standard No. 28-83 paragraph 7 and also 6.2
    Think it's 6% now..........
    What exactly is the consequence/penalty when an engine manufacturor exceeds this % rule ?
    150aintenuff, you say "rebadge as higher hp or destroy" ??

Again, I respect everyone's opninions and I do not want to start any hassle here.
    The only thing I'm after is a true, genuine correct hp rating of the 150HO.
    Still no luck, but I feel we 're getting closer

Kind regards,
    T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude the regular etec 150 says 181, the HO is faster because of the Lower Unit, on pontoons Ive seen 3mph....Now im not at all saying the 150 HO is more power, but why is the 150 at 181 or so??????? All I can tell you guys is BUY ONE, and race other 150s.....Dont ruin it for the Buyers....Their is no documentation, but theirs non on the others either.....Cheers guys. Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Regarding the French "Dyno" test that most of you have seen (I hope). Here is a response from an insider who has an intimate knowledge of this dyno.

Quote >>
    A friend of mine sent me a copy of the French magazine 150 test. I can't read the language but one picture shows an International Dyno, formerly known as a K&O brand. It is simply a hydraulic pump that fits to the propshaft with an aluminum splined adapter pipe. The gauge registers in PSI and the instuction booklet shows approximate pressure readings for various motors, with different specs for new and used engines at a certain rpm. It does not read horsepower. I helped the company with testing of the machines many years ago and am very familiar with them. Hydraulic oil temp plays a big part in the pressure readings also so it is hard to get an accurate repeatable test, it will always vary by a few hundred pounds of pressure.

The dyno is handy for troubleshooting midrange or high speed problems but is only accurate nominally for engine output, just like a factory test wheel, depending on the humidity, air temp, oil temp, and whether the rubber hose muffler system is attached.

The factory gave me a formula for converting their PSI to horsepower, but it was only a guide, not precise at all. I used to run the motors from 3000 to full throttle and plot the pressure readings on a spreadsheet graph which gave an indication of the torque curve. From that I plugged in the formula to plot the hp to show the customer. That way it justified the 1 hour charge for a dyno test.

So when the mag says the 150 puts out 180hp- it is highly inaccurate and misleading. The regular and HO 150 put out the same which is close to the 10% limit. The Lightning gearcase makes the biggest difference in speed. "End Quote"

It should be noted that ALL the tested 150's seem to show higher than standard HP so it tends to show that this "Dyno" is reading "high" re max horsepower.

======================================================================

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Ken, So Ken it proves that the 150 ETEC puts out the most power, just might not be 180?????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffy View Post
    Had some email trouble, but I see there was quite some response to my question
    Don't want to start a hassle, being an engineer I'm just after the facts.
    -> a true, genuine correct hp chart of the 150HO.
    The article with the 150hp engines test is in following magazine : http://www.relay.com/Publications/Fi...category_id=24
    It's also wide open available on the internet if you search well
    The "brand you've never heard of" is Selva. Comes out second strongest hp in this test btw.
    http://www.selvamarine.com/products.php
    Selva is an italian company.

the Selva 150 DFI (it was named white shark I think), which is not sold any more, actually was/is an Yamaha 150 HPDI with an own Selva cover, no other changes.

Selva does this also with their 4-stroke line, which are Yamaha engines with Selva covers.
    As it seems on the picture of the magazine, the tested Selva is a 150 4-stroke Yamaha in Selva design, as all their other 4-strokes.

Only the old fashioned 2-strokes and the new little DFI 2-strokes are Selva own engines.
    kindly Regards,
    Ferdi

my site

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    Hey Ken, So Ken it proves that the 150 ETEC puts out the most power, just might not be 180?????
    The E-Tec 150hp is actually closer to 165hp, EVERY OTHER so called 150hp brand is LESS than 165hp.

On reading the statement above it seems that:-

The E-Tec 150HO has a more efficient gearcase (L2) with a more direct gear ratio (1.86:1)allowing higher speeds on light fast boats.
    The NON HO model is still 165hp but has a different gearcase (M2) with a lower gear ratio (1.85:1) which is suited to heavier boats & bigger loads.

Both engines are torque monsters, very quick, fuel & oil efficient & ultra low emission leaders, particularly in Carbon Monoxide.

====================================================

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury comes with the 150 Pro XS answer ....

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/m...oXS_SS_410.pdf

Also 150 hp + 10% as the HO? 4.7 mph faster than the Evinrude 150 HO...

http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...50-ProXS/page1

Discussion continues with a 150 hp + 5 % and "no competition or high performance engine" - rule in European F3 Waterski racing class...
    Last edited by Stevie SSB; 08-17-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3