Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercpunk View Post
    i dont know if this has been mentioned it is kinda of a no brainer but before welding the opening t on the ''luber'' twist it on and see where it gets tight and then mark and weld that way the opening faces up !!!
    no offense, but if you look at the luber mentioned in the post above , and follow the link with pictures of the luber..why would you want to drag the welder out? i made this luber for probably 15.00 and no welding required. its so easy...i wish they would make a sticky of it.since i dont own a welder, i made this out of necessity. this subject of sticky cables,steering lubers,etc. has had over 6000 views, but there seems to be so many questions.. this steering cable luber is so simple, and it works great for almost anyone that has cable steering.and should work from either end of the cable
    Last edited by bassracr; 02-16-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info, many of the steering systems are Teleflex and several other brands where the rack is a fixed piece of the cable and will not readily come off. Flushing from the helm end usually seems to work the best. After flushing the big thing is forcing some synthetic motor oil thru the cable makes the job complete.
    The good part about this thread is it shows there are many ways to skin this cat and everytime it saves someone some $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by bassracr View Post
    my rideguide setup in my allison is what i would consider a rack system. i disassembled the racks under the console(steering wheel) and if i remember right.just removed the nut at the end of each toothy rack and slid it off ...leaving a rod (steering cable) sticking out of the grey plastic covered cable housing . i then put my hose over the rod and onto the cable housing and clamped the hose to the O.D of the cable housing using 2 hose clamps and had no problem sealing and forcing the cleaner and lubricant from the front of the boat, to the back. please see the illustration below on attached post 19 and 20 http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...steering+luber and you can see a picture of the simple luber i made
    just wanted to clarify this, if someone with a rack system thinks this style of luber will not work on a rack system. if it is like mine , it will work from either end. as discussed before it will work better pushing from front to back. hope this helps. i did mine about 3 yrs. ago and its still very smooth
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mercpunk View Post
    i dont know if this has been mentioned it is kinda of a no brainer but before welding the opening t on the ''luber'' twist it on and see where it gets tight and then mark and weld that way the opening faces up !!!
    If the cable nut on the steering cable is that froze up:

1. How in the he!! did you get it off the motor?
    2. Maybe it's beyond lubing.
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well.......My luber iz like a good pot ov red beenz........It'z 4 or 5 yeerz ole, an git's better ever time I use it!!!........Theyz alwayz a rite way, and a wrong way, an my way iz never rite, but damm if it don't work!!!........

I thank when sumpth'in keeps improve'in meenz it wuz close ta bein wher it need'd ta start.,..I've leern'd a lot about Lubers, since tha original one dat I shared wit everbody on tha Hydrostreem board...I've also seen sum good ideers since then.......but, all said and dun, they do tha same thang....And tha people sell'in steer'in cables HATE YA!!!....lOl.....

If U kan improve sumpth'in(no matta who's ideer it wuz) ta make it work betta fer ya, and ya don't..well, Who'z fault it dat?????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by T-REX View Post
    Well.......My luber iz like a good pot ov red beenz........It'z 4 or 5 yeerz ole, an git's better ever time I use it!!!........Theyz alwayz a rite way, and a wrong way, an my way iz never rite, but damm if it don't work!!!........

I thank when sumpth'in keeps improve'in meenz it wuz close ta bein wher it need'd ta start.,..I've leern'd a lot about Lubers, since tha original one dat I shared wit everbody on tha Hydrostreem board...I've also seen sum good ideers since then.......but, all said and dun, they do tha same thang....And tha people sell'in steer'in cables HATE YA!!!....lOl.....

If U kan improve sumpth'in(no matta who's ideer it wuz) ta make it work betta fer ya, and ya don't..well, Who'z fault it dat?????
    aint' no doubt rex, u iz the supreme being , father,and innovator of this fine idea to free them sticky cables .if i had owned a welder and possesed some weldin skills.,mine would look just like urine, but out off necessity, i looked at your drawin, and my Appalachian engineering skills took over. so i would like to thank you sir, for a fine idea that sure does make my boat drive nice

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well Thank ya, but all dat BS an a $1 mite git ya a cup ov coffee at makky Dee'z....

I wuz only try'in ta make a point dat when ya put out a ideer, no matta how simple it iz, Iz when tha reel smart people start use'in them brane cellz, an thangz start gitt'in refined!!!....

I figg'r fo it's over, sumbody will have thiers chromed........Now, I'm juss try'in to git sumbody else train'd to use it, so I don't git my hands dirty!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if bumping old threads are allowed but this one save me a ton of money and maybe it can help someone else too.
    My steering was just about locked up,It took two hands and grunt just to get to budge, Loading and unloading was a pain in the rear and with the instructions in the thread I now can one hand the wheel. I have a dual rack and it was going to cost me double to replace or upgrade.
    Thanks a million,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just did a boat for a friend using another hinge tube from a parts motor and a 1/2 in pipe coupling and Marvel Mystery oil... It cuts grease quickly and did both cables. Took about 2 hours but they work like new ones now... I have used trans fluid but it dont work as fats as MM oil... Just my .02..........

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
    it seems easiest to flush from the helm end to the motor end. This way all the crap that has entered the cable by the motor is flushed right back out the same end. No need to pass it thru the entire cable.. A piece of Tygon hose some fittings and a few hose clamps works just the same as this setup and you can make it in about 30 seconds.
    I would think Tygon would burst and give you a nasty mess. The thread is the same at both ends of the cable, so you can use it from either end and if you have a quick-connect cable, then you will need the adapter (which you will have to seal somehow) and on rack systems, you don't have much choice
    "One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors". Plato .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it worked on one side, but not yet on the other... it has been 24hours. still to hard to steer. no fluid has came out the other end yet. the nut is loose at the helm, 100 lbs of air. i have been moving the wheel back and fourth. when should i give up???

roy
    93 xr 2001 drag with a 15" drag
    92 xb 2002 comp with a 15" drag
    R.I.P. Phil "rpm racing" Watch over the rest of us my friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used marvel mystery oil and let it under pressure for a day. Put rags and stuff to catch whatever ends up coming out of the helm. I would think it should have came thru by now in 24 hours if you use Marvel... It is a great grease disolver!! You just need to dissolve that dried up grease... JMO......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks i will try it... i have a plastic garbage can lid to catch the lube. i have been using brake fluid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tried brake fluid before to dissolve dried grease?? Marvel did a good job for me on several boats before. You can get some at WalMart... And it's cheap enough.. If it doesn't work then a new system is about all you can do. I been putting off going to Sea Star Pro for a couple years tho. I get to lake test customer's boats here and I have fallen in love with it..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kroil

Kroil!!! Orange spray can!!! Copper Anti-Seize when putting back together will prevent that!! I use Texaco RB grease and it seems to work great!! If u pump grease till u see it coming out you have gone too far!!! A few pumps go a long way!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i put hyd in my last allison. it is nice, but always had a little slop. still no luck. going to try something a friend gave me.. if not i will b looking for some used cables.

roy

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast