Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you misunderstood me. I lubed my cable when it was new. I don't think they are lubed for life, or at all.

jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't read deep enough to see it was a rack system, my bad. The non rack systems worked good when we put the poop from the helm end. The rack systems were a little more stubborn as we had to flush the crap the whole length of the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by j_martin View Post
    In my experience, it's pretty hard to get a pressure seal on the rack end of a rack and pinion system.

John
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Merc made ride guide they only ever said to use gear oil to lube the cables.
    It was easy as you could just screw the gear oil tubes onto the portable grease gun.
    If you did this they would last forever.
    We also used to put the OMC seal nut on the tube to prevent any water from entering.
    The atf thing comes from the reason that atf will creep along metal so its good to fix a stuck cable with it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
    I didn't read deep enough to see it was a rack system, my bad. The non rack systems worked good when we put the poop from the helm end. The rack systems were a little more stubborn as we had to flush the crap the whole length of the cable.

I guess its hard to get a good enough seal around the rack to force that air mixer with cleaner down the cable...?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    It would be much easier and cleaner this way..As am also planning or removing the Eng to clean the tilt tube <o></o>
    <o></o>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The grease fitting on the tilt tube usually doesn't grease the cable. Excess grease in a cable will lock it up. I ran into trouble because there was a grease fitting on the front tube of a dual cable system, and I greased it.

The problem is dirt and crud that got in there from the engine end. It makes sense to disassemble that as much as you can and clean it manually. Then try to force a cleaner through the cable.

The standard out of the box fix for this problem is cable replacement.

I've given you all I got. Good luck
    John
    I really appreciated all the info ... It looks like am going to move the Eng to get a good clean access to steering cable and the tilt tube ..Then i will go from there ...I might end up lucky and clean just that end of it and the tilt tube re-lube and good to go ....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    BTW .Is there any sort of a fitting that i can install on that cable to oil /lube rather than force it ...just curious <o></o>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captcarb View Post
    I guess you misunderstood me. I lubed my cable when it was new. I don't think they are lubed for life, or at all.

jim
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra390t View Post
    I really appreciated all the info ... It looks like am going to move the Eng to get a good clean access to steering cable and the tilt tube ..Then i will go from there ...I might end up lucky and clean just that end of it and the tilt tube re-lube and good to go ....<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    BTW .Is there any sort of a fitting that i can install on that cable to oil /lube rather than force it ...just curious <o></o>
    The cables (at least teleflex) need a light oil along the cable. Grease will bind them up. The rod that rides in the tilt tube needs a light coat of marine grease. I guess oil would be fine.

You can get a nut with a fitting on it for the port end of the steering/tilt tube, along with a special lube that's supposed to be real good for the steering cable. I forget the trade name, but I mentioned it a couple of pages back. It's probably well worth it just for the additional seal at a point that is prone to water and debris contamination.

hope it helps
    John
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey cobra,
    I don't know where the control code artifacts are coming from, but they are annoying.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    J

I agree w you and i checked on that one but cant find the way to get them away from my post ..lets see if the Quick reply option fix it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only type of grease that will hold up is synthetic. Water and oxygen will quickly degrade petro based greases. That is why they turn into thick gunk which causes the cables to lock up. I have always used synthetic greases on my boats steering in salt water and have never had one lock up or stiffen.

If the inside of the motor's tilt tube is rusty and dirty, a 5/8 threaded rod does a quick job of cleaning it out.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra390t View Post
    J

I agree w you and i checked on that one but cant find the way to get them away from my post ..lets see if the Quick reply option fix it
    I'd be willing you have some special keyboard driver running, and you're accidentally hitting the Ctrl key instead of the shift key.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobra....
    Here's photo's of my setup.
    Referring to the 1st photo from the right .Is that a 7/8 or 3/4" . I guess you didn’t use the t set up that was refereed to by some other members

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here is the update ..After i pulled the OB out , Pulled cable and steering was stiff noticed plenty of old crusted grease on the inner tube, Break cleaner along with some starter fluid and Mix of Sea foam and worked steering from one end-end loosen the cable to turn with 1 finger after all that junk came out and injected synthetic oil in it..re-lubricated with 2-4-c thin coat applied a brand new o ring to the tilt tube fitting .Placed cable back and tested and it’s magic, However I didn’t need to flush the rest the cable with the home made luber as It didn’t need it .. Mounted the Eng back and sealed it and she is ready for the water ..Thanks to every one <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tilt tube is usually where the trouble is.

That flare fitting is 3/4 inch, which has a 7/8 inch thread that's the same as the cable end. If you drill one out so the steering rod will go through it, then cut back the flare with a step drill (or countersink) it makes a pretty nifty oil tight fitting for the end of the cable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
    my rideguide setup in my allison is what i would consider a rack system. i disassembled the racks under the console(steering wheel) and if i remember right.just removed the nut at the end of each toothy rack and slid it off ...leaving a rod (steering cable) sticking out of the grey plastic covered cable housing . i then put my hose over the rod and onto the cable housing and clamped the hose to the O.D of the cable housing using 2 hose clamps and had no problem sealing and forcing the cleaner and lubricant from the front of the boat, to the back. please see the illustration below on attached post 19 and 20 http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...steering+luber and you can see a picture of the simple luber i made
    just wanted to clarify this, if someone with a rack system thinks this style of luber will not work on a rack system. if it is like mine , it will work from either end. as discussed before it will work better pushing from front to back. hope this helps. i did mine about 3 yrs. ago and its still very smooth

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont know if this has been mentioned it is kinda of a no brainer but before welding the opening t on the ''luber'' twist it on and see where it gets tight and then mark and weld that way the opening faces up !!!
    LASER LTV - common sense is the key to success .....not many people succeed these days . ROBERT S. FEAGLE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast