Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An added note:
    The relatively new steering cables probably jammed up because I had not replaced the o-rings in the end of the tilt tube and front steering tube. That allowed any bird doo that landed on a steering rod to be pulled into the tube.

It's done now.

John
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of the silty back wash ends up getting into my cables and freezes when I put the boat away for the winter. Heck, I was thinking of putting Prestone in 'em!

Glenn
    '88 CE Hydrostream Vision
    1978 Mercury 1750

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Alot of the silty back wash ends up getting into my cables and freezes when I put the boat away for the winter. Heck, I was thinking of putting Prestone in 'em!

Glenn
    I've got one unthreaded steering tube. I intend to thread it, and then install the Davis lube nuts, mainly to get the secondary seal on em. I'm sure servicing the original o-rings will help. The steering rods, which are lubed with a light coating of 2-4-C, are greasy, but not visibly so. They used to look like heck.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did the 3rd cable the other day. This one was on a 22' pontoon boat. We were able to do it on the boat, in the water with one hose on each end of the cable. This one took less than 45 minutes (probably less time to clean than replace) to gain access, flush a couple times, lube, re attach both ends and clean up. Works just like a new one. 3 up 3 down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pic

Here's a lousy pic of my steering luber. I didn't intend for it to be that long but it just happend that that was the legnth of steal tube I had laying around. Actually worked out good 'cause you can work the cable back and forth it's entire range while still under pressure.

Glenn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SSPX0319.jpg  
    '88 CE Hydrostream Vision
    1978 Mercury 1750

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

Hello I’m new to this forum and need the expert help ….. I have the same stiff steering issue, I got a rack and pinion w a single cable, I'm kind of confused on the above mentioned method and could use your help please, Do i need to de-attach the steering cable from both end first by the eng & 2<SUP>nd</SUP> by the entering the rack @ the helm or only by the eng side , Or no at all and just remove the grease fitting ...? Please clarify .. I have Even 130HP outboard . <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o> </o>
    I removed pulled the steering cable sort half way where by the eng side and grease it which from reading this post it’s NONO , I still got stiff steering as I came across this thread … Thanks in advance <o></o>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobra....
    Here's photo's of my setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails assembly.jpg   Bushing.jpg   Flare.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_martin View Post
    Cobra....
    Here's photo's of my setup.
    awesome set up .but Does the steering cable suppose to slide inside this copper tubing ..?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra390t View Post
    awesome set up .but Does the steering cable suppose to slide inside this copper tubing ..?
    The steering rod goes inside the tube, and the cable nut goes onto the modified flare fitting.

It's well explained in post #24 of this thread.

When you get the cable out of the motor, clean it up as well as you can so you clean debris out of the cable assembly instead of forcing debris into it.

hope it helps
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems easiest to flush from the helm end to the motor end. This way all the crap that has entered the cable by the motor is flushed right back out the same end. No need to pass it thru the entire cable.. A piece of Tygon hose some fittings and a few hose clamps works just the same as this setup and you can make it in about 30 seconds.
    Bruster's Mercury solid motor mounts, details here:
    http://www.powercatboat.com/Bruster/Bruster.html
    I'm been living in fast forward, now I need to rewind real slow....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
    it seems easiest to flush from the helm end to the motor end. This way all the crap that has entered the cable by the motor is flushed right back out the same end. No need to pass it thru the entire cable.. A piece of Tygon hose some fittings and a few hose clamps works just the same as this setup and you can make it in about 30 seconds.
    So it's possible to do it from the helm side...I got a rack and pinion with single cable i see the end of the cable entering the rack with a lock nut ... This way simply I don’t have to move the steering cable from the steering tube ...correct..?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Now do I need to remove the grease nipples from the cable tube or just leave things the way it is and the sea foam will do it's magic ...???<o></o>

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
    In my experience, it's pretty hard to get a pressure seal on the rack end of a rack and pinion system.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cobra390t View Post
    So it's possible to do it from the helm side...I got a rack and pinion with single cable i see the end of the cable entering the rack with a lock nut ... This way simply I don’t have to move the steering cable from the steering tube ...correct..?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
    <o></o>
    Now do I need to remove the grease nipples from the cable tube or just leave things the way it is and the sea foam will do it's magic ...???<o></o>
    The grease fitting on the tilt tube usually doesn't grease the cable. Excess grease in a cable will lock it up. I ran into trouble because there was a grease fitting on the front tube of a dual cable system, and I greased it.

The problem is dirt and crud that got in there from the engine end. It makes sense to disassemble that as much as you can and clean it manually. Then try to force a cleaner through the cable.

The standard out of the box fix for this problem is cable replacement.

I've given you all I got. Good luck
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lubed my (new) cable 13 years ago and it is still free. I have the lube nuts installed. I put oil in the cable and just a little bit of grease to seal it. It has not been touched since.

The time to lube then is when they are new. The corrosion never gets started.

jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by captcarb View Post
    I lubed my (new) cable 13 years ago and it is still free. I have the lube nuts installed. I put oil in the cable and just a little bit of grease to seal it. It has not been touched since.

The time to lube then is when they are new. The corrosion never gets started.

jim
    **** happens.
    Grease fitting on a steering tube (should never be there)
    o-rings fail in the tilt tube or steering tube.
    Dirty install.

I agree. The new cables are oiled for life. If they need to be cleaned and re-oiled, something went wrong. At least we found out we can do it instead of coughing up hundreds for teleflex cables.

I plan to put on the lube guard nuts and call it good.

John

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast