Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy I think she's fried. Is it even worth a compression check?

I'm pretty sure some cylinders and pistons are scored...she can't even get onto plane anymore. Is it even worth a compression test? Won't cranking it with badly damaged pistons and cylinders score them even more?

The engine: 1985 Merc 150 V6 outboard s/n: 0A181487
    Its downfall: Lost oil injection on the lake, didn't have enough extra oil onboard for the right premix ratio (I dumped about 3/4 of a jug into 15 gallons of fuel when the oil injection warning came on).

How much do you guys figure a rebuild should cost?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The A Dog View Post
    I'm pretty sure some cylinders and pistons are scored...she can't even get onto plane anymore. Is it even worth a compression test? Won't cranking it with badly damaged pistons and cylinders score them even more?

The engine: 1985 Merc 150 V6 outboard s/n: 0A181487
    Its downfall: Lost oil injection on the lake, didn't have enough extra oil onboard for the right premix ratio (I dumped about 3/4 of a jug into 15 gallons of fuel when the oil injection warning came on).

How much do you guys figure a rebuild should cost?
    Did you pull the heads and have a look? I would just start there. You might be surpeised but if you ran out of oil you might be not sureprised.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't pulled the heads yet, I guess part of me is just scared to see how bad it is! I'll make that the first thing I do once we get a sunny day around here.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's dozens of other non-life-threatening motor conditions that could cause the power and planing issue.

The oil injection system is a joke. A bad module or sensor can sound the alarm even when the injection still works.

3/4 of a jug? What kind of jug are we talking here?

Slow down before you have a heart attack. Do a compression test, and pull the heads if things don't look right...
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you dumped 3/4 of a gallon of oil into 15 gallons of gas, that's about 20:1 in the tank. Then if the alarm failed and the oiler was still working, you'd be lucky if it fired, but you probably wouldn't hurt it.

Slow down and figure it out systematically.

hope it helps
    John
    To fish or not to fish? What a STUPID question.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j_martin View Post
    Slow down and figure it out systematically.

hope it helps
    John

I assume it would get up on plane and run fine before the alarm went off and the suspected damage was done. Pyro and Martin have given you some good advice. Follow their lead. IMO In lieu of compression if you can, do a leak down, if you're at 8%> or better pop the heads.

Good Luck!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bout just pull some of the plugs and ck for alum deposits and get a flashlight and look in the plug hole.... Dont get any more simple than this.....
    TURN THE FLYWHEEL BY HAND AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS... FEEL FOR SMOOTH NICE EASY ROTATION OR ....ROUGH HARD GRINDING... NO NEED TO CRANK WITH STARTER AND DO MORE DAMAGE ... IF YOU FEEL SOMETHIN NASTY OR SEE ALUM ON THE PLUGS THEN PULL THE HEADS AND GO FROM THERE.
    Last edited by RIVERRUMMER 70; 05-10-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: ADD INFO

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So upon further inspection I found the short bit of tubing from the oil injection pump to the fuel pump cracked open, explaining my loss of oil pressure. So I guess the oil alarm was justified, thanks to the cheapest possible part in the system. I took it off and it was so brittle that part of the end flaked off...I guess it was overdue for replacement; idk if the previous owner used proper spec tubing or not, but the engine is in perfectly clean shape and I couldn't tell by looking at it that this tubing was all brittle and about to fail. Oh and yes, it was 3/4 of a gallon into 15 gallons of gas. She was able to get on plane before the alarm but not after. Thanks for all the advice and help, I'll try and tackle it step by step, doing the simple checks first.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few pictures of what I'm talking about...camera phone quality The second one is a closeup of the disconnected tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo_050809_001.jpg   Photo_050809_002.jpg  
    Last edited by The A Dog; 05-11-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Fixed the pictures

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Dog .when you get it all straightend out do your self a favor lose the oil injection pump ..Put a block off plate on her and PREMIX your fuel.You be happier aswell as your motor! and you will never ever worry about it again..
    This was not one of mercurys best idea`s.
    I have been thru a few power heads because of oil injection failures even on brand spankin new motors. so it didnt take to long to figure this out the hard way..Good luck it may not be as bad as it seems........

A.T. Godfrey
    Tuckerton
    N.J. USA
    2005 280 Ros 15"
    HydroStream/Ventura 16`
    Mercury 2.4 litre

31`11" CC Scorpion pair 200hp Mercs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Juss pop tha heds and see wher ya at....That lil 2liter iz tuff'r than nails...It may look like a lost cause, but till ya git sum muratik acid and cleen tha cyls, don't count it az lost!!!.....I have had many 2liters here that were written off, dropp'd off at tha shop for junk...I have cleend them up, put anuther piston or 2 in them, and they are out doin tha same job they were when they wuz new!!!....A lot ov guyz thank a mota haz gotta be purfekt, or it's a lost cause...Not so...A race mota iz a differnt ballgame from a fish'in/ski/runabout mota...It all boils down to how bad ya wanna ride, and most ov all tha thickness ov ya wallet...I personally don't see how ANYBODY can afford to run a OB if they don't do all thier own work!!!....

Is it even worth a compression test?
    That statement alone paints tha hole picture....Git out ya wallet!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There isn't an "oil pressure" sensor. The alarm system can't detect a cracked line, it can only detect a lack of pump rotation, or a low oil reservoir.
    This problem may have been going on for some time. I found this same line cracked on a Merc 150 I had a few years back.
    Chances are, the nylon oil pump drive gear on the crankshaft stripped off the threads/teeth, and that's why the alarm sounded.

It was a good idea to add oil, but you added too much. The motor was likely unable to get on plane with such a choking rich fuel/oil mix.
    It might run on 20:1, but it will likely smoke like hell, foul plugs, and won't make any power.

As long as the oil line hasn't been cracked for a while, your motor might be perfectly fine, other than needing the injection system removed and switched over to 50:1 premix.

Like John said, your gas tank is now likely filled with almost 16 gallons of 20:1 mix.
    If you pump out about half of your tank, and replace the same amount with raw fuel, you should get a mix in the 40:1 to 45:1 range, which is OK.

By the way, nobody can read this thread now without a scroll bar. This is due to the two large side-by-side photos of your oil pump above.
    If you click EDIT below that post, put a space between the two sets of IMG code, and ave it. This will fix the whole page so others can read it and reply.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More than likely when the top reservoir went low it set off the lube-alert and everything is ok. There was a service bulliten about this same tubing. I've changed it on several motors.

Shooter1

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears (hard to tell with the image quality) that the engine mounted oil tank is half full. That would set off the alarm. It should be plumb full.

The line between that T and the fuel pump is fuel/oil mixed. If it's cracked, and sucking air, the engine won't go for hoot.

I bought a doggy 1988 XR4, and a maintainance manual. Now that I've caught up on preventative maintainance and repaired all the mistakes of the "Mercury" mechanic that worked on it previosly. That engine now needs a 2 inch steeper prop than it had, and is freakin' screamin'.

I lucked out and found this board full of helpful, knowledgable moterheads, and figure I tapped into a coupla thousand years of experience. Now I add 1 or 2 of my own.

These guys can be rough on ya, for your own good. I'm having trouble figuring out how you're gettin' off so easy this far.

Don't bother whining. That's for Iboats.

Oh, and fix the pictures. This is too much like work.

hope it helps
    John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot. Rubber parts of that vintage can't take ethanol for long. I'd go through all the fuel and bleed lines. Put in carb and fuel pump kits, and then burn only non-oxygenated gas they sell for classic cars and boats.

Also, 20:1 can burn down your engine if you get it to run. It'll lean out because the rich mix is too thick for the passages.

again
    John

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast