Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yamaha 200 V4 4 stroke,anyone see it yet?

hey guys, heard from a reliable source that Yammie is bringing out a lightweight 200hp, V4 4 stroker.......Now I wounder if this is the small block basis to take over for mid range power? wonder why the V4 platform, dont get me wrong I love V4s just wondering....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like BS to me, does not keep in line with the motor Yam makes.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It does keep in line with there line, The F150 is lighter than a 2 stroke, and out performs the 2 strokes. I have put many of them on a boat replacing a 2 stroke to where the boat goes faster and does every thing better. This makes me think that it was under rated by about 25hp, so whats to say that they decided to tweek it out a little. Sounds perfectly in line to me, and it got to be better than the 600lb old F200.
    11-20 -08 1980 14' Allison
    2018 Carbon Fiber 15' Allison
    homemade 15" 90 Yamaha
    nice and quick 7900 rpm
    Happiest driver on the board. Chris Carlson reeds are the way to go. CCM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQyBn...er_profilepage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the 4 stroke Yamaha 150 is so much stronger than a 2 stroke 150, how did BRP do that video where they sink the Yamaha powered boat?

Maybe I'll did up BWB issues to see if the Yamaha 150 is unusually fast on top end. Low and and mid range, I'll take a 2 stroke, thanks.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If the 4 stroke Yamaha 150 is so much stronger than a 2 stroke 150, how did BRP do that video where they sink the Yamaha powered boat?
    You're kidding right??? BRP's special marketing skills are legendary...and it started LONG before they bought an outboard company!!

Now, the F150 is just a 150....but it is 6lbs lighter then the HPDI 150. We had one on a Lund Fisherman and one on a G3 1800 and both boats ran 61-62mph. It would also put a boatload of people on plane like nothing but we didn't have a 2-stroke on either boat so I don't know how it would have compared. I would really doubt a 2-stroke would have performed any better...and if it did it wouldn't be noticable.

Yamaha does have some performance oriented "bass" motors coming. I had a long conversation with our race guy there but he wouldn't spill (or know) the details.
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 2 stroke outboards have much better bottom end torque then 4 stroke outboards. Certainly this was the case in recent BWB 50 HP shoot out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a recent brochure, Evinrude published the hp graph of both the F150 and the 150 E-TEC. You can easily see why the E-TEC pulled the F150 backwards in the video as the E-TEC has a much greater power band in the mid-range than the Yamaha.

This is not saying that the F150 is a bad motor, but it's design has less "low end grunt" compared to the 2-stroke E-TEC. At top speed both motors are very close as both develop around 160hp according to the graph.

Last edited by seahorse; 04-19-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to see some REAL dyno curves on these motors. Area under the curve is what counts and I do think the 2stroke (especially V6 vs I4) has more of it. The question is how much more and does it make any real difference other then cool marketing films.

If we're going drag racing then the small differences are BIG...but to the average guy it's hard to say. I'm a fan of the Etec...just not how it's marketed as the end all and be all. DFI 2 strokes are at the top of the 2 stroke development (we just need powervalves to complete the evolution...which I think BRP has on the V4's now??). Current outboard 4stroke is at the beginning (my sled/pwc motor is a 1litre and makes 160hp).
    '08 SRV
    Yamaha 3.1 Phase III

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    because that was a worthless infommercial and rigged in brp's favor. Do a serach on here, there was some in depth reasons and observations as to why that tug of war was worthless and easily seen through by all but Noob boaters with no clue.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    if they are makin that kinda power out of a v4 why wouldnt they be able to make 400 out of the v8
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it was an infomercial designed to favor the BRP product, but that doesn't mean there is not truth at the core of it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am speaking of my own personal experiance. The mag write ups are always crap, like school kids boasting about their favorite, jack this one up, put the others down, human nature. I am the worlds biggest skeptic. I replaced 17, 2 strokes All brands, government motors. All 150s, and replaced all with F150s. EVERY ONE OF THEM PLANED FASTER AND RAN FASTER. This was reported to me by each of the drivers and I noticed it also during the initial testing before we let each one of them leave. But I waited to hear it from someone else. I will not argue about it, I really don't care what others think, A question was asked, I answered it with my "Opinion" which may or may not be the way everyone else sees it.

They can make a 400hp V8. The catcher is that it has to be able to hold up for 2000hrs of service, on the cheapest gas availiable, and by the biggest dumbass with the money to buy it, and never spend a dime on maintenance on it. Thats why we have to wait for it.
    11-20 -08 1980 14' Allison
    2018 Carbon Fiber 15' Allison
    homemade 15" 90 Yamaha
    nice and quick 7900 rpm
    Happiest driver on the board. Chris Carlson reeds are the way to go. CCM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQyBn...er_profilepage