Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Little Buddy Passed On

I lost one of my Black Labs Monday morning. 8 years old in perfect health. As with anyone else who has ever posted the loss of one of their pets on the board here, he was one of those special ones. There was never a night that I could not lay my hand on him when reaching off the side of my bed towards the floor. Never a morning that I was not awakened to the alarm clock and his insistent panting, wagging a tail enough to take down a bedside table, banging his tail against the wall….. anxiously awaiting to be petted and loved on,,,, Of the three Black Labs I have, ( the father,12yo, and two brothers, Jack was a brother/son) Jack was constantly in my shadow.

I fed the three Sunday night at 6pm sharp as always,, let them out to do their business before bedding down all was fine it seemed. 5:30am Monday am, I found Jack to be lethargic and did not get up. His stomach was swollen. His breaths were very short and light. It was very painful for him to breathe each breath. I carried him downstairs and got on the phone to the emergency Vet hotline, who directed me to take him straight to LSU small animal hospital. I drove the 40 miles, arrived at their door met by the Vet aides, who took him straight in, where Jack died of heart failure 10 minutes after I got him there.
    This was all due to his intestines flipping over, cutting off circulation of blood, building of gases and intestinal fluids. His lungs got compressed by the swelling then did not allow his heart to function properly. He died a terrible death.

I would have never thought that one of my dogs would pass in this manner. I have been mentally preparing myself for the inevitable old age issues for my oldest lab, Beaux, and then the same for Buster and Jack in later years. This has torn me up more than I imagined it would. The helplessness a man can feel in such a situation is completely unbearable. Your pet always looks to you for protection, love and a little affection ever once in a while. His last look in my eyes will never be forgotten.

Please know what to look for, even though I did not have time to save my dog. If yours should become lethargic, humped up back with head down, swelling in their abdomen, and inability to walk,,, have a Vet hospital phone number handy, one that can perform surgery in a moments notice, because that may be all you have.
    Russ Benton
    Allison XB-2003 w/JSRE Pro Max
    Allison XR-2001 w/260 +

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear that, bud. It sucks to lose one of your buddies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From one dog lover to another, sorry to hear of your loss, my friends doberman went that same way.

is gone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so awfully sad.My Lab is 12 years old .He`s not going to be much longer.He,too,sleeps with-in reach.Today he was alone with my wife, I slipped in the back-door with strange clothes on.He would not let me in.He tryed every way under the sun to get hold of me.I had to go round to another door.The poor things teeth are worn plumb off.They`re same as children.So sorry to hear of yours.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sorry to hear that. Years ago I had a dalmation that acted the same way. I ended up taking him to an emergency vet and found out he had kidney stones that totally blocked him up and stretched out his bladder. They immediately put in a catheter to releave the pressure but they could not keep him from blocking up. The vet told me our options which were not cheap but there was no way I could put a dollar amount on my best fried so they had to create a new hole for him to pee through to bypass the original plumbing. $2000.00 later with a change of diet he was back to normal other than having a sex change but it was great to see him acting like the dog he used to be. Unfortunately a few years later he wondered onto the road and was hit by a car which did not have the guts to stop. Burying him was the toughest thing I ever had to do.

Ralph Musser
    27' Fountain Fever W/ 525SC
    22' Rapid Craft W/ Evinrude 300 V8 January 2009 BOAT OF THE MONTH SOLD
    24' Triton 240 Gold W/ Mercury 60
    14' Royalcraft W/ Evinrude 75 father/daughter project

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats some sad news man....Dogs are greatI have 5 now...They all sleep in the house...I dont know why I keep doing it cause it sure is tuff when one passes....Makes a grown man Cry!!!!So Sad when the time comes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear, I just lost my 7 year old Lab in Jan, He was in great shape, But passed away due to a fungal infection , Before we figured out what was wrong with him it was too late. I miss him alot
    Last edited by Maple Leaf; 03-31-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    "Brandon Field"

Formerly Fieldzy

Silly Rabbit, OMC's are for Kids

1982 Hydrostream Vandal, Currently under Resto

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for your loss.
    Dogs are special!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Our dogs are such good friends to us and yes special.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    so sorry,the pain is always more then you think it will be,i know sorry man
    TRANSPORT SERVICE...UP TO 36 FEET....YOUR TRAILER OR MINE... FULLY INSURED...............
    DOT & CDL COMPLIANT $500,000.00 CARGO & 1 MILLION LIABILITY.

LIVE LIFE ON THE EDGE, LESS CROWED BETTER VIEW
    ...............2022 3500 HD SILVERADO DUALLY 6.6 TURBO. 8 FT BED...LETS PULL IT.................

http://www.frankmoletransport.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so sorry for your loss.I know nothing anybody says will heal the pain but trust me when I say this.Time will.Its a matter of time and the pain will be lifted.I too lost my best freind several years ago and the Rainbow bridge hurt but gives you hope.Hope this helps you.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot Merc View Post
    I am so sorry for your loss.I know nothing anybody says will heal the pain but trust me when I say this.Time will.Its a matter of time and the pain will be lifted.I too lost my best freind several years ago and the Rainbow bridge hurt but gives you hope.Hope this helps you.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

OH...SO TRUE!!! So sorry to hear of your loss, our pets become part of our family.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Really sorry to hear about your loss. To me is just like losing a family member. Very painful even when you're prepared and expect it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Russ, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. My wife and I have 3 mutts and it is truly amazing how closely attached you become to them. We have lost several dogs over the years and it is ALWAYS tough. Hang in there, I"ll be thinking about you.

Bob

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damm, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure he had a great life and we all will meet up again one day.
    INXS

88 Checkmate/Starflite/225 Johnson
    Member, The Paul Revere Society
    Always Live Life In Excess

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast