Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Guy w/ a '74 Cobra Jet

Hi, my name's Bradley. I'm kinda new to the boating world, so I'm still learning. I'm about to start restoration on a '74 Cobra Jet (I think). Maybe someone can correct me if that's not what it is. I got it from a friend of my dad's for free a few years ago and it actually used to be my dad's ski boat back in the '80s. It was originally powered by a Olds 455, but it froze and busted, so my dad installed a Hardin Marine 454 (I still have all the Hardin parts). I've been having some trouble figuring out exactly what it is, but it looks exactly like a Cobra Jet. It has "Classic" script emblems on each side of the rear and on the tag it says MFG - Ski Boats Inc., so I don't really know for sure. Please ignore the state it's currently in, that'll be fixed soon. And maybe someone can recommend a upgrade for the Panther Jet too.
    Enjoy!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also looks like a sidewinder

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RLP View Post
    also looks like a sidewinder
    Yeah, I know. Does anyone know how to tell them apart?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RustBoxBrad View Post
    look on back and see what hull id # is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a copy (almost exact copy) of a 1972 Sidewinder that was my first jet boat. The difference is the 3 little vertical "scallops" just to the rear of the windshield mount on each side. Los Altos Marine Inc. Registered the name Sidewinder as a Trademark in 1969. The hull was copied ( some complete, some partial) by many companies. You can find many boats with different names that look a little or a lot like your boat. I only know of a 16' and an 18' model. Mine was 18'. The hull id info was stamped on the aluminum rear rub rail on the right side.

At least some of those who copied the Sidewinder were sued and lost. I think it was copied so often because it is a good design. It's a very smooth riding boat that handles rough water very well. This was mine.....

Mine was powered by a 455 Olds. After a lot of time and $$$$, the Olds Dyno'd at 470 hp. I would not recommend any more than 500hp for that hull. The pic above shows me and my Grandson returning from a pass at WOT. I think he's not a boat person.

I liked everything about my Sidewinder except the seating arrangement. The 2 small seats along side the engine cover are a joke. 2 adults sitting there could provide enough weight to swamp the boat if you ever stopped too quick. If I had it to do again, I would remove the little seats in the rear and make a rear bench seat. I would make new front bucket seats and a one piece padded engine cover. I saw one like that, and it looked much more comfortable than mine.

I don't recommend Olds engines. It cost way too much to get much power out of them.

I hope yours is in better condition than mine. I had to replace the floor and the transom, and repair a three foot long crack in the bottom.
    I don't recommend Olds engines. It cost way too much to get much power out of them.

I hope yours is in better condition than mine. I had to replace the floor and the transom, and repair a three foot long crack in the bottom. It was a lot of work, but I enjoyed that boat more than any
    other I've owned. It's a good hull design no matter what name they put on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy Moly, looks like you got some work ahead of you but it will be well worth it. I have three years in mine and still changing things.
    If you have to change out the pump I would go with an American Turbine or Dominator.
    Give these guys a look, http://www.americanturbine.com/
    Ron and the guys out there have been alot of help. I found a used AT SD-312 used on the internet and had them build me a hi-performance intake & shoe for it.
    Good luck and post some progress pix.
    John H.

John Hice Owner, Gulf Coast Marine Service, Inc.
    Panama City Beach, Fl. 850-258-4423

Photo History of project "Drag"N"Fever" At This Link.
    http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=167460
    Ultimate Turbine Warlock, "Johnny Rocket Special"
    https://www.screamandfly.com/showthr...arlock-Project
    Festivals Of Speed Video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVatsUmjUrs

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boat's really not as bad as it looks. It looks 100% better since I've pulled it from the weeds. The only area (besides the engine cover) thats in need of repair is where the transom is seperating at the rail, everything else seems to be fine. I pulled all of the interior out a few years ago, so I could make copies of everything. Really the only thing that's lacking right now is the engine and pump. I have a fresh 454 marine block and crank, L88 aluminum heads, aluminum intake that came on the Hardin motor, and all of the marine parts... Hardin headers, water pump plates, bellhousing, etc. I'll get some new pics soon. Oh, I found the hull ID number etched into the plate underneath the throttle.
    Last edited by RustBoxBrad; 01-19-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just talked to Ron with American Turbine to order some parts and I mentioned your panther drive to to him. He said they have kits for that drive if you run under 70 mph.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAG'N FEVER View Post
    Just talked to Ron with American Turbine to order some parts and I mentioned your panther drive to to him. He said they have kits for that drive if you run under 70 mph.
    Thanks man! I actually called and talked to someone as well. He said with their Panther kit and a decent BBC I should be able to run roughly 65 mph. I'd like to get it to run 70-75, but I don't know what it'll take... the engine should be right around the 500hp mark. Maybe a trim?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With that style boat and depending on how heavy your boat is 500 will get you a true 65 - 68 mph with most stock pumps with a AA or equivalent impeller. To go faster you will need some good pump work and a little more HP to twist the pump up to 6000 rpm's.
    Jet-ovator trim helps some but mostly puts on a good show.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man! I actually called and talked to someone as well. He said with their Panther kit and a decent BBC I should be able to run roughly 65 mph. I'd like to get it to run 70-75, but I don't know what it'll take... the engine should be right around the 500hp mark. Maybe a trim?

My Sidewinder had a Berkley JG pump with an Aggressor AA impeller. A Place Diverter got me at least 5 mph more out of it. A Droop Snoot slowed it down. I did not have a shoe or ride plate on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out this site for all things Sidewinder, and their clones
    http://sidewinder-boats.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the link. I did find some info on the boat though. Its a 1974 model that was built by Skallerud Marine. Anybody know any history on them?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bradley,

I have a 1975 Cobra Jet Mfg by Ski Boats Inc out of Milwauakee WI. It is a 16 foot with 350 chevy and a Merc I/0. I believe Ski Boats Inc purchased molds from Sidewinder. As you read above there are many different boats that look similar. My boat originally came with a 140 hp inline 4 cylinder with back to back seating and seats on each side of the dog house. I purchased it with the 350 in it. I have the boat back to near mint condition. Currently have two buckets and a rear bench for seating. It runs 60 to 65 mph. It is the same color as your boat and looks very similar. I will try to get some pics up. I know the name CobraJet was owned by many different companies in the 70's. They whole story was a little mystery to me as well.

Good Luck. Your going to need it. I've been there!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast