Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VIN Number

Since the title I have is for the Vamp, and I got the Vector in pieces with no title, I am thinking I'll go for a new Homemade boat title and stamp my own Vin# in the transom. Either that or I'll cut the Vamp Vin off the old boat and use it.

I won't run the boat until I get my new bottom in it. I'll start the bottom plug on the concrete and build the pad and center of the bottom out 25" wide. The plug frame will be 48" wide and 12' long. After the center is done, I'll screw the plug in the boat so the pad is the right height and angle to the finished hull. Then I'll finish building the plug sides (out to the 42" wide fared Vamp bottom edges).

Finishing the Plug in the boat, I can see the lines and get it just like I want it. Once the Plug is right, I'll take it out of the hull and build the mold on it. When the mold is done, I'll spray Gel Coat, build me a new bottom, pop it and glass it in.

To make the plug: I'll build a plywood grid 2' tall x 48" wide by 12' long. It will have strategically placed bulkheads roughly 2' apart. The keel board down the center will be marked with the pad profile, then I'll cut slots in the grid so my pad sides (cut extra wide from masonite) will set in position using the grid as a jig. Once I get the pad sides the shape I want them in the jig, I'll glue nailers to the grid to hold it in place and work the edges of the masonite close to the profile I want. When I get close, I'll glue wood strips down the pad edges, sand them to exactly what I want and deck the pad by gluing masonite to the frame (shinny side up) At that point I'll have the pad bottom and sides made with no nail holes to fill and very little sanding to finish the plug. I'll bondo or use faring puddy to clean the edges up later. Once I get the center of the plug solid (25" wide or so) I'll place it in the boat to finish the rest of the bottom.

When the plug is finished it will be all white masonite that has been glued together with liquid nail to wood strips at every joint. With no nail heads to sink and puddy or wood to fair, the plug will be very easy to prep for the mold and very strong. Glued to bulkheads every 2' I expect the plug to be very rigid.

I have a ways to go before I crank the motor for the first time, but that's OK, it'll be all my work.
    Mirage Mod VP 260 SS
    Homebuilt 11' runabout + 2 cyl OMC = 83 MPH
    13' Tunnel "Rubber Duckie" + SST60 = ??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great!
    i know this sounds really stupid but where is the actual core in a hydrostream. is it in between the stringers??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

core

The core is layed down on the inside of the very bottom of the boat flat, then glassed over to form a "board" effect. The core is usually 1/2 to 1" thick with the bottom on one side of it and a layer of glass on top of it.
    Mirage Mod VP 260 SS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and the original hydrostreams are usual balsa right?
    ive been looking for a hydrostream that needs restoration and ive been reading ALOT on them and everythings always about the core.
    can you buy a core pre-cut or you have to start from scratch??
    thank you very much i really appreciate it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydrostream core

If the core hasn't been changed on a 70's or 80's Hydrostream, count on doing it if you buy one that hasn't been refurbished. The great thing is, with the old Streams, you can get a cool boat for not much money. If you don't mind changing the core you will have a very fun boat with very little cash and a lot of work. But then.. it's Yours!

They all have end cut balsa in them. It works really well for several yeas, then it picks up water and rots. You can buy new end cut balsa in sheets, but most people put something else in it. A composite is probably best and it's sold in sheets as well.

What you do is take the floor out, then rip out the core down to the fiberglass bottom. Then grind it all smooth and cut a new core from the 4x8 sheets and glass it in. There are no intricate cuts or anything.. it' just a fairly wide area to lay down some fresh core and glass over it.

To check if a core is bad, take a hammer and tap around on the bottom under the boat, if it rings, it's solid.. if it thuds... the core is bad. The difference in the sound is very evident. You will find good areas, listen to the ring.. then check the rest of the bottom and don't say... well, it's only in a couple places and kid yourself. If it's bad anywhere, it needs to be changed..
    Last edited by Pad driver; 02-18-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    Mirage Mod VP 260 SS

6. Likes Timothy Hoffman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually even on areas that ring it still may be bad, and waterlogged, justhasnt gone soft yet.... the factory chopper gun process of assembly allowed air pockets above the core which allowed water to seep in as well as natural breakdown of the hull glass... through osmosis will rott the boats... if you have stress cracks in the transom corners and they get longer you can bet its wet throughout.

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks alot guys! 3 years ago when i was 13 i found a vking sitting in someones yard so i left a note asking if he wanted to sell it. he said he didnt because he was going to get it going again. I went by it again today and its still just sitting there so i left another note. hopefully this time he'll give in and want to get rid of it. Ive always loved hysrostreams since i was a little kid i really hope he'll sell it to me. Thanks again!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VKing

Has it got an interior at all, or is it gutted and ready to recore? Even if it had a nice interior it wouldn't be worth much after sitting outside for 3 years, the price oughta be under 1000 easy, that's if it's on a trailer you can use. If it's just a hull, and if you don't have to sand and paint it cuz the finish is workable, maybe 700. Lots of 'Streams are come haul em off, because like the one you spotted, they never get around to working on it. I love that about my favorite boat!.. Cheap and the coolest lookin' boat on the planet...lol
    Mirage Mod VP 260 SS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah it has an interior. It has a nice cover on it but the boat has been sitting for probably at least 10 or so years. My dad worked on the house about 10 years ago and it hasnt moved since haha. It has a trailor but it all rotted out and definitely not usable. Surprisingly the boat still has a nice shine to it. I'd really love to bring this boat back to life it has so much potential if the guy would only sell it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vking

Good luck then, I remember my first boat, it was a 14' wood boat with an 18 Johnson with a bent crankshaft. I had a ball in that thing tho... Not quite a Hydrostream VKing.... I hope you get it.
    Mirage Mod VP 260 SS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the glass work photos look professional, at least you know you could get a job in the fiberglass biz if you lose your current one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RobF... Were you refering to my V-King photos or padrivers photos of his vamp/vector marrage thingie...?

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your photos, very neat and professional looking- are you in the biz?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Used to build and repair all kinds of boats and other stuff... Got into fishing guide business about 15 yrs. ago. Really just work on friends boats and tinker around with my own projects. I really enjoy making something better than it was originally built or designed. The fishing thing is really a low stress way to make a living as im trying to be semi retired...

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that upside down shot of the boat is polished gelcoat? that looks great,job well done. Not many people would have the patience to polish gelcoat out like that.

now if it would only STAY that nice!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast