Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BRP DFI outboards (fichts)

I would like to hear some opinions of the BRP built DFI (ficht) motors. I heard they are better on fuel and more powerful then the Etecs and very reliable motors. I was curious what are the common parts to go on these outboards and how long will BRP continue to support them? I heard the Emm's were still a problem on them, any truth to that?
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 225 Ficht Ram (the predecessor to the 225HO), is the fastest of the 225DI BRP motors. On Stratos hulls, it was generally 1.5-2mph faster than a 225HO Etec. EMM issues now are few and far between on that engine and no more a problem than any other engine. The early EMM's were junk, and you'd get the "handfull of 8's" codes that basically meant "throw EMM in the trash"...

As far as parts availability, they have to support the product for 10yrs from last date of production. Not sure what is common, I think the blocks are "similar", with the 08 and up Etecs featuring additional oil points. Other than the injectors being different, I'm not sure....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so sure about more powerful. Ficht's rev limiter is set higher which means in certain configurations (eg with a short prop) they are faster. The E-TEC starts giving itself extra fuel and oil a fair bit earlier which slows them up in very high RPM applications.

As far as using less fuel, maybe as Ficht are not 3 star but I am not so sure about that either.

The good ficht engines are economical and powerful. The E-TEC engines have many other advantages also but that is not to put down the good fichts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nnt..............

are u leaving the dark side???????????LOL ive got 2 250 late BRP motors that perform flawlessly, alot of the earlier issues are gone with those,for the price and fuel economy over a std injected motor, i dont think u can go wrong............

WET PICKLE RACING

The "UNracerxOFFICIAL"
    Home of the fastest Emission Outboard
    Motors on the planet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The BRP built fichts have been good engines. The e-tec is in my opinion better. The rpm band is a little higher (ficht) which in some cases helps but set up correct the e-tec is as fast but quicker. The different lower units can make for some performance gains/losses depending on boat and set up. Blocks are different. Fuel economy e-tec is better until you get to the rpm it starts to add fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm already half there dude

I already own 2 OMC's as it is, thats one reason I'd like to get one of these DFI motors. Am I correct in my thinking that all my system check guages and controls should work on one of these motors? I like the Opti's the best, but then i would have to totally re-rig, not too mention twice the money. I will however never get a Etec, I just couldn't handle the punishment you guys would dish out on me
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew it...............

there was something in that closet, its not so bad admittin u have one of the others after all, have y'all a good holidays

WET PICKLE RACING

The "UNracerxOFFICIAL"
    Home of the fastest Emission Outboard
    Motors on the planet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the fichts are 3 star, got 225/25" twins, may sell if offered a fair price, but wont split.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NNT View Post
    I already own 2 OMC's as it is, thats one reason I'd like to get one of these DFI motors. Am I correct in my thinking that all my system check guages and controls should work on one of these motors? I like the Opti's the best, but then i would have to totally re-rig, not too mention twice the money. I will however never get a Etec, I just couldn't handle the punishment you guys would dish out on me
    Your sort off correct about the E-tec being a bit slower then the Ficht... The one thing that hurts the E-tecs performance it the oversize gear casing and the drag it causes. The 3.3 & 3.4lt E-tec are using the V8 gear case, where the Ficht used the V6 gear case. I went from a consistent 56mph with a 57mph best ever in my fishing boat with 250 Ficht down to 55mph with a 56mph best with the 250 E-tec.. Fuel economy is better with the E-tec... I have had to adjust the setup to get back what I lost, and in the last 2 weeks (thats how long I have been playing with the set up) I have regained that 57mph.. The BRP gear cases are a little differant altho bigger, they can run higher.. I lifted my motor 1.5", and I am now just kissing the rev limiter with a 21" Viper prop.. I am thinking about 23" raker, Ranagade Bass, Viper, Trophy Plus, or the Tempest... I'm trying them all out next year...
    I hoping to crack the 60mph in my boat, and I know the Ficht would never been able to do that, well not with it's stock gear case anyway

I also recon the 250HO would look the goods on your boat... Don't worry we wont tease you if you go the E-tec... Many Merc men in Aust have done the switch and haven't looked back.....
    Last edited by Jabba; 12-24-2008 at 03:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This motor would just be for my 1978 21 Whaler, mostly a fishing boat but it would be nice to extend the range of it's 40 gallon belly tank with a DFI motor. It would probably still be able to run low 60's with a modern 250 on the back, fast enough for what I want. None of the new motors really go with the lines of the older boats, but the DFI's look better then the Etecs IMO. Thanks for the feedback, sounds like a BRP built DFI is a reliable option.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nnt

NNT buddy are you alright??? Did you read something that is making you sway to the "BLUE SIDE"? The Di's are like everyone has mentioned killer motors.....Hopefully you can test one down there....the sound is incredible, much throatier than the Etecs, why would you not buy the Etec? We wont make fun of you, we would just be happy that you choose to "look" at BRP's offerings......If I were you Id IM Etec1 and have him hook you up with some ideas.....Hey I just got some 100th anniversry shirts dropped off by UPS, so BRP didnt drop off my 115HO Etec,but I have some shirts that cannot be bought.......Brett I will let you borrow one if you meet up with me in Milwaukee.....But you'll smell like a "pimp", so not sure if you'll like that.....Brett call me when you see this I wanna discuss the show....Merry Xmas all, I was stuck in the Northwoods with no internet......I know you all missed me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have OMC system check controls, rigging, guages and a elec start/remote control kicker motor to match. Thats the main reason I want to stick with a OMC or BRP ficht, that and to stretch my 40 gallon belly tanks range with a DFI motor. If I had a unlimited toy fund bank account I would go for a 250-300xs with a 8hp 4 stroke Merc kicker, but got too many toys to spread that fund over.
    I'm currently boatless

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no dude that kicks ass, even though we differ on USA im with ya......theirs a used 225ho Etec though at a buddys shop....not my motor and in no way am i wanting to sell you a motor......I need to post that because ive been told that im "soliciting" customers which is not true......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also considering a FICHT engine. I just simply cannot afford an ETEC, or else I would already have one. My current 3.0L carbed motor runs like a scalded dog all day long cruising, but below 1500 RPM's she's a smoking pig. I would also like to extend my range out some more as well. My 20 footer has an 84 gallon tank, but I have ALOT of fishing spots that are out of my range currently.

Which FICHT's or DFI's should be avoided? I know the pre 2000 150/175's had ALOT of problems(know somebody with a 98 150 that only has 46 hours on it, 25 of which has been at idle because that is all it will do), are there any fixes for them? What about the 200/225's? Any major issues to look for? I've heard the 03+ BRP motors are the better ones, any truth to this?
    1989 20' HYDRA SPORTS 2000CC, 225HP EVINRUDE 88 powerhead 98 mid, TDR reeds and a basic clean up porting on it
    Runs 49 MPH not bad for a heavy deep vee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To stay on the side off reliability, I would only buy a BRP DI Ficht...
    Yes the 03 models are much better as a BRP tightened the spec tolerance all parts that went into there outboards...

You should like the Ficht for trolling, I use to troll mine for hours on end... I must say tho, the E-tec is much better again, I went out yesterday to raise a Marlin and trolled for 5hrs straight at 1700rpm wth a 250hp.. No smoke, and not a coff or splatter, just a perfect operating motor. You do get some fumes, but that is petrol buring... It is no worse then any 4st fumes, it just smells a bit different,,,, not stronger..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast