User Tag List

Page 4 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 54 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=vnemous;1497815]But alot of these guys are notching there transom and widening their pad. I was looking at the Velocity RLC bought and my friend Marc (waterboy1) and they are bigger than mine. Just thought, with the notch and pad they should be a little faster. My Challenger is a tank and I bet it weighs pretty close to an early Velocity.

Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of things you can do to to get more speed. I don't doubt there are 21 foot hulls that will do 90-100. I don't know that I would want to be on one...LOL

I was thinking of the next model up, the 24 with the 24 degree hull. That's actually the one I like, I've seen it with twins and it needs them.
    Boats love hundred dollar bills.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AirRide View Post
    The 21 Challenger is about as straight forward a design as it gets. Your basic 21 1/2 degree constant deadrise vee. No stepped transom. An undersized 6" wide pad that does very little for overall hydrodynamic hull lift, until the highest speeds were reached. The pad and lifting strake edges weren't tooled with the sharpest corners. Basic transom angle of 11 degrees. Basic motor/splashwell design. A very simple, basic deck design. Nothing to it. .
    Sorry but the deadrise is not constant.......and the deadrise is also compound curved going forward........ the pad does work...or at least as well as the Velocity's..... and you may call it staright forward...but aside from the transom....built to outboard manufacturer's specs like everybody else........and the rear planing area...... you won't find a straght line on the boat....which costs much more to create...than a series of soul less ( and cheap) straight lines. One more thing ......You couldn't tool really sharp corners into a mold back then...you had to sharpen them after removal...... Even today you risk damaging the corners if your mold is too fine.

Sometimes simplicity and elegance go hand in hand....and sometimes people take masterpieces for granted. Compared to any boat before it...The Challenger was revolutionary.

Sorry to hi jack your thread...... and no criticism intended for the Velocity...In fact, it would be my second choice. But if you think the Challenger was not outstanding you don't know the boat, nor the business.

T2x
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting off subject but yet again, I guess the crutch of my point is, the 21 Challenger design, which I am very familiar with, wasn't any more well designed or tooled, than many other quality small performance v-bottoms built before or after. I should know since my livelyhood has involved these specific hulls in question, and hundreds of others, including the original Stepp AND Regal Velocity's, from the application of mold release agent, through to customer delivery and driving to the bank to deposit his check, for over 35 years. A business I enjoy & I've never left, as some do. We'll leave it at that.
    Last edited by AirRide; 10-23-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up 22 Velocity's Outboards...

What speeds is everyone getting with the Merc 300XS or 300X?
    Last edited by AirRide; 10-23-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a pic of my project, 85 stepp 22' velocity, its going to be very simple and bare. Race hatch, 2 seats, steering wheel, and a foot peddle (and rigging)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Nice project ! IMHO ...skip the race hatch ...need room for women and coolers ! Or at least build in the option!
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,

I've lived with all 3:

Really liked the 22 Velocity V6 Merc/ Liked it better wit a V8 (when they ran)

The 22 Apache with a v8 was bullet proof in the rough if you could take what the boat did. Unbelievable.

I loved my 82 21 Shadow. Fast, fun, Flew higher and ran faster with the V8 (when they ran) than the 2 above.

With a Goodmans nitrous shot in the low 90mph range and dual cable steering Whoa Baby! Lots a bolts in the carrier

Years ago these 2 guys come up on either side. Ones got a 32 Fountain the other is in a 29 Baja. Obviously with serious motors. I step it up on the gas to 75mph and I can see they are about done. I back off a little and hit the button. I will never forget the look on the faces as I backed off and spanked them again.

Once at the beach after the run the conversations were a little less boisterous. Fun!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeylarge View Post
    Here is a pic of my project, 85 stepp 22' velocity, its going to be very simple and bare. Race hatch, 2 seats, steering wheel, and a foot peddle (and rigging)
    Sweet boat!!
    Any more pics? What power?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scott reierson View Post
    Hey,

I've lived with all 3:

Really liked the 22 Velocity V6 Merc/ Liked it better wit a V8 (when they ran)

The 22 Apache with a v8 was bullet proof in the rough if you could take what the boat did. Unbelievable.

I loved my 82 21 Shadow. Fast, fun, Flew higher and ran faster with the V8 (when they ran) than the 2 above.

With a Goodmans nitrous shot in the low 90mph range and dual cable steering Whoa Baby! Lots a bolts in the carrier

Years ago these 2 guys come up on either side. Ones got a 32 Fountain the other is in a 29 Baja. Obviously with serious motors. I step it up on the gas to 75mph and I can see they are about done. I back off a little and hit the button. I will never forget the look on the faces as I backed off and spanked them again.

Once at the beach after the run the conversations were a little less boisterous. Fun!
    Hey Scott,
    How would you compare the Apache and the others in the rough? I gather the Apache was a little better because it was built heavier? Which of the three would you buy if you're looking for an all-around 75 mph boat and aren't super concerned with huge speed?

Great thread, by the way! Very informative!

David

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apache or Challenger/shadow/superboat. That wide pad on the velocity has got to hurt in the rough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
    Apache or Challenger/shadow/superboat. That wide pad on the velocity has got to hurt in the rough.

Not as bad as you would think as long as you run them "flat"!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Define "rough"..........

If your normal conditions are 1-2 foot chop that is one thing. If you can quickly get 2-4 foot rollers in the normal daily outing, that is something different.

Most of the options are built for 1-2 and run very comfortably with a family on board in that type of water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, back where my parents live on Cape Cod, 3-4' rollers are pretty common. I suppose no 21-22' boat will be very good in that water. Here in NYC, it seems like calmer water prevails. If they're all basically the same, I suppose it's just a matter of what's available.
    Thanks,
    David

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DKerns View Post
    Not as bad as you would think as long as you run them "flat"!!
    I rode in a 28 or 29 foot velocity, it too had a wide pad like the 22.

I would take my 24' boat with a narrow pad over that 28-29 ANY day. Running Flat or not. I thought the boat rode harsh and pounded pretty hard.

I do however agree that in a 1' they should all be about equal, 2' I think you will start to see/feel a difference 3-4's and It's starting to get real rough in my 24.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we all know the pad helps with top speed, not the chop.

In a following sea I actually run a little negative trim and a bit more throttle and it feels really smooth actually. The cool factor is high when you hear the motor rip out occasionally.

Going head on isn't for the faint of heart though, you need to really get on it,,, get it flat,,, and trust the hull strength. I would like to move some weight further forward in these conditions, but I don't think the batteries will take the pouding. I move my seat up a few inches, I'm 230 pounds, but that does really help...LOL...I need to eat more I guess...LOL
    Boats love hundred dollar bills.

Page 4 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 54 ... LastLast