Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    150aintenuff, that is very interesting your post above, how is Merc doing the Opti now with a factory jet drive? As you know they have a 3cyl and 2.5 v6 with a merc jet drive....how do they make it work? It must be a different system? Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to totally go off subject, but a while back you guys were talking about the 1996 Direct Injected Mercs that were all failures or whatever??? Me and my Bass Cat rep were talking and I mentioned that and he didnt know what I was talking about, so I figured Id ask here.....Like always thanks guys for helping us non know it alls, and I mean that seriously....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it isnt factory, its an add on by outboard jet out of san leandro CA. ALOT of people here do that, they trade in their lower unit and install the jet unit( as simple as installing a lower unit and installing the right shift cable to the nossel.. BUT the impeller selection SUCKS and because the emmission motors have so much bottom end and mid range torque they arent loaded properly, then on top once the curve falls off the HP isnt quite enough to keep the impeller spun free so it over loads and bogs, causing ALL kINDS of problems... and general liability sucks as well. any time I see someone whining about the optimax and its got a jet system installed on it that is the first place i look.

Quote Originally Posted by DIwacked
    On the other hand, my 04 Opti 250 jet
    the last word is 90% the issue... thus my comments

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lugger View Post
    dont know if its considered a racing moter but i have 400 hours on my 2007 250 pro xs , it packs a 8000 lb boat with a 3.5mpg average it works real hard
    not as hard as DI wacked motor does... you engine is propped to its reccomended RPM range... and is proppely loaded throughout its running RPM..

4-16-2014. 25 years old today... the fishin boat doesnt look to bad for a classic does she

things that were are no longer as they are today...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15" mid

why don't they make these engines with 15" mids?
    -child

'87 Voo-Doo
    DAF

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bworner View Post
    Sorry to totally go off subject, but a while back you guys were talking about the 1996 Direct Injected Mercs that were all failures or whatever??? Me and my Bass Cat rep were talking and I mentioned that and he didnt know what I was talking about, so I figured Id ask here.....Like always thanks guys for helping us non know it alls, and I mean that seriously....
    The first direct injected Merc was the 1997 200 DFI. I heard that Merc made 500 of them (sort of like a prototype to the Optimax). And yes, I heard they all blew up relatively soon in their lives. I have one on my boat, but I put a new powerhead on it. So far, so good. The previous powerhead lasted 70 hours. If this one were to last 70 hours that would be good for about 5 seasons of boating for me Being in the outboard motor repair business, I have NO time for boating.
    It took Merc about 6 years to get the bugs worked out. The new Optimax engines are pretty sweet....now that it is a GREAT engine, they will probably quit making it !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See when I first got into Marine sales the Opti was still a little louder and a tad smokier than the 2006 change....But I have always liked the 2005 model, it seemed to be very reliable, torquey as hell, and had good top end HP, now im talking 150, I wasnt into the bigger motors until 2 years ago.....and I learn daily...See we are 95% BRP, and I personally have always loved the etec, up until 2 yrs ago I was mainly selling 40s to 115s, a 150 or 200 ho now and then, but mainly small ones on toons and little deep vs, and have always been warranty free, even our 225hos, and recently the 250 HO has been flawless for us....and once you said Merc took about 6 yrs to get all the bugs out, I feel BRP is hopefully at that point, they released in 03, and have had some major problems, mainly on the 06 225ho, but my Mercs, Yammies, Tohatsus, have always been flawless, Ive had stupid claims with customers, like cracked oil tank, and computer updates....All im saying is that these days its very rare to have a "Major" claim, especially when a guy looks at the complete #s of units sold/power head and lower unit failures, heck even Yammie had some issues, and the Japanese are usually cautious.....Thats cool you have a 1st year, does it have the picture of the Mercury God? Could you post a picture? Brannon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took some snaps today for ya.....hope I can post em.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my97dfi200.jpg.jpg   my97200dfi2.jpg.jpg   my97200dfi3.jpg.jpg   my 97dfi4.jpg.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2