Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Prop losing bite?

I have an 87 Apache Scout. Some times when the boat comes out of the water it acts like i spun a prop upon re-entry, the motor just revs up with no bite. The first time it happened i actually thought i spun a prop. Once the boat slows i trim the motor down and get back on plane. The motor is a 2001 300x 20in w/a sportsmaster lower spinning a 24 trophy with vent holes. Does the prop just not have enough bite to continue the momentum when it breaks the surface? Thanks for any feedback!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its common deal but you could have some cup added
    we got leading edge proppeler on here the link is under the vendors list
    they can fix it right up

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what speeds is this happening?
    What is your engine height?
    Do you have any plugs in the trophy?
    Are you letting off the gas at all while in the air?

I run a 24 progression with a 26 trophy, with the plugs in place, 300x 20" mid with a torquemaster lower. Propshaft is dead even with the pad, I've never ran into this problem.

I do get a lot of prop slip getting on plane, but have never caught air and had to come off plane to continue on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it is happening at 45-55 mph. Yes i am letting off the throttle while the boat is in the air. I believe the propshaft is about even with the bottom but i will have to check this evening when i get home. By plugs do you mean the rubber plugs in the vent holes on the prop? If so then yes. Sorry this is my first boat with a vented prop. Would not letting off the gas cause this? Thanks, keep the info coming!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jlay,

Did you change the prop? I drove that boat many times and never lost momentum with the prop breaking loose. I don't recall Alex having that problem either.
    David

2000 Powerplay Sportdeck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure, I certainly notice more slip in the trophy then I have had with some other props, espescially at slower speeds, but nothing to this extent.....

I at first thought maybe you had no bplugs and were getting too much ventilation....but that shouldn't be the case.

How much setback is on the boat? is the transom notched? For reference I have no notch in my transom, 20" mid, prop dead even with the bottom of the boat, and 16.5" setback.

I would be fairly certain that my boat is as heavy as the apache, so for arguments sake our boats should be similar in this regard....

Only difference I am noting is I have a torquemaster lower. (Off Topic) What kind of speeds are you seeing?

Oh, and to answer your question about not letting off, it is "possible" that if you didn't let off the prop could spool up pretty hard in the air and then when coming back into the water not be able to get traction, but I'm sure there are plenty of times I have miss timed getting back into the throttle and not had a problem....
    Last edited by Pro300x24LD; 09-24-2008 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be fairly certain that my boat is as heavy as the apache, so for arguments sake our boats should be similar in this regard....
    Actually that Apache is heavier than your Progression. It was a very heavy layup. I believe 2200 lbs bare hull. Very solid in rough water.

Alex was getting 76 on GPS but had not tried any real speed props. I feel the boat would have been faster with a Torquemaster.
    Last edited by Powerplay25; 09-24-2008 at 02:52 PM.
    David

2000 Powerplay Sportdeck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerplay25 View Post
    Actually that Apache is heavier than your Progression. It was a very heavy layup. I believe 2200 lbs bare hull. Very solid in rough water.

Alex was getting 76 on GPS but had not tried any real speed props. I feel the boat would have been faster with a Torquemaster.
    Gotcha, I was thinking for arguments sake it was pretty close....

I don't know what my boat weighs in at, but by looking at where other 24 progressions float compared to mine I am thinking mine might be a little heavy with 4 trim pumps, 2 batteries, hydraulic jack plate, trim tabs, swim platform, full cabin, etc.

I agree on the sportmaster/torquemaster argument and am wondering if that is part of the problem?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slip

Hey Jay, the prop shaft is actually a little below the centerline. I know alot of boats its size guys are running them very high and gaining speed, ie: velocity 22, the progressions and some others but they or most are pad bottoms, the Apache isn't. Also powerplay25 is correct that hull is 2200lbs dry not rigged. It was built with extra stringers and bulkhead and I know my friends velocity is roughly 1500lbs max. With pressure from my fellow boaters, I toy'd with getting the motor up higher on the bracket but it screwed up the dynamics and really didn't pick up speed either.
    I was fortunate enough to speak with Bob Saccenti(the builder) and he said that the boat was built to have that prop deep and if I'm not mistaken it's original V8 rude may have even been a 25" mid but he did say that because of the large setback and the way it affects the prop position that the 300x with a 20" should be fine.
    I never experienced the issue myself but I'd have to agree with the guy that said it's probably the prop.
    I will tell you that the single best prop that I ran on that rig was a 5 blade Ron Hill that I had balanced and blueprinted when I had the old promax 300 on it with the 1.75 gears. It was a 26p and the taller gears with the 300x wouldn't spin better than 5500 rpm at wot. It had an UNBELEVEABLE hole shot and lots of stern lift and excellent handling dynamics. Man that thing had would BITE, it sounded like a mad dog when it would spool up.
    If I kept her, I was going to swap someone a Torque master for my sporty and go back to a 26p. There are plenty of guys on here wanting to do that and should be pretty much a no cost issue.
    Good luck, glad to hear you are doing better than me. My port motor is currently in my garage getting ready to tear it down
    Last edited by 86 apache 22; 09-24-2008 at 05:29 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------

1984 29 Mirage offshore with 502's
    1984 Ferrari 308GTB w/me 4ever! made it through 1 marriage
    2001 F350 7.3 2wd crew cab dually
    1986 Apache 22' 2001 300x SOLD
    1970 AMC/AMX 360/4sp SOLD
    GMC 2500 7.4L whipple charged Dually SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's up Alex, i wanted to email you. I saw that you were looking for some manifolds on oso. I doesn't do it very often, and it may be me still getting used to the hotfoot not letting off enough. It's getting a little cooler down here so i can't wait to see how it runs in some less humid air. I may try some different props and trying to get my hands on a torquemaster. Thanks for the responses!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the boat is that heavy I could see it prop slipping with the prop that high and running a trophy....mine slips pretty bad getting on plane or when I stand on the gas at slower speeds.

Definately need a torquemaster, wouldnt hurt to get the propshaft a hair lower either.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking for a torquemaster, i wanted to keep my sportsmaster for a spare. Do I need one with the low water pickup or are the regular pickups fine? The torquemaster is a different ratio so i would need a different prop right?