Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes Mercury does "typically" have a better lower unit, at least thats what I have always read....but having the Racing division for so many years and perfecting the gears and water intakes that they definitely have a HUGE advantage.....what I like about BRP is that they took a defunct company with at the time a "****ty" reputation, added technology and almost literally overnight cleaned up the OMC machining issues, heck OMC carb models were even "****ty"that last year, they had their engineers perfect technologies that were being experimented on "you" the buyer F.I.C.H.T. and made it their own and simply the BEST DFI system on the market, anywhere....and now this year 2008 they have been proving themselves in Bass areas, ski racing, and in all areas of boating that the HO series of motors can and will dominate the other companies RACING DIVISION, does that mean one is better than the other, no, it means that the BIG BOYS that have been for years sitting and yawning at DFI technologies had to step up the Opti into the kick ass machine it is......All Merc guys do have to admit that for the last 2 years the Production Pro XS has been having some pretty serious issues, and those issues are documented here and on Bassboatcentral.com........just like the E-tec, the HPDI, right yamaha guys, THEY ALL HAVE ISSUES.....if you have a better tech with Merc, BRP or Yamaha, thats who you should choose, if all 3 are great, thats simple, PICK ETEC, just kidding,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks once again! my problem here in the UK is the shear cost of engines, the 150ho motor is a whopping £10,799!!!! equate that in to US$ at todays rate of about 1.80 US$ to the pound= $19438.20. Ouch can anyone help me?!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy one from Jaco's and have it shipped over, got to be cheaper, even with the transportation costs. http://www.jacosmarine.com/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jaco's wont sell them unless they see the boat. Tried to get 3 300's, no deal. Something to do with their deal with mercury.
    97STV EURO & MERC 2.5 260

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdi View Post
    ...Already 20 years ago they had DI 2-stroke cars running, but for some reason DI 2-Strokes did it not into production on car sector.
    I worked for Ford Engineering on fuel injection system for 30+ years, so I have some background.

2 strokes just don't work with catalytic converters and you have to have a catalyst to meet US emission standards The exhaust is "too cold" and even the smallest amount of unburned oil "poisons" the cat.

DI is coming big time. Ford will be marketing as "EcoBoost" and it will hit the road in the US this spring in the Lincoln MKS. VW has had DI for several years. GM will have it also.

In the automotive world, Bosch has the world by the short and curly hairs. The Bosch DI system looks a lot like the Yamaha HPDI. Shortly after E-Tec hit the market I tried to get Ford Research to investigate those injectors and basically was told to stuff it because the did not say Bosch on the side.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
    2 strokes just don't work with catalytic converters and you have to have a catalyst to meet US emission standards The exhaust is "too cold" and even the smallest amount of unburned oil "poisons" the cat.
    E-TEC’s burn the oil totally and completely, It’s all turned into power. Quote,

“Every drop of oil entering the Evinrude® E-TEC® combustion chamber is turned into power. We’re talking complete and total combustion. No waste. Nothing escaping into the air or the water. It’s one of the big reasons we’ve got a consistent, across the board 3-Star rating.”

From here,
    http://atlanticoutboard.com/pages/pdf/2008_EvinrudeBrochure.pdf
    <O</O
    They couldn’t say it if it wasn’t true.
    Last edited by Therapist; 09-05-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GM has been producing the CTS with direct injection V6s since the middle of 07.

I actually think they had them outside the US before that, but not sure...
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapist View Post
    "E-TEC’s burn the oil totally and completely, It’s all turned into power."
    The testing I'm referring to occurred probably over 20 years ago and was done on Orbital engines.

You have to understand, that even the risk of microscopic amount of oil getting to the catalyst sends shivers down the spine of the catalyst engineers.

Even if this issue was solved, it would take multiple kilowatt heaters to keep the cats hot enough to make them work. Why do you think they are so darn close to the engine !

Just to be clear, Ford's EcoBoost and GM's DI engines are 4 stroke.

Another strange "That could never happen !"

Ever wonder why you see RTV/gasket maker that says "O2 sensor safe" ? Because, in the early 1980, they found that mechanics were using similar sealants to stop oil leaks. Those sealants contained silicon compounds. The silicon would leach into the oil and molecular amounts would make it passed the ring and coat the O2 sensor, rendering it inoperable. Many said it could not happen, but it did.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I am sure you are theoretically correct, in practice the 2S DI engine sitting in a car in my garage, a leftover relic from those trials, still passes my state's (in the US) emissions by wide margins with the original spark plugs and ECU settings, with over 45,000 miles on the engine. No cat heater. Too bad Ford canceled production, they'd be cleaning up now.

DIwhacked
    Last edited by DIwhacked; 09-06-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: original made no sense

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My memory is probably faulty, but I recall more than one car company having trouble meeting 50,000 mile emission requirement with the DI 2 strokes. There were some wild ones out there, with valves and superchargers, as well as the Optimax.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdi View Post
    I know that the kompressor only kompresses fuel for direct injection.
    No, it compresses air.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neveredge View Post
    If I remember corectly OMC had a big hand in the Opti develpment. I know Orbital was the origin but Opti was OMCs baby. I just can't remeber the exact association.

Info is hard to find on it now that OMC no longer exists and I'm sure they didn't want the world to know they had a hand in it.
    You are right. The story, according to a source very close to the whole thing, was that OMC got interested in the Orbital system way before Mercury did. They got to the prototype stage, and supposedly the engines sounded just like Merc Optis. I remember someone talking about a whole warehouse full of prototypes.

However, when Mercury got interested in Orbital DI, OMC decided that they did not want to use the same system Mercury would use. Unfortunately, they ended up with the FICHT debacle, and we know what happened.

If they had stayed with Orbital, OMC may well have survived.
    Markus' Performance Boating Links:
    www.toastedmarshmallow.com/performance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You forgot the part about mercury using the OMC "designed" orbital injection and having nothing but ticking time bombs. How about those DFI chrome stripe engines? I remember them, what few of them even made it more than a few months on the tournament boats, that is. Mercury fixed that junk and moved on, now these OMC flag wavers want to claim that the Optimax is their baby. Yea sure.

Everyone concentrates on the type of injection that these engines have, why? Thats like buying a sports car because it has a turbochager, but the closest trustworthy dealer for that car is 200 miles away and you need something to pull a 10000lb trailer. It doesnt make any sense. Ficht is a convienent scapegoat for the poor management and quality control OMC had at that time. Ficht engines work awesome if you get one of the ones manufactured after BRP took over.

Oh, and Bworner, you are still full of sh*t and trying to sell on here without being a supporting vendor I see.
    > Stainless steel Merc cowling plates - $110 shipped TYD - LINK <

1979 16' Action Marine/2.5L Merc S3000 - Metalflake Maniac
    1984 18' Contender Tunnel/2.4 Merc Bridgeport

"Where does the love of God go, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Ficht is a convienent scapegoat for the poor management and quality control OMC had at that time. Ficht engines work awesome if you get one of the ones manufactured after BRP took over.
    And this is from one of the biggest flag wavers ever!
    You sure do have to give BRP credit for keeping the two cycle alive though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1badaction I have NEVER have soliciteda customer, never have told someone that I would beat their price, never have commisioned a guy to drive from AUSTRALIA TO WISCONSIN, ARE YOU NUTS, ITS CALLED SOME OF YOU ARE WORRIED A KID MAY KNOW MORE THAN A OLD MAN........Lets get to the same level and try and help people here and LEARN at the same time.........I dont like dealers that RIP OFF PEOPLE WHEN THEY CAN, thats why my info is here.........Have a good one guys

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast