User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 13' hustler

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baitshopbilly View Post
    I think I have to grind the heck out of the transom, down to the hull.

take a look at this bubble between the hull and the old transom adhesive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hTNrGiji8Q

just when I thought I was almost done grinding.

Just had another look at your video and the mess at the back of the hull .
    When the boat was made the plywood transom would hve been bedded into wet glass sprayed with a chopper gun , then a rough roll out and the transom would have been thrown in and a half heartedly clamp up . The plywood possible would have had a square cut edge and the hull would have a small round at the bottom so it would have slid down and popped away from the corner and would have taken a bunch of the wet glass with it slid down and formed that mess and bubble you uncovered . Lucky you took the transom out !!!
    When you make the new one cut it a 1/2 inch smaller at the bottom and router a good sized radius around the bottom edge where it will sit against the hull ,drop a couple of small wedges in the buttom of the hull to let the plywood sit on them and hold the ply off the bottom . Then when you have stuck the transom in make a stiff talc resin mix with some teased out csm mixed with it and use a putty knife and completely fill the bottom and cove the corner so the new glass will roll out neatly round the corner ,remember the new glass needs to come out onto the hull at least 4 inchs all the way across one side to the other . This will also help to stiffen the very back of the hull bottom where it gets a lot of punishment when its going flat out .

The factory i was foreman for we kept the transom bottom away from the hull about 1 inch and back filled it solid with a resin,talc / glass and silica sand mix .
    When a boat is being launched off a trailer and when its being put on a trailer the very back corner of the hull always get dropped onto and dragged on the concrete ramp and this wears the gelcoat and then the glass and eventually a hole appears and water starts to get in ,so by having this solid and the wood kept away so the water cant get in it lasts longer .
    In extreme cases of inflatable surf boats with glass hulls we mixed silica sand and fine carborundum powder in the gel coat and used it for the whole of the bottom of the hull right from front to back .
    These boats would get continually draged up and down the sandy beachs a hundred times a day during the summer months .
    Its usually so hard a grinder hardly scratchs the surface .
    Have used ithe same mix for the trimming edges of glass moulds as well to slow down the continual grinding and wearing away the flanges .
    I hope all this is making sense for you ! theres method in my madness you know !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You hit the nail right on the head

it was definately a chopper gun mix, and it was real thick. I will definatly lift the transom off the floor. good advice. I would much rather make a patch from the outside than redo the transom.

would a sausage gun be the tool for filling the gap?

as far as the radius on the lumber, I will be taping the edges of the transom before installing, so the edges will be routered for the tape installation. then, after installing, i am planning on using the glue compound to round out all 90 degree angles to avoid air bubbles when laying glass over face of transom.

but for now, it's back to the grind.

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You hit the nail right on the head

it was definately a chopper gun mix, and it was real thick. I will definatly lift the transom off the floor. good advice. I would much rather make a patch from the outside than redo the transom.

would a sausage gun be the tool for filling the gap?

as far as the radius on the lumber, I will be taping the edges of the transom before installing, so the edges will be routered for the tape installation. then, after installing, i am planning on using the glue compound to round out all 90 degree angles to avoid air bubbles when laying glass over face of transom.

but for now, it's back to the grind.

Sausage gun with what sort of a mix ?? Resin /talc and glass mix is a almost indistructable mix but its easy to work with while its in a runny stage . I think it would be a good idea to Vac the transom ply in in place Dosent have to be a hard vacuum just enough to put in together and hold it till the resin goes hard . The vac can be regulated simply by bleeding air into the supply pipe . Make sure the pipe is long and big in dia because it could suck resin and gradually fill up . I always have a pot with a in and a out connection to collect any resin and a couple of big loops in the transparent hose to see whats coming and where its at . Gee Clamps are localised pressure and will make the ply and the glass panel ripple on the surface even with a thick panel on the outside .
    I am sure you will be able to sort all this when the time comes . Have everything ready at your finger tips and once the resin is catalyst its all go and dont have to look for any once you start .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How goes the rebuild ??
    Its either all going well or you gone fishing instead !

Hi just checking yet again hows things going ???
    Last edited by tunnels; 09-30-2008 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh, time to get back to the project. pulled it out and planning on getting back to it!

looking for a 80sx short shaft outboard to really light a fire under my butt. if anyone has one, hit me up!

going to get the marine ply, and some glass this week, and will keep you posted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ahhh, time to get back to the project. pulled it out and planning on getting back to it!

looking for a 80sx short shaft outboard to really light a fire under my butt. if anyone has one, hit me up!

going to get the marine ply, and some glass this week, and will keep you posted.
    Welcome back !!
    Had wondered what had happened to you and the wee boat !
    I have my old 14.6 back in the water and a bit scary , Changed from a old 70 hp omc to a 115 XL 25 inch Yamaha and o-boy has it got some get up and go , has almost got twice the speed as before with the changes i did to the transom , i am planning stage 2 as the winter time project , like a pad and strakes and more dead rise in the forward sections . Is a bit hard on the water entry area .
    Due to the state of the nation it has hard hit us here so the boats packed away till things get better .
    Glad to hear you are getting back into your project . Keep us informed !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad this project didnt get left behind. I have been looking for a Hustler Wildcat for a while now to replace the one my dad had years ago. I miss that boat.

Cant wait to see the progress on this.

Our old Hustler Wildcat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgSWdPfVLOo
    -Kevin
    Project Vulture | Project Vector | Project Vamp | Project CobraJet
    1977 Hydrostream Vulture - Worlds longest ongoing project.
    1982 Hydrostream Vector
    1982 Hydrostream Vamp
    1973 Hydrostream Vixen
    1976 CobraJet Jet Boat - Outboard conversion project
    199? Glastron - aka Boat Anchor
    1976 Pontoon - aka The Family Truckster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tunnels View Post
    Welcome back !!
    Had wondered what had happened to you and the wee boat !
    I have my old 14.6 back in the water and a bit scary , Changed from a old 70 hp omc to a 115 XL 25 inch Yamaha and o-boy has it got some get up and go , has almost got twice the speed as before with the changes i did to the transom , i am planning stage 2 as the winter time project , like a pad and strakes and more dead rise in the forward sections . Is a bit hard on the water entry area .
    Due to the state of the nation it has hard hit us here so the boats packed away till things get better .
    Glad to hear you are getting back into your project . Keep us informed !
    Am just waiting for the paper work and my ticket and i will be going back to Korea to bail the guys out of a bundle of problems they are having on the new project theyv'e been working on for the past 6 months .
    I will be keeping a eye out for your progress while im away .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did your rebuild come out...did you ever finish it?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6