Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 4.3l V6

Hi,
    I just purchased a 2000 Carrera Caliente 18' open bow I/O with a 4.3L V6 (205 HP), 4 Barrel Carb.,transom exhaust, Alpha outdrive with 1.62 ratio, it came with a High Five prop on it (13 1/4 X 21 Pitch). Which I might add, don't think helps my boat at all! An aquaintance has a 18' similar boat, same engine, no transom exhaust and swears he gets 66 mph with a 23 pitch 3 blade prop! If that is true, what would be the dimensions I should get for a 3 blade prop to get the maximum speed & performance? I don't want to go to a 5.0/5.7 V8 engine swap, and all the hassle and added expense. I was curious if I could realistically get 62-65 mph out of this boat with a different prop? I can't afford an engine swap or another boat.
    Last edited by desertriverguy4u; 08-16-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try your buddies prop first. Proping a boat is all about trial and error so I would try your buddies prop and if you dont like it find a shop that has a good selection of props new or used Its better off to find one with used props that doesnt mind leting you try them untill you get it right as long as you dont damage them. On a boat like that the prop is going to the best performance upgrade you can do. Even going to a v8 probley will not get you much more than running the right prop w/ the v6. Dont wast your $$$ tring to turn a whore into a housewife If the boats hull want desined to go faster you can throw all the $$ you want at it and it wont do anything but burn more gas and make the boat unsafe. Remember that throwing more Hp at a sterndrive boat is not the same as hopping up a boat with a outboard you cant play with engine height and setback like a outboard and that has more to do with one boat running off and leaving another of the same make and model w/ the same HP. For example on a brand new boat (sterndrive) I belive both were 5.0 carb motors one was spanking the other these were right off the truck from the factory we found that whoever put them together had got the X dimension off when drilling the transom and it made the the boat a little faster due to elevated drive height If you didnt run the boats side by side or just have the experience of driving the boats all the time the average Joe would never have known the differnce.

just my 2 cents but I have seen alot of boats come through with larger motors stuffed in them with no sugnificant gains.
    And remember and this is very true with strendrive boats For every $1000 you spend trying to make it go faster you can get about 1-3 mph gain so for $5000 you can expect 5-8 mph and alot more fuel.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like your asking for more than this combination is capable of in stock configuration. A prop change will improve top end performance but you will likely sacrifice drivability running a prop that will give you ultimate top end speed. moving weight like batteries ang gear as far aft as possible wiill help with performance and this doesn't cost anything but some time and effort. how fast are you running now on gps.