Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water in gearcase

I have a 2005 Merc 300x with a Sportmaster lower unit 1.62 gears. After a day of running I discovered gear oil leaking from the low water pickup. I drained the gear oil and found a small amount of water in the gear oil. I refilled the LU and again got a small amount of gear oil leaking from the low water pickup holes. The dripping stopped after a few minutes.

I have not disassemled the LU yet but I was wondering if anyone could guess where the leak might be coming from.

My guess is either the water pump base or the shift shaft seals. Also, can anyone tell me how difficult it is to replace shift shaft seals. Does the LU have to be emptied to replace shift shaft seals??

Thanks

Seamate

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Get the modification that Taylor Marine has for the shift shaft seals and the water pump gaskets. Should stop all water from getting in. Chuck
    CHUCK & TRACY FREELAND

1990 25 Talon with twin Merc. 300XS's
    1983 Mako 21 with Merc. 225.
    www.Fullthrottlepowerboats.com

NEVER FORGET 9/11

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cellphone, food stamps, section 8 housing, a six-pack of beer and he'll vote for a Democrat the rest of his life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it,s the shift shaft seals leaking out the pickup holes. I think your right about the pump base. make sure your not over filling the case or the oil temp. will push the oil out the weakest seal.