Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question First-Time Jet Drive Owner w/ Questions

Hey guys -

I'm currently looking to get into another old boat, and I came across a really cool old 73 Glastron V-212 with a 351 Windsor and a Jet Drive.
    The motor was just rebuilt, and has about 4 or 5 hours on it. Everything sounded fine, but the owner says it tops out at about 30-35 MPH, based on the speedo mounted on the boat.

Now I've never owned a jet drive boat before, but my 69 Larson 16.5' with a 120HP 4-cylinder and a traditional outdrive will run 30 with 4 people and a load of gear.

Is there something wrong with this boat, or is this a disadvantage of jet drives? I would think with a big honkin' V8 it would be much faster, like at least 45-55MPH.

Your opinions are appreciated. I don't want to get into a boat that is a basket case.

TJ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting that no one has responded to your post. Anyway, I get the impression that speedos aren't always reliable. Sounds like a sweet boat, I wouldn't give up based on the speedo. Good luck.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the older jet boats hull designs and pumps realy were dogs. The lighter the hull the better. It takes a lot of power to move a jet boat fast. I have a freind with a catilina jet boat with a 455 olds in her and it had an older berkley pump that needed atention. He was seeing 47 on GPS next to me. He upgraded the pump to aan American turbine with a snoot and deverter. New impeller and oversized bowl. He blue printed the bottom of the hull and tweeked the motor. He then saw 55 to 59 but couldnt break 60. To me the money he spent just on upgrades would have goten him a 100mph outboard! That being said if you want a fast jetboat buy one thats fast already. There was a nice one on ebay just posted today. Im not sure how fast she goes but it looks done right and mint for 10,000! There is a company down south Texas I beleave? Called Gatorjetboats. They make Hot Aluminum hulls with graphics that are sweet and have sport Jet motors in some that go 60mph! Power to wieght is everything. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-...3286.m14.l1308 Thats a sweet jetboat. Hears a link to gators site also. http://www.gatorjetboats.com/Gallery.html Check out the yellow one top of page 4th over and the 5th one also!!! Those ones are 100mph jet boats. All aluminum and sweet!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated above, don't count on speedo for actual speed. If you have a handheld gps, you can get a more accurate reading.
    Jets are notorious for requiring a lot more power for high speed. But they plane/accelerate quickly.
    It depends on what you want out of it... High speed, get one built all ready or stay away from 'em. Gets very expensive to make them fast and requires a lot of gas!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to S & F
    Jets cost lots of $$$$$$ to go fast.

V-king jet boat
    Seadoo speedster 200 310hp
    Hole shot http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...t=MOV00922.flv

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your speed estimate is closer than the speedo reading. who would build or buy that boat if that's the true numbers. maybe the previous owner bought it used and the pump was already wastin gas.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jet boats are great.

Quote Originally Posted by cltch View Post
    As stated above, don't count on speedo for actual speed. If you have a handheld gps, you can get a more accurate reading.
    Jets are notorious for requiring a lot more power for high speed. But they plane/accelerate quickly.
    It depends on what you want out of it... High speed, get one built all ready or stay away from 'em. Gets very expensive to make them fast and requires a lot of gas!
    I'm building my 4th jet boat now. Basically any time you get away from a prop drive you loose (some) power. The good thing about jets is they are almost maitanance free other than the common things we have to do. But the power and the noise from a big block is cool. My last one was a Southwind hull with a stock 454 cylinder block, 525 split duration cam, Torker intake and a Carter 750 carb with alittle head work making around 500hp. I could run basically all day on 20 to 30 gal of gas and that boat topped out at 80 on gps. Keep in mind that the majority of your high hp outboards only get between 5 to 10 miles per gallon. With a jet, you do not have anything hanging below your hull unless you are using a droop snoot and a rudder and that is minimal below the hull. You also have less moving parts in a pump. I currently have a i/o Sea Ray and two cc bay boats but I can't wait until I finish this jet. I miss the speed on the water.