Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Evinrude View Post
    Attachment 289218Attachment 289219It was/is my understanding that the Tahiti was a splash of a Sidewinder? It doesn't really matter, they're cool boats, but they do make for interesting rides above about 60 mph. The lack of a pad just makes 'em chine walk like mad.

I've got a 16 'Winder SS that had a 150 Johnson V6, and a 16 Winder Lo-Pro that's getting a 160 - 170 Evinrude V4, after a pad is added
    If I can reply to this older post; How does it run?
    Any porpoising problems? Beautiful boat. Always wanted one since my first ride in a 70 low pro w/a 125 Merc but got a Carlson CVX 16 instead.
    It was a mod-V hull thought to be made in the early 70's as a Sidewinder and had many clones.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I've got the pad on it now, and tried the modded V-4. It didn't get to anywhere near what it should have run, I found out the supposedly 160 to 170 was closer to about 150 hp. So I dropped on a 235 'Rude It porpoises like crazy!! It didn't do it without the pad with a 115 on it, but with both the modded V 4 and the 235 it's just a bouncing SOB. I couldn't drive through it with the V4, but with the 235 once I get it up on the pad it runs good. Coming off the pad is another story, I have no idea what the boat is going to do... sometimes it just settles down, other times it's a white knuckle ride. I don't have a lot of time on the set up yet, I'm hoping I can sort the bugs out of it in the new year. I only ran it for maybe an hour, and I cooked 2 pistons in the 235.

So, it's still a work in progress. The best speed I got with the 235 was about 75 mph, I have a long way to go with the set up. I may even pull the 6" jackplate, and bolt the motor to the transom and try that to cure the porpoising. Here's a couple of pics of the pad, it's a copy of a Charger DL pad. My buddy made it in his mold, and grafted it to my hull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1788.JPG   Finished pad.JPG   finished pad 2.JPG  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need more details about the modded V4. Looks like your pad is V-ed. Most are flat or concave between the strakes. Does it Chine walk? I think chine walk is reduced when you raise the motor. Mine is a small block 140 Johnson Looper. With trim tabs. Tried to adjust them more neutral but it just porpoises. OK with them flat now. 1" setback blocks with cav about 1" up. The Carlson pad is not made right, in my opinion. Hope you have a warm building to work on. Looks like we're in for a long winter even here in Nebraska.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The boats are all put away for the winter, it's getting onto snowmobile time here. The V4 had some porting work done, CCM reeds, 1 3/8 carbs, dry stacked, and was in my opinion putting out about 150 hp at the prop. The pad does have a slight v, but it's the same as what's on my Charger SK, and that boat runs nice all the way into the 80's. I have a 6" jackplate on the 'Winder, and have tried the motor in all heights. So far it's been the best with the propshaft level with the pad, but that's as far as I can lift the motor for now. I'll have to make some changes to the jack next year. It does still chine walk, but only when coming down in speed, not on the way up. Between that and the porpoising, it's a handful to drive. I think that with some more set up effort, I can calm it down.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old fiberglass View Post
    Speaking of Tahiti the pictured 70's jet boat has to be one of the most splashed/copied hulls. Below is a list of the companies that splashed it. Not sure who the original designer was.

Kachina
    Anthony
    Challenger
    Charger
    Tahiti
    Hondo
    Cole
    Another one you can add to the list is Wriedt. Had a 16' that was definitely a clone of the 16' Tahiti which I thought was a clone of the 16' Sidewinder.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever heard of a Dorado? I swear it's a clone of a 14 Sidewider SS, right down to the pad. One of my buddies just bought one, and I was checking it out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an excerpt from Sidewinder's History:

In 1971, Ken Baker, president of Sidewinder Marine, Inc. in Palo Alto, California was in litigation over a lawsuit filed by Sidewinder Marine against twenty manufacturers, who had copied the revolutionary Super Sidewinder design, first produced in 1970. Imitators included Marlin, Tahiti, Wriedt, and Taylor. In 1971/72 production moved from Palo Alto to Anderson, CA. and by July 1972, at least four manufacturers had admitted infringement on the Sidewinder design patents. About 1971 Canadian Sidewinder production moved to Ontario, where, by 1972, they were manufactured as Sidewinders - not Cobras, by California Glass Marine.

Seems there was a lot of copying going on back then

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brocluno View Post
    Here's an excerpt from Sidewinder's History:

In 1971, Ken Baker, president of Sidewinder Marine, Inc. in Palo Alto, California was in litigation over a lawsuit filed by Sidewinder Marine against twenty manufacturers, who had copied the revolutionary Super Sidewinder design, first produced in 1970. Imitators included Marlin, Tahiti, Wriedt, and Taylor. In 1971/72 production moved from Palo Alto to Anderson, CA. and by July 1972, at least four manufacturers had admitted infringement on the Sidewinder design patents. About 1971 Canadian Sidewinder production moved to Ontario, where, by 1972, they were manufactured as Sidewinders - not Cobras, by California Glass Marine.

Seems there was a lot of copying going on back then
    Oooh yeah there was copying:

Here's my clone of a Sidewinder LowPro:
    https://goo.gl/photos/qmovWKovnSHDiN146

https://goo.gl/photos/nfFdwt47bvLLhAfLA

https://goo.gl/photos/DzSqhL6vWGjqKCUR6

55 mph with just me in it. Stock '75 bubbleback, no pad, but that classic Sidewinder, wide round keel with a strake on each side, "kind of like" a pad. Mine is called a Sportline, by Sportster Mfg. co. of Paramount, CA (suburb of Los Angeles). Sportster did not make speed boats. As far as I know, mine might have been the only one. I met the oldtimer who built mine. We became email pen pals, until he died a couple of years ago. He was shop foreman at the time. He said they eventually went out of business, swamped by the chopper gun companies. He said the owner of his shop insisted on hand laying, full encapsulation, and no shortcuts. Tough to maintain, when others are making the "same" hull by chopper gun, and the consumer doesn't know which is better, only which is cheaper. Bummer.

-Peter
    "padded wonder"
    17' boston whaler alert, 90 merc fourstroke
    13' boston whaler, 40hp yamaha

the dry:
    2003 bmw ///M5
    1993 mustang/griggs racing road race car
    and a handful of clunkers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice running Tahiti with OMC 4 for sale at Apple Valley Marine, California--Mickey has specifics~~!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to have a Banshee around 1970 just for a ski boat, kid of looks like that..Jim knows where they came from, I forgot. It was a great ski boat though with my Bay of Pigs Merc 700 on it..Traded my G3 for it from Tommy Sikes..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Banshees molds were the origin of Action Marine. Barney bought a couple of boats from Banshee and had a business relationship with them. Barney and I turned one of his Banshees into a JP/SJ boat. I raced it a few times. It was like trying to drive an over powered oil drum. Single RideGuide steering didn't help much either. Those molds were the original 16' Action. We eventually got one to run over 70 mph with a 1500.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
    t..Traded my G3 for it from Tommy Sikes..
    ---Wonder where Tommy got it---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    ---Wonder where Tommy got it---
    I didn't know it came from Tommy for about three months. I didn't know Tommy either at that time. The deal was made by a friend of mine on my behalf. The registration worked so I was happy.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    The Banshees molds were the origin of Action Marine. Barney bought a couple of boats from Banshee and had a business relationship with them. Barney and I turned one of his Banshees into a JP/SJ boat. I raced it a few times. It was like trying to drive an over powered oil drum. Single RideGuide steering didn't help much either. Those molds were the original 16' Action. We eventually got one to run over 70 mph with a 1500.
    Thanks Jim, that's what I thought you had told me, but because of CRS I wasn't sure.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    The Banshees molds were the origin of Action Marine. Those molds were the original 16' Action.
    ...Not to be confused with the "original" 16' Action / HydroStream Ventura 1 boats, correct? They came along a couple years later...?
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 01-07-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast