User Tag List

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    I forget how good looking the Laveys are, The custom manufacturing shows.
    I hope you have good luck with a Drag motor on a heavy boat. My 260 was a horn motor with a 1" spacer, higher compression and porting. If you have the money you can keep it running. Check the torque on the lowerunit bolts often. A couple of mine vibrated out and I broke the tail off of the mid section. The loctited upper bearing cap screws backed off into the $800 fly wheel.
    If you have problems I would go for a 300XS of 300 E-tec. Just keeping the RPM below 6500 is the main factor. Harmonics on a 2.5 can be a bitch. Rebuilds (Re-Ring) every 100-200 hours was a factor also.

Shap, Sharp Rig
    Not speaking for Moomba, but the last owner Tony B had Jay Smith build this motor specifically for the Lavey, so weight of the rig was known as Jay tailored the build. That's why I'm real interested in how well it is working out.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me Too!

I hope it works out for him.
    I know my experience cannot be typical because no body would run them
    Jay builds a great engine.
    The first owner of my Lavey bought it from the L.A. boat show in 1989 with a 2.4 on it. In 1992 or 1993 he bought the 260 from Mecury Racing and shipped it directly to G-Force for the work, Gene was aware it was going on a Lavey.
    The 2.5 was the badest ass running motor I ever ran. I could never get more than a few minites at a time over 90mph with out problems.
    If I had enough money to have two 2.5's (one spare in the garage) I would consider running them.
    I dont have the cash, 80+ is as fast as I can afford to go
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1500+ views, so people clearly want Laveys!

Nostalgia inboard circle track racer:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lavey circle racer.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moomba,congrats on your new toy!She's a beauty and hope we'll get to see it at the Ct.River Run,Romp,etc.!Enjoy!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the date for the river run this year?? George Fuller made it in my My old STV last year.

Quote Originally Posted by stokernick View Post
    moomba,congrats on your new toy!She's a beauty and hope we'll get to see it at the Ct.River Run,Romp,etc.!Enjoy!
    Last edited by moomba; 07-31-2009 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually third weekend in October.George has made it to the Romp,too!Are you in route,home,or what?!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having it transported back. It should be here on Monday and in the water Tue. Here is a photo of it leaving AZ.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More Laveys from cyber space
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lavey red pink.jpg   lavey red.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know where this Sebring ended up? It was for sale on the Kentucky Drag Boat web site a few years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dragbig%20lavey.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know where it came from

Quote Originally Posted by sms View Post
    Does anyone know where this Sebring ended up? It was for sale on the Kentucky Drag Boat web site a few years ago.
    This boat was purchaced new from Lavey by the same guy who bought my boat new.
    If you look back at my earlier post.....
    After Gary (original owner) purchased the 2.5 G-Force drag motor he took my boat drag racing. He removed all of the interior except for the drivers seat of course. Then he had a cover made for the rest of the cockpit (Canvas). He had a set of very tight heads for the drags. There are still brackets welded to my trailer for a custom racing fuel tank. He used to haul the racing fuel to Dale Hollow with him under the boat.
    After all of his efforts he wasnt in first place......That pissed him off.
    So he took the drag motor off of the 20.2 and put the boat in the corner of his toy shop.
    To go faster he had Lavey custom build the 18 footer in a light lay up. He says they really didnt want to, Im not sure how much the 18 footer tips the scales. Fast Eddie would know, he is good freinds with the original owner (Gary) and the second owner of my boat (Im the third).

As far as how he did racing with the G-Force on the 18 footer , I dont know. He sold that boat to the guy that raced in in the KDBA. Then he Put the G-Force back on the 20.2 and went boaing. Last I heard Gary had a large tunnel with two G-Force motors.

Where are you Eddie ?
    L.T.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I recall, the KDBA owner/racer was Jim Dunn when I found it for sale. It was high-points in class that year. Wondering if it's still racing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaveyT View Post
    This boat was purchaced new from Lavey by the same guy who bought my boat new.
    If you look back at my earlier post.....
    After Gary (original owner) purchased the 2.5 G-Force drag motor he took my boat drag racing. He removed all of the interior except for the drivers seat of course. Then he had a cover made for the rest of the cockpit (Canvas). He had a set of very tight heads for the drags. There are still brackets welded to my trailer for a custom racing fuel tank. He used to haul the racing fuel to Dale Hollow with him under the boat.
    After all of his efforts he wasnt in first place......That pissed him off.
    So he took the drag motor off of the 20.2 and put the boat in the corner of his toy shop.
    To go faster he had Lavey custom build the 18 footer in a light lay up. He says they really didnt want to, Im not sure how much the 18 footer tips the scales. Fast Eddie would know, he is good freinds with the original owner (Gary) and the second owner of my boat (Im the third).

As far as how he did racing with the G-Force on the 18 footer , I dont know. He sold that boat to the guy that raced in in the KDBA. Then he Put the G-Force back on the 20.2 and went boaing. Last I heard Gary had a large tunnel with two G-Force motors.

Where are you Eddie ?

Lavey is very reluctant to build a one off light layup in any boat that wont be used for racing only anymore- and even then they just dont want to do it.

They have been sued by people that have crashed boats racing, one guy took a 30 year old production model - chopped the interior out of it, compromised the structure to get it "light" and then overpowered it, and of course- had a problem.

The Camire family that owns the company today didn't even build that boat- but they were still found liable for this d-bags stupidity on the claim that they bought the name and all therefore own all prior liability.

Its guys like that - that cause the prices to go up, and effectively "choke" entire industries of profit to feed the insurance companies and attorneys.

Of course the upside of a slightly heavier, stronger layup is that you get 15
    & 20 year old boats that look like these do and will continue to provide decades more of boating pleasure free of structural issues that plague so much of the el-cheapo crap out there today.

UD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sms View Post

Bob- doesn't that look like Mark Millers old boat?

Dont know where it is now, but I know where its been before this guy had it.

UD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
    Bob- doesn't that look like Mark Millers old boat?

Dont know where it is now, but I know where its been before this guy had it.

UD
    I don't remember Marks boat that well...the Baker doesn't have a rear view mirror and I try not to look back when I'm goin' that fast.LOL!

Joking aside, I don't remember Marks boat having purple on it. I thought it was white/shades of blue with the checker board across the back. I also don't remember the stripe on the side but it was a long time ago.

96 Cougar 23 MTR twin 300XS's. 100 something
    98 Laveycraft Sebring 20.2 Tunnel 280 90 something SOLD
    85 Baker RST 220 Laser SOLD

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The color was technically "Fushia" sp???

I think thats Millers old ride. But I dont get paid to think....

Although every lavey is unique a few are similar....must suck to have a "factory boat" and see yourself and the same "stickers" everywhere.

I remember you spanked him pretty good....

UD

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast